PDA

View Full Version : improved roaring vs cursespewing?

RS-Makk
02-06-2010, 10:01 AM
So what's the real difference between these two weapon attributes and what's better?

Improved Roaring vs. Cursespewing

And what about improved roaring vs improved cursespewing

What do you folks recommend?

Hjarki
02-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Improved Roaring causes Shaken on every hit, which is -2 to a variety of attributes (the most important generally being saves). However, Shaken is a fear-related effect, so quite a few opponents are simply immune (undead, oozes, constructs, bosses, etc.). This tends to make Improved Roaring a mid-range weapon attribute that you replace once you get a better weapon. Indeed, the major virtue of Improved Roaring is that it's equivalent to the various elemental damage boosts (Flaming Burst, etc.) on a weapon with a decent critical except that it's Sonic damage (which is almost never subject to resistance or immunity). Given that there is no such thing as a 'Screaming Burst' weapon, this is as good as you get for Sonic damage on your weapon.

Cursespewing generates a "Curse" if the target fails a Will save. The curse is -4 to most of the same attributes and affects a slightly wider spectrum of opponents (undead, for example). Also, Cursespewing normally affects bosses, while Shaken rarely does.

Improved Cursespewing merely raises the DC for the Will save. Some claim that Improved Cursespewing and regular Cursespewing 'stack' (providing -8 when both applied), but I have yet to confirm this.

Normally, Cursespewing is another 'mid-range' attribute. Against most targets, you're far better off ripping away just their Fortitude save (Fortitude is the save used against most save-or-die spells) with Weakening of Puncturing or killing them outright with Smiting/Disruption/Vorpal/Banishing. However, Cursespewing does work against bosses, which is why you see support melee classes bust out the Cursespewers on boss fights on occaision.

RS-Makk
02-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Thanks very much for the detailed answer.

One of the things I was trying to do was figure out if it perhaps it was worth it to either hit (for example) undead first with one of those and then do disruption, or perhaps have cursespewing in one hand and disruption on the other, or is it better to just have disruption on each hand for more chances at it.

Regarding the fortitude save, that's constitution right? Isn't weakening a strength damager (I do always get weakening and wounding mixed up though).

If constitution damage is so favorable to go for (it seems it's useful for most situations?), what are the situations where strength damage would be better?

Thanks!

Yagi
02-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Cursespewing and disruption work great together in my experience, (On characters set up to take advantage of twf anyways. I suppose results may vary greatly) In fact cursespewing seems to work great in conjunction with quite a few weapon effects in my experience.

Xyfiel
02-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Cursespewing and disruption work great together in my experience, (On characters set up to take advantage of twf anyways. I suppose results may vary greatly) In fact cursespewing seems to work great in conjunction with quite a few weapon effects in my experience.

Thats a myth, do the math. It is better to use 2 disruptors.
If they would fail against the curse, they would have failed against the disruption.

PopeJual
02-07-2010, 08:31 PM
If they would fail against the curse, they would have failed against the disruption.

But in a party, a single Cursespewer is very nice - much like a single Paralyzer.

If no one in the party is using Paralyzing weapons, I bust out my Paralyzer. If a couple other people are using Paralyzers, I bust out my Holy Sword for more raw damage.

Yagi
02-08-2010, 03:09 AM

I forgot to say improved, but its fairly self-evident anyways.