PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for my solo Ranger 13 ?

lppmor
02-07-2010, 03:25 PM
My Ranger is now lvl 13, and I'm starting to solo lvl 11 quests with a Cleric hireling. I noticed now things are starting to get tough on solo, with mind flayers, constructs, beholders, etc.

Being a Dwarf, I believe my saves are pretty high, and so is my AC, hit points and attack with 26 STR, but I noticed I'm still missing a lot against some mobs (mainly skeletons and scorpions). There is a mind flayer boss on The Enemy Within I can barely hit, with 40+ AC, on top of its DR! I did this quest 3 times already, but died once for its brain extraction..

How can I improve my character for soloing such harder quests now? In addition to the lvl 11+ free quests, I'm going to buy Demon Sands and Giant Hold soon. What you guys reccomend? I'm currently using two +5 Keen Dwaven Axe of Pure Good, which are good weapons. But is it time to change for Mettaline? Maybe Weakening?

Any other suggestion?

vettkinn
02-07-2010, 04:10 PM
What you guys reccomend? I'm currently using two +5 Keen Dwaven Axe of Pure Good, which are good weapons. But is it time to change for Mettaline? Maybe Weakening?

Any other suggestion?

Hmmm, comrade you didn't take the improved critical feat? That will eliminate the need for the Keen prefix in your weapons. Also, my character is a battlemage, one thing that really helps with hitting level10+ enemies are greater bane weapons (x weapon of greater abberation bane, greater elemental bane, etc.) For me, it's all about the right weapons and right spells to cast.

Also, do have the oversized two-weapon fighting feat? Because if you don't, you will suffer some penalty to hit if wielding two dwarven axes.

ka0t1c1sm
02-08-2010, 01:51 AM
I would definitely suggest metalline. If you can score metalline of pure good, even better. I have a lvl 12 Ranger that I try to keep as self sufficient as I can. Not so much for soloing quests, but to also make things easier on party healers and buffers. I keep a stack of weapons (greater bane weapons - giant, construct, etc.) hot-barred for quick swapping as the need arrives.

lppmor
02-08-2010, 06:10 AM
My plan was getting Improved Critical at lvl 15, since I got Power Attack at lvl 12. Now I regret having Power Attack so early, since I can use it only against a few low AC mobs, such as giants and zombies, but lvl 15 is just around the corner anyway. I also got Evil Outsider as favorer at lvl 10, but for now I faced way more aberrations than outsiders, so I hope the evil outsider population start to increase from now on to make my feat worth.

I'm currently using two dwarven axes just because I couldn't find any good handaxe for my off-hand. But I'll keep trying to get a handaxe to increase my attack.

So you guys suggest mettaline and also bane weapons. Thanks. And what about protection? Worth having things such as deathward or spell resistance items, even with high saves? Also, is there any item casting Raise Dead (for resurrecting my hireling)?

ka0t1c1sm
02-08-2010, 07:07 AM
As far as raising dead for a non-cleric? The only thing I know of would be one of those items from the DDO store like the Syberis cakes, and not worth the turbine points for use on a hireling.

For me, protection items are a must. My Ranger being a Drow, the spell resistance is innate through action points. I don't wear armor, my AC is DEX and item (+5 AC gauntlets) based. Deathblock Outfit of Moderate Fortification takes care of that and help me against critical hits. Poison proof necklace, blindness ward goggles, and a stack of disease and curse removal and lesser restoration potions round that out. Still need something to take care of paralysis and freedom of movement, but I'm working on it.

Self-buffs are taken care of with my Ranger spellcasting (resist energy, barkskin, etc.). Toss in a few of cure serious wands, which are more affordable at 50 charges each than 50 cure serious potions would be, and there ya go.

calvinklien
02-08-2010, 07:33 AM
take out beholders with range.

Kralgnax
02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Well, Banes (an even more, greater banes) are very nice cerainly, and you absolutely want a metalline weapon (ideally blunt for clay golems) but you may also wish to consider :

Paralyzers (I have a min level 14 one I just became able to use and love it)
Vorpal (if you're rich ;)
Holy [weapon] of pure good (also spendy)
Holy(best), Elemental Burst(2nd) or elemental [weapon] of righteousness (often more moderately priced0

The UMD on raise dead scrolls is pretty high (plus they're 6k a pop, ouch!), iirc so your best bet is a cleric hireling kept out of range.

