PDA

View Full Version : New to the game, Hireling question

Valkenheim
02-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Two questions really, is there any bonus for running all your instances on epic while soloing, and can you take a full group of hirelings into an epic instance and solo it yourself?

Symar-FangofLloth
02-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Well if you're new to the game you don't have to worry about Epic instances for a long time :D
Only two sets of quests (and the associated raids) are available on Epic right now, and only after you've beat them on Elite and got to level 20.

KualaBangoDango
02-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Sym answered your first question, so I'll answer the other.

If you use the regular hirelings (from the vendor) you can only use one at a time, so you can't make a solo full group.

The only way to make a full group is to use the hirelings from the DDO store which can be used as many at once as you want, but that can get expensive if you do it a lot.

Kralgnax
02-08-2010, 08:18 AM
Welcome to DDO!

It's also important to understand that 1 player + 5 hirelings is nowhere near equal to 6 players. It's probably not even equal to 3 players, and there are no hireling rogues, so traps are always going to be a omplication.

The main complication with hirelings is that they're dumber than a box of rocks, and for spellcasters have only very limited spell slots.

All that being said, hirelings can help a great deal with soloing content for leveling purposes, you just have to understand their limitations, and you really want to know the fights (which is challenging if you're going through the first time)

Valkenheim
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks for the replies, to expand my original question now;

If I buy a cleric hireling, can I level with it to 20? or is it always the same level?

Kralgnax
02-08-2010, 10:54 AM
It's always the same level, but it only lasts one hour, so it's not really an issue.

LordMond
02-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the replies, to expand my original question now;

If I buy a cleric hireling, can I level with it to 20? or is it always the same level?

As your character advances in level, he can rent the services of higher level Hirelings. If you'll look in the Marketplace where the NPCs that sell the contracts are, you'll see that each one offers a range of Hireling levels- groups of threes I think (one is 4-6, another 7-9, etc.). Note that you cannot (so far as I know) rent a Hireling higher level than your character is.

As for the hour duration...unless it has changed in a patch that is actual in quest time. And if the hour is up and you have your hireling out and are still in a quest, the Hireling will not disappear unless you leave the dungeon (one way or another- completion or death and release for example) so it is possible to get a good bit more than an hour use out of one.

I have found the FTR Hireling to be of decent utility if I happen to be playing one of my healers and the Cleric is better than nothing (marginally) if I'm on one of my melees or casters. The one thing you have to bear in mind is that they are extraordinarily limited in their memmed spells and their AI is, ah......'unremarkable'.