PDA

View Full Version : Another way to alter alignment

Buggss
02-11-2010, 01:22 PM
Ok so the respec options are a good start and for those who want to improve their characters exponentially and have the time to do by TR'ing it's all very nice. There are however those who have characters they spend most of their time on and have made a mistake in choosing their alignments and want to change them but do not have the time to start again and acquire nearly twice the number of xp to get to where they already are.

There needs to be a way to change alignments without going through all the rigmarole of TR'ing. We know it's possible because it occurs during TR so put another option in the DDO store. I'd be happy ro pay a little to fix a small mistake.

Sir_Chonas
02-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Maybe if you stopped punting kittens your alignment would stop trending towards chaotic evil. . . just saying.

AylinIsAwesome
02-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Maybe, but punting anything else just doesn't have that same effect, does it? Just can't get the same thrill from punting chickens, rats or Halflings.

Sir_Chonas
02-11-2010, 03:03 PM
I don't know . . . the cat's seem to slide off the foot. Puppies (pugs especially) are more rigid and lend themselves to greater loft and distance. I still can't get the spiral right, but I'm getting there.

And don't even get me started on babies. Like dipping your foot in a cloud :).

Buggss
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
All very good points but I was actually serious. We know it can be done, why not offer it? Surely it's less difficult to keep track of than 100+ worth of skill points.

markusthelion
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
/signed

FauxSho
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Honestly, I was considering LRing two characters to correct some alignment mistakes... until I found out that it's not possible to change alignment using LR. But then I didn't feel so bad when I saw the prices of the +0 hearts.

Alignment change was the only reason I was remotely considering it. Now I'll just /reroll and save 20 bucks.

LyrandarMemory
02-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Turbine could include a helm of opposite alignment. Just for the fun of it.

Lawfuk Good <-> Chaotic Evil
Lawful Neutral <-> Chaotic Neutral
Neutral Good <-> Neutral Evil
Chaotic Good <-> Lawful Evil
True Neutral -> to some random alignment

,)

markusthelion
02-11-2010, 03:42 PM
This is the one thing that I truly can't understand, why can't I change my alignment? I'm willing to bet that turbine could make a ton of money on alignment changes, but apparently they don't care. They'd rather you spend all your time TR'ing and working your way to the completionist feat, that odds are not many people will actually acheive.

This will probably never be fixed, but I can still complain about it.

MonsterAbuser
02-11-2010, 03:45 PM
I suppose making Haiti earthquake jokes doesn't help alignment either right?

Buggss
02-12-2010, 09:42 AM
I suppose you'd need a conscience... or a sense of humour in the first place.

So, do devs read or answer here or are we flogging dead horses?

EASY MONEY...... Wonder if that helped....

Sir_Chonas
02-12-2010, 09:47 AM
I suppose you'd need a conscience... or a sense of humour in the first place.

So, do devs read or answer here or are we flogging dead horses?

EASY MONEY...... Wonder if that helped....

Should have said "FAST CHEAP PLAT"

Superspeed_Hi5
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Maybe, but punting anything else just doesn't have that same effect, does it? Just can't get the same thrill from punting chickens, rats or Halflings.

Never played Fable huh? "oh look there goes that chicken kicker"

AylinIsAwesome
02-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Never played Fable huh? "oh look there goes that chicken kicker"

Haha, I played Fable a couple years ago so I don't remember everything.

The only time I remember kicking chickens though was that one event where you had to kick the lead-filled chickens onto the pier. :p

Buggss
02-15-2010, 12:39 PM
Come on, come on official types, a yes or a no. It can be done or there's a good reason it can't be done.

Throw us a bone here... ;)

Bogenbroom
02-16-2010, 07:04 AM
To be honest, I never liked the idea of being able to change alignments. Any mech for doing so should be either painful or laborious. JMHO

Buggss
02-16-2010, 07:37 AM
To be honest, I never liked the idea of being able to change alignments. Any mech for doing so should be either painful or laborious. JMHO

Do you also not like any sort of respeccing believing that any small mistake should mean a complete reroll?