If you don't have OSTWF, you really want a light weapon in the off-hand, even if it's not an axe - it's a nasty penalty otherwise. Hand axe, light mace, kukri, light pick, sickle or what have you - that would be a particularly nice spot for a paralyzer if you can find one.

On the Adventure packs, go to the Desert now if you're going - it's only really good for EXP on explorers slayers & rares through level 15, quests mostly through level 13 or so. Of course, the desert is a solid cash cow for much longer. Otherwise just move on to Gianthold.

My 2 cp worth, YMMV

lppmor
02-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I found a paralysing axe on AH cheap these days, but didn't buy because I read it doesn't give auto-crits.. probably noob choice. lol

So, is a Metalline Dwarven Axe plus a Paralysing Handaxe off-handed a good overal configuration? Plus maybe a Metalline Bow for taking beholders and such dangerous mobs?

ka0t1c1sm
02-08-2010, 01:28 PM
I would say a metalline bow would not be as essential. Just as long a s you get a decent bow, maybe with some type of enhancement damage like frost or flame, or seeker to increase the crit range. Once you have 75 House D favor you can get byeshk, cold iron, or silver arrows that will help get past damage reductions.

Kralgnax
02-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I found a paralysing axe on AH cheap these days, but didn't buy because I read it doesn't give auto-crits.. probably noob choice. lol

So, is a Metalline Dwarven Axe plus a Paralysing Handaxe off-handed a good overal configuration? Plus maybe a Metalline Bow for taking beholders and such dangerous mobs?

Metallines are for critters with Damage reduction: Devils, demons, constructs, vampires and the like - the most versatile is a metalline bludgeon weapon, because it will work on pretty much anything requiring special metals, including the exceedingly annoying clay golem.

Beholders have no DR, and few hiptoints, so the general idea is just to stab their faces off really quickly. Deathblock gear helps a lot. You can dodge their anti-magic rays if you're quick, which is likely why some people advocate ranging them down. Me, I just use a blitz attack. I only die now and then..... ;)

lppmor
02-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Ok, thanks for the answers so far.

I just bought a transmuting axe and a transmuting light mace, and found they great for constructs and the like. I soloed the lvl 11 quest Dreams of Insanity, and had no problem reaching the final boss. However, that beholder was just too much for me. Seems beholders have pretty high AC on their own so that I miss most shots (even with Many Shot), and enervation allowing no save is just too powerful for someone not deathblocked. Reaching -9 negative levels in a few seconds is just insane..

I think I'll leave this quest for later, and focus now on the other lvl 11 quests, including Demon Sands, hoping they are easier. And for later, is there a cheap deathblock item I can get, or other easy tricks against beholders/enervation?

ka0t1c1sm
02-08-2010, 11:26 PM
There's the Visor of the Flesh Render Guards that drops as an end reward for Tangleroot Gorge. If you have Necropolis 1-3 you can upgrade the Silver Flame Trinket. The 1st upgrade gives you negative energy absorption, 2nd and 3rd upgrade gives deathblock on top of expanding the uses of the neg energy absorption and continuous protection from evil. You can also find items and armor with continuous deathblock from the auction house or the pawn vendors.

PurdueDave
02-09-2010, 09:57 AM
I noticed now things are starting to get tough on solo, with mind flayers, constructs, beholders, etc.

Beholder's are their own special problem. Many shot makes short work of them. If that's not possible just try and take them one-on-one and have a cleric hireling that can patch you back the negative levels. Weakening is a good debuff for beholders.

Constructs are just DR. Adamantine bludgeoning (for clay golems as well) is generally sufficient. Weapon mod is, IMX, irrelevant because they're generally easy to hit. An arcane hireling with disintegrate will also make short work of them.

Byeshk takes care of mind flayer DR and is easy to obtain on the vendors.

If you're a little short on cash, a transmuting (aka metalline) maul on the cheap takes care of a lot of the basic DR you'll face. Transmuting of pure good of your improved crit type weapon is something you'll want to keep an eye out for.