PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Sorcerer(8) / Barbarian(4)

Lynx
02-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Hello Everyone

First I would like to ask for only serious, positive advice. I am aware this is a hard multiclass to be productive in. Right now I just made level 12 and I believe at a crossroad. My main idea of this build was that I wanted to have at least 12 levels of Sorcerer in order to gain the spell Tenser's Transformation. I believe that it is possible to be productive in both classes with this race. Here are my stats to this point (12th level):

Ability Base / Current
===== ===========
STR. 13 / 16
DEX. 15 / 18
CON. 15+3ft/ 21
INT. 11 / 11
WIS. 7 / 7
CHA. 20+2ft/ 26

Skill Rank / Total
==============
BAL. 3 / 6
Bluff 0 / 9
Concent 15 / 27
Diplo. .05 / 9.5
Haggle 1 / 10
Hide 0 / 3
Intim. 0 / 9
Jump 4.5 / 9.5
Listen 0 / 4
Move Slnt 0 / 3
Tumble 4 / 7
UMD 1 / 10

FEATS:
=====
Empower
Maximize
Force of Personality
Mithral Body
Two-Weapon Fighting
Uncanny Dodge

SPELLS:
======
1) Magic Missile
2) Niacs
3) Repair
4) Summon Monster
5) Resist Elements
6) Scorching Ray
7) Web
8) Chain Magic Missile
9) Haste
10) Firewall

At this point I also have a Bracers of Divine Power (5 chrgs)
also several scimitars and greatswords
On the spell enhancement side I have several items that multiply my force spells

What I am looking for is advice on where to lead the character and what feats/skills/spells to choose.
Thank you for your time :)

Tanya

Bacab
02-08-2010, 04:29 AM
you should also consider playing a WF FvS LotB build. They get a tensor's tranformation-like ability...and are pretty tough to kill any time.

fliprushman
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
I think that maybe you should focus less on damage dealing spells and more on self buffs and crowd control. With those spells in place, you'll be able to fight as a barbarian close to your level and lob spells to disorient your opponents as a sorcerer close to your level. Try to pick up Greater Heroism as a buff, Reconstruct to heal yourself with a boost, and pick up glitterdust as crowd control. Heighten spell will make it useful at this level. Instead of picking up tenser's transformation as the spell, I'd suggest you just pick up the scrolls instead. It's actually not that useful of a spell because it locks out your casting abilities so use it when you are low on spell points.

Changing your feats, drop maximize for heighten spell because you'll get more millage out of that one considering that you'll be short levels in sorcerer. I would tell you to drop Empower but you can't take improved two weapon fighting in it's place but make sure you try to pick it up asap. Also make sure you pick up Spell Penetration items and the feats, you'll need them. Extend spell may be more useful than empower.

As far as final levels go, you should go Sorc 13/Barb 7. You'll have the BAB of a 13th level barbarian and cast spells as a 13th level Sorcerer.

Now as proof of concept, I currently play a Ftr 4/Wiz 11. I've yet to run into any issues with the character save the fact that most pugs will not accept me. ;)

Gunga
02-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I find it extremely difficult to find anything serious or positive, but will simply say:

1. Bacab is right.

-or-

2. Start over with Wizard (11 Wiz / 6 Fighter / 3 Rogue for instance)

-or-

3. At the very least, get Reconstruct.

Impaqt
02-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Hello Everyone

First I would like to ask for only serious, positive advice. I am aware this is a hard multiclass to be productive in. Right now I just made level 12 and I believe at a crossroad. My main idea of this build was that I wanted to have at least 12 levels of Sorcerer in order to gain the spell Tenser's Transformation. I believe that it is possible to be productive in both classes with this race. Here are my stats to this point (12th level):

[QUOTE]
Deine "Productive" Please.
[QUOTE]

Ability Base / Current
===== ===========
STR. 13 / 16
DEX. 15 / 18
CON. 15+3ft/ 21
INT. 11 / 11
WIS. 7 / 7
CHA. 20+2ft/ 26

What does +xft mean?

Where did you put your 3 Level up Points?

Skill Rank / Total
==============
BAL. 3 / 6
Bluff 0 / 9
Concent 15 / 27
Diplo. .05 / 9.5
Haggle 1 / 10
Hide 0 / 3
Intim. 0 / 9
Jump 4.5 / 9.5
Listen 0 / 4
Move Slnt 0 / 3
Tumble 4 / 7
UMD 1 / 10

Skills are largely irrelevant.

FEATS:
=====
Empower
Maximize
Force of Personality
Mithral Body
Two-Weapon Fighting
Uncanny Dodge

Your feats are all over the place... THey lack Focus. DO you plan on eating a +2 Dex tome so you can get the ITWF and GTWF Feats? Are you trying to get a solid AC?

SPELLS:
======
1) Magic Missile
2) Niacs
3) Repair
4) Summon Monster
5) Resist Elements
6) Scorching Ray
7) Web
8) Chain Magic Missile
9) Haste
10) Firewall

At this point I also have a Bracers of Divine Power (5 chrgs)
also several scimitars and greatswords
On the spell enhancement side I have several items that multiply my force spells

What I am looking for is advice on where to lead the character and what feats/skills/spells to choose.
Thank you for your time :)

Tanya

None of your spells are DC Based except for Niacs... SO why so much CHR? Going into a build like this without understanding how spellcasting works is not a good idea.

Focusing on Direct damage spells is a good thing on builds like this. But CHR is pretty much a dump stat at that point....

The big issue your going to run into in the future is Spell Resistance. The more barbarian levels you take the harder it is going to be for you to use any of that high CHR and Spell DC. Heighten does not help that.

