PDA

View Full Version : Zero Death XP bonus for individual

SirAggravator
02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
I noticed we get an XP bonus for zero deaths in the party - I think it was like 10% (might be more).

It would be nice if the bonus was split up so that you are rewarded individually for not dying
and not lose the entire bonus for having a lemming in your party :)

So let's say the 10% was instead
+5% XP for zero party deaths.
+5% XP for zero personal deaths

Rewarding players that keep themselves alive more.

Calebro
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Looking out for your comrades is known as "teamwork" and it's rewarded as such.
I think it's fine the way it is.

Sinni
02-11-2010, 08:14 AM
in one sense this is an interesting idea

but on the other hand there could be another problem like: "i'm a bit low on health, the mob there is beating on the wizard. i better not help him because i'd prefer him dieing than me"

i don't know if this would really happen, but i think it's worth a tought

Steiner-Davion
02-11-2010, 08:15 AM
It would be an interesting idea.

Uska
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
Like the way it is better encouarges people to keep their party members alive as well

Harncw
02-11-2010, 08:34 AM
as it works now... I feel so guilty when I die...

I don't think the whole party should suffer just cause I decided to go toe to toe with a Beholder.

Calebro
02-11-2010, 08:43 AM
Personally, I hate when people cry after someone dies. They whine "awwww, there goes our xp!" I don't care who dies or why, it's always the same.

Just remind yourself (or whoever died) that they're not *losing* anything. The bonus 10% is just that. It's a bonus. These are usually the same people that want to ignore the traps, even though they provide a bonus as well.

Just grab a different bonus and it washes.

Just my 2cp

ghettoGenius
02-11-2010, 08:47 AM

Agreed.

Hadrian
02-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Like the way it is better encouarges people to keep their party members alive as well

True, but especially when pugging you're going to get that wizard with 105 hit points at level 18.

Kind of a funny story:

We were forming a group around level 14 for Prison of the Planes N/H/E and a level 12 fighter asked to join. The group leader asked us if we minded, saying, "It can't hurt."

I jokingly responded, "It could be -10% xp". He laughed and said that he supposed I was right, but I made it clear that I was only joking and that I was fine with inviting the player.

Sure enough, he was the only person to die and he died on normal, hard, and elite.

The 10% penalty might encourage you to aid your group members, but a big part of DDO is being able to handle yourself to a reasonable degree. It's "that guy" that causes the problem that the original poster is posting about, I think.

In the long run, though, there is so much xp to be had that it hardly matters.

EAB
02-11-2010, 09:01 AM
It would be nice to have an individual award and not to punish the group for ones bad play. I have never had this bonus encourage people to play better as a team sadly.

Sinni
02-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Personally, I hate when people cry after someone dies. They whine "awwww, there goes our xp!" I don't care who dies or why, it's always the same.

Just remind yourself (or whoever died) that they're not *losing* anything. The bonus 10% is just that. It's a bonus. These are usually the same people that want to ignore the traps, even though they provide a bonus as well.

Just grab a different bonus and it washes.

Just my 2cp

it depends imo

if someone dies because he doesn't want to listen and runs into traps and dies there or stuff like that, i can get upset about the wasted xp too.
if it happens in a hard fight, well it happens, noone to blame for that.

Knippers
02-12-2010, 11:55 AM
It would be nice to have an individual award and not to punish the group for ones bad play. I have never had this bonus encourage people to play better as a team sadly.

We do. It's called "Solo"

Karranor
02-12-2010, 12:00 PM

I agree, plus this gives much more incentive to be a better player or be blacklisted.

I have definitely seen this improve teamwork and the way a dungeon is run now that we are penalized as a WHOLE group when someone dies.

This game is getting too "solo-y" anyway. This is NOT a solo game. This is NOT other MMO's.

I'm OK with putting some mechanics in that helps people to solo, such as the Casual setting. However, I am against anything that promotes soloing. Splitting rewards to individuals does that.

Phidius
02-12-2010, 12:03 PM
as it works now... I feel so guilty when I die...

