PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Heart for One Time Favor Reward

Ron
02-05-2010, 04:10 PM
Okay, many people seem to be "concerned" about the cost associated with the hearts for LR and GR.

An idea was proposed that seems to be acceptable to some of us that were "discussing" the issue ( :) ), but I'd like to see if there is more input to be had about the idea. Perhaps this would be a thought we could propose to Turbine for their consideration after any needed tweaking.

Anyway, the idea is this:

As a one time favor reward (and the proposed number was 2,000 favor), give the character a token, which is bound to the character. This token can be turned in for the heart of their choice (Lesser or Greater, +0, +1, or +3), which is also BtC (I think they already are).

This reward would be retroactive for any character with 2,000+ favor.

The upsides to this is:
1) there would be a way to earn a free respec in-game (which there is currently not, other than to grind for TP).
2) It helps out the long-term players that have lots of characters that need some tweaking due to changes to the game over time by Turbine, bringing those characters back to life from the shelf.
3) It would still allow for hearts to be sold in the store either for players that don't want to wait until they hit the 2,000 mark, or for players that have already used their free heart and need a second or third respec, which brings in more cash for Turbine.
4) It's not SO easy to get that it would promote frivolous reincarnating, which I think is something Turbine is trying to avoid.

The downside to it is it would cut into the money that Turbine is making on this game due to sales of hearts (and like it or not, this game needs an income to survive, without a revenue, this game gets shut down faster than you can say AC2 :) ). Of course, we, as players, have no way of knowing how much revenue is needed and how much of that revenue is coming from the sale of hearts, and how much this idea would cut into those monies. That's something only Turbine knows, so they may nix this idea on that basis no matter what we agree (or disagree) on.

Anyway, I thought this would be an idea to discuss. I hope it can stay civil. I know this is a topic that has already raised a lot of hackles. But if we keep it reasonable (with an eye on the idea that there has to be an upside to Turbine as well), maybe it's something they might consider.

Memnir
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
/signed

maddmatt70
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
I like the idea of tying this to favor. It has been a long time since there was a meaningful favor award. I did read that the devs were working on the favor system so perhaps this a good time for such a proposal as this.

Jarlaxis
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM
/signed

Romak
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
A very balanced and fair solution.

/signed.

moops
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I like the idea, but feel that maybe 2000 favor is too low, even my non favor alts have over 2000 favor which would be 6 free lesser hearts for me--maybe raise it to 2500 or-- maybe limit it to Two per account per server. I think that Turbine should be able to make some money. . .

Sir_Chonas
02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
This should be the 2500 (or i guess 2750 or 3000) favor reward. Because at that point the character is most likely level 20 and has done 3/4ths of the games content on elite.

Cylinwolf
02-05-2010, 04:33 PM
This should be the 2500 (or i guess 2750 or 3000) favor reward. Because at that point the character is most likely level 20 and has done 3/4ths of the games content on elite.

Here in-lies the problem with making it a favor reward.

Making it ~2000 is too easy; anyone can get that without much work, so then it simply becomes equal to the free portable hole you're going to get on every character for Argonessan favor.

Making it ~3000 (just as an example) is too much. This requires extensive play in level 20 elite content, which means that the character does not need the heart because they can already work their way through elite content and on top of that there's nothing left for them.

There's not a good balanced spot in favor where gimped, retired level 10-16 characters (who would benefit the most from a L/G reincarnation, as they get to rebuild and become useful again without abandoning all the raid gear and memorabilia they've acquired over the years) can obtain one without also opening it up to "just everyone."

Ron
02-05-2010, 05:25 PM
There's not a good balanced spot in favor where gimped, retired level 10-16 characters (who would benefit the most from a L/G reincarnation, as they get to rebuild and become useful again without abandoning all the raid gear and memorabilia they've acquired over the years) can obtain one without also opening it up to "just everyone."

Good point. Unfortunately, what is "easy" favor and what isn't is pretty subjective. To me, 2,000 is still pretty high (after four years of playing, I have exactly one character (both current and historical) that is anywhere near that level. But of course, I have terminal alt-itis, so my experience is probably not typical).

I don't think it ought to be too high a level, because as you say, if it's too high, then it does the gimped characters no good, they either can't reach it or they don't need to reach it.

Too low, and reincarnates become trivial, which is what Turbine is trying to avoid.

I don't know what a good number is. For some 2,000 is nothing, while for others, 2,000 is a pretty hefty challenge (especially if you are running with what you consider a gimped character). Of course, no matter what number we use, those statements will be true. All we can really do is pick a number that we think is reasonable, and hope it works for the majority of the players (of course, Turbine will probably tweak it anyway, heh).

Either that, or trash the whole system and think of something else we could suggest.

Karranor
02-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Very nice idea! Please add this, that would be great!

/looks at account full of a 4 year old characters that couldn't change with the game

Samadhi
02-05-2010, 07:45 PM
This is a perfect solution IMO.

bobbryan2
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM
2000 favor is a little low, but it's a very good idea.

Maxwell1380
02-05-2010, 07:48 PM
/signed! Excellent idea!

rezo
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM
/NEVER!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: Tubrine needs the income for all the players. LOL :D :D :D :eek: :eek:

BlackSteel
02-05-2010, 08:25 PM
3000 seems fair

Rabbi_Hordo
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
/Signed

BlargneyTheSecond
02-05-2010, 08:53 PM
The downside to it is it would cut into the money that Turbine is making on this game due to sales of hearts.
Actually, depending on the amount of favor you need for the reward it would increase the money Turbine makes because you have to buy modules to get favor.