I play a Melee wizard build. so I have some experience int his regard... but I realy dont know what to say as far as recomendations in this scenario because I dont really see any focus at all.... I dont even see how I could change this to get some focus.....

Tensors really doesnt do much for this build. You already have Martial Proficiency and the stat bonus's from the spell do NOT stack with common items. and the BAB bump is easily emulated with Divine Power clickies.. which dont cause you to lose your casting ability.

the biggest problem is this.. You may wind up with a 13th Level Sorc and a 13th level Barbarian....

but Neither is very good in level 18+ Content.

Glockduck
02-08-2010, 06:33 PM
that is a hard one.

You do not bring the ability of a lv 12 sorc to the party.
You do not bring the dps of a lv 12 melee to the party.

Your buffing ability for the group is non existant.
As a front line melee, you have a weak health pool, a low BAB and low strength, incomparison to a barbarian, of same level. ( or fighter or Pally or ranger)

You have seem to put together a 'solo' friendly build, but one that doesnt bring 'anything to the party' to be with a group. You have to create a synergy for it.

at lower levels you need to bring some utility to the group, if your looking at PUG groups as the primary source of your leveling.

Blurr/Displacement/resist and protection from elements are just an example of a benifite you can be. Your firewall although helpful for you while you solo some areas is rather weak, compared to a lv 12 sorc. Greater heroism, stone skin you need to snag as soon as you can.

I guess what I am trying to say, is you need to sacrifice your dps spells, for "Party friendly" how can I make the group better type spells. And make it known, you are a supreme buffer with some melee utilty. If your good at keeping those abilities up on the party, and saving the "nukers" and "healers" from wasting their SP pool from buffing the group. You become a valued party member.

You need to find a way of making your "Jack of some trades, master of none" build and make it more. "Super buffer, make the party better" please accept my unique rather gimp build and make it a part of your group.

I tried to say that as nice as I could. I mean lets face it. can you dps better than a lv 12 barbarian? - No. Are your arcane spells as good as a lv 12 sorc? NO. (your DC is low for your level) Would the party be better bringing along a lv 12 melee or caster class instead of yours? - Yes. Unless of course you are an uber skill player. But since your asking for advice for this unique, well..... gimp build, it is safe to assume you are a fairly new player. This is a spin off of a "batman build" minus the 'Bat'

People are going to be reluctant to accept your build into their group. (your at the Giant Hold level now) It is your job to tell them why they need you. ( and the WHY is missing from it, right now) Either way you slice it, this is a tough build to sell at level 20. Melee casters are a tough build to do. Without the resources and bankroll ability of a couple lv 20's, even harder. I have yet to see a 'good' melee/caster build in action. Most are passable, a couple good. (experienced players) the majority, just suck up a party spot. There is a good melee/arcane build that is welcome in every party setting. It is an easy build for new players too. Its called a "Warchanter" bard.

Lynx
02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Hi Everyone

Ok, first I would like to thank you for being constructive...I guess when I said positive I meant constructive and serious. I am not just looking for people to tell me how smart I am and how perfect my character is :). My main goal is to be as helpful to a party as possible. When I figured out I was 'all over the place' I decided to ask for help. My thought on Tenser's was to use it when the spell points did run out. The spells I have, when I got them was not thinking ahead, but useful for my current level at the time, I always meant to change out spells. The high Charisma is for DC and I do have several Spell Penetration items and weapons. I never did claim to be an expert...lol, what serious player would, but I do have a little idea that I need to be party support first not run as a 'solo-build'. Even now when I run quests it is understood I am not a first line tank or even first line magic user, but I do spend gold on buff wands and always watch my party members with any spell...wand or mine, that helps them. I do not run quests for glory, I always think team first... this game is fun and I try to keep it that way. When I first thought of this I was thinking Sorc 14 or 16 and Barb 6 or 4. I have saved some pretty good Falchions and Scimitars to use later on. Greater Heroism was always a must as was Stoneskin, I'm not sure that Tenser's comes in a scroll. As far as being asked to groups, I play (quest) with friends, I do get asked for groups, even at higher levels. I am team-oriented enough to want to be the most help I can and the least of a liability. So far the people who have responded I feel are dead on. I want to direct the character more now so I am ready for those levels and I know I can do this without re-rolling. Please feel free to comment and thank you for your consideration :)

Tanya

fliprushman
02-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Tenser's does come in scroll form. I have been able to purchase those at the Portable Hole.

From what it sounds like, you would best be suited for Barb 4/Sorc 16. Just make sure you pick up some buff spells and extend spell so that you can buff yourself and your allies and only fight when necessary. Many of my other suggestions do still hold merit too if you are interested in them.

Chukasil
03-02-2010, 12:17 PM
I find it extremely difficult to find anything serious or positive, but will simply say:

1. Bacab is right.

-or-

2. Start over with Wizard (11 Wiz / 6 Fighter / 3 Rogue for instance)

-or-

3. At the very least, get Reconstruct.

I've been looking for the Wiz/Fght/Rog build... anyone know where to find it?

Impaqt
03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I've been looking for the Wiz/Fght/Rog build... anyone know where to find it?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=217342

Monk>Rogue

Phidius
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
...Tensors really doesnt do much for this build. You already have Martial Proficiency and the stat bonus's from the spell do NOT stack with common items. and the BAB bump is easily emulated with Divine Power clickies.. which dont cause you to lose your casting ability...

I just had to highlight this, as it might have been missed.

Tensor gives you nothing that Divine Power and your normal equipment won't give you, and costs you far, far more in exchange.

Chukasil
03-02-2010, 12:38 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=217342

Monk>Rogue

Awesome Impaqt. You Rock!