PDA

View Full Version : Moderators Discussion?

CraziAsian
02-06-2010, 09:34 PM
So... I did a search for a moderator discussion, and found nothing. Has it really never crossed anyone's mind to have moderators on each server to cut down on the **** in chat?

What spurred this, was that today I was reported by someone over what I thought was a harmless joke because of the trade channel spam I was getting (btw... if nobody wanted to buy those +5 dwarven axes 30 seconds ago, nobody wants to now either). Apparently he thought I was making a pedophile joke on the trade chat. I think he just has a really horrible mind. Anyways....

So while its cool that we as players CAN report things directly, it would cut out some of the **** if there were just players who were publicly recognized as moderators. It would scare off some of the idiots before they posted stupid stuff. Especially if there were a way for moderators to check the ban history on a player. Things would just keep getting worse and worse for the person every time they posted stupid **** in the chats.

What do you guys think? I'm sure some of you are offended by the idea that we need moderators at all... I mean what are we? 12-year-olds? But let's face it, there are kids on here as well as adults, and we need some ban-hammers handed out from time to time.

CraziAsian
02-06-2010, 09:36 PM
I don't know why the word i used is censored in my post, but it is not the first 4-letter word that comes to mind that fills in the blank. Mine starts with a c. Promise.

Aspenor
02-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I think giving the ability to punish other players to players is a bad idea. There's far too much potential for griefing. Trust in a video game is something easily broken, as has been shown by early testers' egregious exploiting of game mechanics which they knew about from testing.

CraziAsian
02-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Other MMOs have in game moderators. Is there potential for grief? Yes. But I honestly think if it's done the right way, there won't be. If you want a demonstration on how it works, visit kogregate.com. It easilty has the best moderator system I've ever seen.

Lorien_the_First_One
02-06-2010, 10:39 PM
Other MMOs have in game moderators. Is there potential for grief? Yes. But I honestly think if it's done the right way, there won't be. If you want a demonstration on how it works, visit kogregate.com. It easilty has the best moderator system I've ever seen.

It's not needed. We have an in game reporting system that works just fine.

CraziAsian
02-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Apparently you didnt read the first post. It isn't working. That's the problem. I see some of the same people spamming every day. I see the some racial slurs by the same person, 12 hours after I reported him. Just saying.

cardmj1
02-07-2010, 01:20 AM
Actually, I like the idea. Yes, there is a possibility of griefing so it will take some time for Turbine find the right people to do the job. It would not hurt to test it and see if it helps cut down on the nonsense in general chat, trade and all the misinformation flying through the advice channels.

Durion
02-07-2010, 01:39 AM
Actually, chats in general have gone downhill since, I don't know, September? Alot of the problem IMO (<----- that means OPINION, not fact based data) is there is an influx of immature children that have came into our little community.

Now, before I start, I'm going to open by saying I have no problem with F2P and am not trying to "offer a solution" that will shut it down. I do however, believe (<----again, opinion, not based on any hard facts) believe that F2P was introduced to bring more people into the game in the hopes that they would become paying customers.

What I think would be a viable solution, re-institute the 10 day "trial period" that we had before. Like the game? Good, whip out your credit card and pay out, say $1.99 for F2P access.

Alot of these "children," are not going to have that option. Those same "children" aren't going to be able to contribute finacially to the game anyhow, so their loss wouldn't be all that bad of a thing.

Will this fix everything? No. But I do believe that it WILL cut back on alot of the "problem people" we have in the game atm.

So again, just to reinterate. I'm not anti-F2P, and I know placing a "$1.99 surcharge" does not contitute F2P, but I do see it as a viable cut-back on some of our problems.