I don't think the whole party should suffer just cause I decided to go toe to toe with a Beholder.

Beholders have no toes... perhaps you are thinking of Ogres? :D

We do. It's called "Solo"

Yeah, I use that option a lot. Sometimes, though, I miss the days when there was more incentive to PUG than just because you miss the sound of someone bragging.

Cyr
02-12-2010, 12:04 PM
I agree, plus this gives much more incentive to be a better player or be blacklisted.

I have definitely seen this improve teamwork and the way a dungeon is run now that we are penalized as a WHOLE group when someone dies.

This game is getting too "solo-y" anyway. This is NOT a solo game. This is NOT other MMO's.

I'm OK with putting some mechanics in that helps people to solo, such as the Casual setting. However, I am against anything that promotes soloing. Splitting rewards to individuals does that.

Let me state that the xp bonus for no one dying encourages solo play as most people do not play to hold people's hands and that is what is required if their build has 1/4 the hp it should and no fort which is fairly common among the new players atm.

Phidius
02-12-2010, 12:05 PM
...I'm OK with putting some mechanics in that helps people to solo, such as the Casual setting. However, I am against anything that promotes soloing. Splitting rewards to individuals does that.

Ummm... taking away my 10% bonus because someone else got themselves perished encourages me to solo, not the other way around.

Hendrik
02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
I noticed we get an XP bonus for zero deaths in the party - I think it was like 10% (might be more).

It would be nice if the bonus was split up so that you are rewarded individually for not dying
and not lose the entire bonus for having a lemming in your party :)

So let's say the 10% was instead
+5% XP for zero party deaths.
+5% XP for zero personal deaths

Rewarding players that keep themselves alive more.

What is your plan for the XP bonus for a death then?

Going to reward someone/something for dying and not dying?

nibel
02-12-2010, 06:29 PM
If a hireling dies, the bonus already drop to 5%.

/not signed

AylinIsAwesome
02-13-2010, 08:06 PM
Let me state that the xp bonus for no one dying encourages solo play as most people do not play to hold people's hands and that is what is required if their build has 1/4 the hp it should and no fort which is fairly common among the new players atm.

So true.

I only solo with a hireling or go with guildies 'till around level 9 for this reason, and even then...you still see 'em. >_<

Guildmaster_Kadish
02-13-2010, 08:12 PM

On the other hand, you have nothing to compare it to, so....

Personally, I think it's far better the way it is now--there are some classes/roles that are simply more prone to death. A melee, for instance is much more likely to die than the cleric. Punishing those roles isn't a good thing.

Also, this change would open up the door to all sorts of griefing, which is never a good thing. Right now, in order to take away someone's xp bonus, you have to lose it also. If it was changed, you could grief others with no penalty to yourself.

Just my opinion, of course.

Kistilan
02-13-2010, 08:32 PM

Although this might be true...

Solo play in the suggestion would still add up to 10% for no one dying. :rolleyes: ;) :D

So the only option to discourage solo play is remove the 5% or 10% bonus AND add 5% bonus split to no-deaths and no-your-deaths.

Personally, I think buyer beware should apply to teamwork. Players that care will care. Players that won't will hopefully be chastised by those that care and learn to play better. Players that never care and never learn will never receive as much xp and will eventually find themselves invited only into similar-minded groups.

The endgame results will be the same.

Falco_Easts
02-14-2010, 08:11 PM

I have to disagree with this one. DDO was not a solo game, unfortunately EU is.

I am not arguing either for or against the change but you cannot argue that EU is just as much for soloing as for grouping. One of the many changes made to make the game more accesible to a wider range of wallets... uh, I mean players.

Uska
02-14-2010, 08:25 PM
I have to disagree with this one. DDO was not a solo game, unfortunately EU is.

I am not arguing either for or against the change but you cannot argue that EU is just as much for soloing as for grouping. One of the many changes made to make the game more accesible to a wider range of wallets... uh, I mean players.

I wouldnt say it has become just as much for soloing as for grouping many quests are harder solo or even impossible that way. But it for sure has become more solo friendly much to my sorrow.