PDA

View Full Version : Better Quiver Ergonomics

Ganolyn
02-18-2010, 10:32 AM
The impressive amount of ammunition selections in the game goes without saying. If you want an arrow that can shoot a flea off of an ogre's butt at 300 yards, they probably have one. Storage is no problem either as quivers that can hold 300 each of twenty different types of ammo are easily available as well. What is a problem is access to that impressive arsenal. Unless you are alone or in a slow and deliberate party (A rare encounter indeed!) there really is no time to shuffle out ammo selections because of the lack of interface between the quiver and the "outside world". You can only quickly access ammo choices by leaving the ammo in inventory and placing them in a short cut bar at the expense of much lost storage (and really defeats the purpose of the quiver in the first place). Even if you know the quest very well and can place the ammo in the order you need it in the quiver, it does nothing to help swap out equiped ammo, to say nothing of multiple opponent types in one group. I have two suggestions for solutions to this issue that I would like to present:

1) Allow the quiver contents to be dragged to a short cut bar like any inventory item, as any ammo in a short cut slot will be equiped if actioned. Have the unequiped ammo sent into the quiver (space providing). This might be useful for other storage bags, although I can't think of how at the moment.

2) Create a UI/keyboard mapping scheme much like the short cut and hireling maps that allow the quiver to be accessed via hotkeys based on the "slot" numbers in the quiver. This would require that the ammo is sent back to it's assigned slot when unequiped, not the first open one in the quiver, so as not to confuse players by jostling around the order of their loadouts.

Thank you for your consideration of this request.

AylinIsAwesome
02-18-2010, 02:34 PM
My archer would love this. /signed.

Rhumor
03-03-2010, 06:49 PM
/signed

great idea

Angelus_dead
03-03-2010, 10:30 PM
The impressive amount of ammunition selections in the game goes without saying. If you want an arrow that can shoot a flea off of an ogre's butt at 300 yards, they probably have one.
Although improving quivers wouldn't be bad of itself, it is notable that the good DDO ranged characters do not use quivers. They generate their own ammo by magic, so implementing suggestions like this would have minimal immediate effect.

Abrazak
03-04-2010, 07:47 AM
I would like to see something like this implemented, if only for the fact that it would mean they figured out how to have the game grab what you want out of a bag. This would put us a step closer to having spell component bags, something a number of people have asked for over the years.

Ganolyn
03-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Although improving quivers wouldn't be bad of itself, it is notable that the good DDO ranged characters do not use quivers. They generate their own ammo by magic, so implementing suggestions like this would have minimal immediate effect.

I disagree. Only upright bow users benefit from this. There is no crossbow AA that I know of. If there were more spells and wands like Flame Arrow I could agree with you more, but fire doesn't always do the job. Also, it does nothing for the casual bow user that could improve their ranged DPS simply by loading the right ammo. I also think all that cool ammo should be for sale and not just available from looting or the AH.

Angelus_dead
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
I disagree. Only upright bow users benefit from this.
Yeah, like I said: all the good ranged characters in DDO.

Ganolyn
03-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah, like I said: all the good ranged characters in DDO.

Well if you are only going to look at this from an elitist perspective, I have no hope of swaying you.

honkuimushi
03-17-2010, 09:01 AM

While the AA arrows are convenient, using special arrows like Greater Banes or an additional elemental effect can give a very nice boost to damage in the right situation. The problems are getting enough of the specials to make it viable and, as the OP stated, being able to switch to them in a reasonable amount of time.

Phidius
03-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I was just discussing this with a co-worker yesterday, and I was wishing for the exact same thing - drag arrows from the quiver to a hotbar for quick swapping.

Currently I only carry Sturdy, Silver, and Cold Iron arrows. I'd actually carry Greater Bane/Slayer arrows if I could easily swap them in quest.