You would have the choices of not using these options, that's no reason to stop others.

gillilandjoshua
02-16-2010, 07:47 AM
it should be possible to change alignment, but remember in pnp when u changed alignment the side effects of doing so ? i really want to change alignment on my fvs but im also not a fan of the easy button. imo buying something off the ddo store doesnt cut it for swapping alignment. maybe if they put in a quest line just for changing alignment or something and make it tough to do but possible through clever thought and gameplay.

Bogenbroom
02-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Do you also not like any sort of respeccing believing that any small mistake should mean a complete reroll?

You would have the choices of not using these options, that's no reason to stop others.

Sure it is. In any MMO the challenge (read fun) is both in competing against and environment, and in measuring your achievements against the other players. The latter can only be done by utilizing a standard set of rules... otherwise I might as well say that I think it would more entertain me to have my Pally wield a rail-gun.

Beyond that, changing alignments, as a concept, not as a game play mechanic, is not a simple and quick thing. Sure, if you are "lawful good" in real life and decide that you want to wield that "Pure Evil Turkey Baster" you might think you can just say you are now lawful evil and try to wield it... but your alignment is not what you say you are, it is your moral center. Even if you decide to start going out and punting kittens, you are still a lawful good person acting like a ******. And you will feel the repercussions of your kitty punting as internalized angst.

*ACTUALLY* changing alignments, that is modification of your moral core, takes either A) great personal trauma/upheaval , or B) years of therapy.

PnP rules (as I recall them from v1 at least) reflect this. In that same vein I would argue DDO should.

Nerthus
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
In P&P the alignment means a lot more than being able to multiclass to alignment-restricted classes, or to equip some kind of items without suffering a lvl down.
In P&P the alignment is one of the most important things, every good roleplayer think about it very very carefully because it will affect every decision during the campaign.
Nonetheless, in P&P the only kind of respec allowed is for alignment. No lesser/greater reincarnations, no feat exchanges...

I really can't understand why Turbine was so blind about it in designing this game, but a cheap or free way to respec alignment is really needed.

/signed

Mr_Ed7
02-16-2010, 10:16 AM
In P&P the alignment means a lot more than being able to multiclass to alignment-restricted classes, or to equip some kind of items without suffering a lvl down.
In P&P the alignment is one of the most important things, every good roleplayer think about it very very carefully because it will affect every decision during the campaign.
Nonetheless, in P&P the only kind of respec allowed is for alignment. No lesser/greater reincarnations, no feat exchanges...

I really can't understand why Turbine was so blind about it in designing this game, but a cheap or free way to respec alignment is really needed.

/signed

Alignment is so secondary in this game DESPITE its years of influence in D&D.
The only quest it seems to matter with is the room in Prison of the Planes w/ the halfling!

I am still hoping for a Half-Orc/Evil update one day.

See Knights of the Old Repulic II with its d20 system and it well defined alignment system.

Buggss
02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
Yeah, come on guys. The online and pnp versions have so little in common apart from name and system.

Get that change sorted.

Vordax
02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
The only way I could see it implemented is if your character is currently in a class arrangement that can change alignments. You would probably need to GR/LR into a class arrangement that can have its alignment changed, i.e:

18ftr/2monk wants to be 18ftr/2barb.

First you will need to GR/LR to 20ftr, then do an alignment change and then GR/LR again to 18ftr/2barb. That or they would need to offer a GR+20. The coding to allow a GR/LR+1 to do an alignment shift would be rather complex.

Vordax

Buggss
02-16-2010, 03:34 PM
No that's more complicated than it needs to be. As with a normal lesser/greater it remembers how many classes you want to change depending on the + after the heart, ask you what alignment you'd want to change to and then check if you have enough class changes to be able to agree with the alignment. In other words you wouldn't be able to change alignment if only buying a wooden heart +1 in your example above but a +2 or +3 heart would allow a change.

Easy... ;)

Buggss
02-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Come on.... do it!

Yes or no, it is possible or not?

Ta...

Buggss
02-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Hate to do it but if someone in the know can let us know if this is do-able or not I can stop pestering over it and then I'll know if I'm left with TR or it's worth waiting on a change for GR/LR's.