PDA

View Full Version : Evasion?

spyridon
02-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I constantly see Evasion mentioned as one of the premier abilities for survivability, but according to the description, it doesnt sound as good as it's hyped up to be... so I think I'm missing something.

"Description - When you make a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally does half damage when saved against, you suffer no damage instead."

Are there really that many effects that do half damage when saved against to make it useful in late-game?

Visty
02-07-2010, 12:50 PM
all traps, almost all evocation spells
yes, theres alot, esp if you are spammed with spells by 2 lviing flirestorms and 1 lviing meteorswarm which is about 5 spells per second which evasion totally negates

Oolung
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
for high reflex characters in endgame it can mean that a 400 damage trap or delayed blast fire ball will do 0 damage instead of 200 on a save, and that is pretty major, even with decent hp

EDIT: doh beaten to it

Impaqt
02-07-2010, 12:51 PM
I constantly see Evasion mentioned as one of the premier abilities for survivability, but according to the description, it doesnt sound as good as it's hyped up to be... so I think I'm missing something.

"Description - When you make a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally does half damage when saved against, you suffer no damage instead."

Are there really that many effects that do half damage when saved against to make it useful in late-game?

Most reflex saves in the game are "Save for half damage". If you fail the save you take Full damage. If you Make your save you take Half of what you would of.

With evasion, most time you make a reflex save, if you succeed, you take no damage. This includes traps AND spells.

Yes. Its that good.

Crazyfruit
02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Yes & no. Basically it's like a lazy button when it comes to dodging spells & traps.

There are places where it is EXTREMELY useful, but many others it is practically worthless at. And on epic most of the stuff you'd want evasion for has enormous saves required.

I got rid of it on all my characters. After playing with eva for awhile I found what I really wanted was improved evasion, because the 1s are what get me killed:)

However, if you can't self-heal, that's another story!

Asketes
02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
all traps, almost all evocation spells
yes, theres alot, esp if you are spammed with spells by 2 lviing flirestorms and 1 lviing meteorswarm which is about 5 spells per second which evasion totally negates

can't evade the bludgeon damage from the meteor swarm

Visty
02-07-2010, 01:13 PM
can't evade the bludgeon damage from the meteor swarm

who said the living meteorswarm did cast meteor swarm? :p

Talon_Moonshadow
02-07-2010, 01:26 PM

Yes.

All traps. Which do the most damage of anything in the game.

Just about any spell, or spell like attack, that does fire or electric damage. (with a very notable exception of Scorching Ray)

And maybe a few others.

But it will amaze me to see so many people say that evasion is powerful. Yet disreguard any importance of a high Ref save...especially without evasion.

As IMO, taking half damage from all those things is pretty nice too.

sly_1
02-07-2010, 02:14 PM
all I can say is my squishy bard dies about 80% less after grabbing evasion, and when he dies now evasion wouldn't have helped.

Evasion is hawt.

Rusty_Can
02-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Just a couple of side notes; for evasion to work, your character must:

- have decent reflex save;
- wear light armors or robes *pictures skirt-wearing dwarves* *shivers*.

If your character doesn't match the above requirements, evasion is pretty much useless.