PDA

View Full Version : Mechanic

riexau
02-11-2010, 11:20 AM
Mechanics need some love.

Maybe add a portion of the rogues repair skill to the damage healed per tick from repair construct?

May actually make +repair items worth something.

AylinIsAwesome
02-11-2010, 02:52 PM
In order for Mechanic to be worth something it needs to actually contribute somehow to combat. A tiny extra little bit of healing from their ability isn't going to improve it as a PrE.

Impaqt
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Eladrin has mentioned "Set traps" n the past for all rogues.... Havent heard anything in a while though...

a Significant damage upgrade to that ability via Mechanic could be a nice buff.

gavagai
02-11-2010, 02:56 PM
Due to their incredible understanding of how systems work, they get a bonus equal to their intelligence modifier to their critical threat range....

*tells free agents to triple the price of thieves kits.* "Business will be good... trust me."

AylinIsAwesome
02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
Due to their incredible understanding of how systems work, they get a bonus equal to their intelligence modifier to their critical threat range....

*tells free agents to triple the price of thieves kits.* "Business will be good... trust me."

Let's see...

Drow, start with 20 INT. 5 level ups. +6 item. +2 exceptional bonus from ToD ring. +3 tome. 36 INT. That's a +13 bonus there.

With a Rapier and Improved Critical: Piercing you'd critical on a 3. Can you say broken?

gavagai
02-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Can you say l33t?

My mechanic fixt that for ya. :D

EDIT: But in seriousness, I think some new feats or Mechanic abilities would really help out.
Insightful Strike -- getting Int damage to attacks that stacks with Str, but is precision based so cannot beat fort.
Insightful Reflexes -- somehow make it an option for mechanics to use better of Int or Dex for reflex saves, Mech II/III ability or add to rogue special feat list.
Reduced search time -- let specialized trapsmiths get near-instant discovery of traps/secret doors, for AP or with PrE
Bomb or trap-laying persistent effects could be really fun, as long as they had scaling damage/DCs for high level content
Allow Mechanic III the ability to reduce the fort of any enemy for a brief time, as they already do with constructs

AylinIsAwesome
02-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I think that if you gave Mechanics the ability to ignore Fortification on constructs in relation to Sneak Attacks it would be a nice boost right there.

Goldeneye
02-11-2010, 03:22 PM
I think that if you gave Mechanics the ability to ignore Fortification on constructs in relation to Sneak Attacks it would be a nice boost right there.

OOohh! that would be very very nice

Hydro
02-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Mechanic definitly needs some love that HOT for warforged getting a buff would be awesome. Possibly even a way for lets say half of their int mod to be added to damage?

Jay203
02-11-2010, 03:30 PM
OOohh! that would be very very nice

but still not enough =P
for starters i think the repair ability from Mechanic should be an instant cast like Divine Healing
then the amount healed should maybe be 1d4 per 3 rogue lvls + Int bonus every tick for 1 min
trap-wise the mechanic should be granted wis bonus to their search, disable, and open lock skills as well

AylinIsAwesome
02-12-2010, 02:30 AM
but still not enough =P
for starters i think the repair ability from Mechanic should be an instant cast like Divine Healing
then the amount healed should maybe be 1d4 per 3 rogue lvls + Int bonus every tick for 1 min
trap-wise the mechanic should be granted wis bonus to their search, disable, and open lock skills as well

How about something like...

Sonic Blast:
1 AP, requires Mechanic 2.

Effect: Your mastery of things mechanical has allowed you to build a sort of "mechanical lute" and an amplifying device for it. The sound it makes though is extremely painful to hear. Five times per rest you may play your "mechanical lute", dealing 3d6 sonic damage to mobs around you for every 2 Rogue levels.