/signed.
-blarg

jasonchrist
02-05-2010, 11:09 PM
Being able to reincarnate for free would be an excellent favor reward; I hope this is looked into, as I have some 'retired' characters that this would bring new life to.

It would undoubtedly have to be a very high reward number; 2,000 - 3,000 favor. People would still buy hearts to reincarnate, as this amount of favor is not easily obtained, time-wise.

MrCow
02-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Alternatively, you could shove the favor requirement into the 400 coin lord favor that we currently haven't gotten anything for.

Shassa
02-05-2010, 11:17 PM
Alternatively, you could shove the favor requirement into the 400 coin lord favor that we currently haven't gotten anything for.

Ooh, I like this!

TechNoFear
02-05-2010, 11:46 PM
/signed

Natashaelle
02-06-2010, 02:01 AM
I suggested exactly the same thing on Lammania forums, except that I proposed being able to choose a True HoW as well, and suggested 3.000 favour.

I would suggest your choice of any BTA Lesser Heart +3, BTA Greater Heart +0, BTC Greater Heart +3, BTC True Heart

The very high favour amount required is enough of a limitation, that there would be no need to limit numbers obtained per account -- buying at shop would still remain as a revenue-producing easy button.

redoubt
02-06-2010, 02:15 AM
Great idea. 2000 to 2500 sounds about right.

Through in TR heart as well.

BDS
02-06-2010, 02:29 AM
Yep I agree with the numbers 2250-2350 would be a nice range if you can rewards at 50 rather than 100's. Personally I would rather see a TR heart given for getting something like 3000 favor or doing all quests in the game on elite, if someone takes the time to beat every quest in the game on elite there should be some type of reward. I like the OP idea as well though, I'd certainly like to respec my first char a bit, altho I probably will end up just TR so I can go WF.

/signed

Extispex
02-06-2010, 06:04 AM
Making it ~3000 (just as an example) is too much. This requires extensive play in level 20 elite content, which means that the character does not need the heart because they can already work their way through elite content and on top of that there's nothing left for them.

I have to disagree with this. I think it should be at least 3000 favour. If 3000 is too much for someone, there's always the store.
My main character is a 28 point character, and I'm close to max favour on him, but I'd still like to do a greater reincarnation, or possibly a true reincarnation or two.

wolvric
02-06-2010, 06:14 AM
3000 favor? what would be the point? if you already beat everything on elite why would you need to LR/GR anyway? the people that have that kind of favor dont need them for broken classes, they want them for min/max,thats not the point to TR/GR imo.

Celfious
02-06-2010, 06:15 AM
I understand helping f2p and that there is some high opinion around DDO that anything instore should be aquireable by gameplay but there needs to be a line considering turbine points come free to begin with.

I dont propose some devine solution or something but maybe reducing turbine point cost is more reasonable with or without making it available by gameplay means.

I'm not signing or particularly against this idea here but I am saynig the turbine point cost is high whether or not the hearts can be aquired in game or not.

Ron
02-06-2010, 09:21 AM
3000 favor? what would be the point? if you already beat everything on elite why would you need to LR/GR anyway? the people that have that kind of favor dont need them for broken classes, they want them for min/max,thats not the point to TR/GR imo.

I agree. I think setting it up so high that you need to beat everything on elite defeats the purpose. Characters that have beaten everything on elite don't NEED to respec, heh. The idea is to keep it low enough so that it's accessable to a gimped character that needs a respec, while not setting it so low that everyone and their second cousin will get them without even thinking about it.

IOW, It should be work to get to, but not impossible.

dopey69
02-06-2010, 09:28 AM
/signed .....since 1he 1750 pluss 2 tome thing is **** now , as pluss 2's are everywhere

Uska
02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
agreed but I would set the target number a little lower maybe 1200 or 1500 or maybe that number for lesser and the 2000 for greater.

Dozen_Black_Roses
02-06-2010, 10:19 AM
/signed

I would have it at 1500 for lesser and 2500 for greater

Nahual
02-06-2010, 10:37 AM
/signed

cdemeritt
02-06-2010, 08:10 PM
/signed.... don't care at what favor level, just for favor

jasonchrist
02-07-2010, 01:59 AM

I think that this sounds too easy, but you make a good point.

bobbryan2
02-07-2010, 02:09 AM
Well, if I did it... I would make the choice a little harder.

400 favor - Drow and choice of +1 tome

1750 - 32 pts and choice of +2 tome

2500 - Favored soul and choice of +3 tome or heart of your choice.

Gorstag
02-07-2010, 10:19 AM
/signed

Sir_Chonas
02-08-2010, 09:40 AM

Some people enjoy playing the game through . . .Therefore are reincarnating because they have all the endgame raid gear and just want to go through the game again. Not all people reincarnate to fix build problems. Some people just think its fun.

BurningDownTheHouse
02-08-2010, 09:45 AM

Or the 250 Twelve favor.
Honorary member of the twelve my @$$!!!!!!!

Ron
02-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Okay, well thanks guys. It seems like we're all pretty much agreed on the concept, if not the exact number value. I don't really know how to bring this suggestion to the attention of the devs, other than to hope someone sees this thread and passes it up the chain of command.

I guess I really should have put this in the Suggestions forum. Sorry 'bout that.

Aganthor
02-08-2010, 07:15 PM
/signed even though I don't have any toon anywhere near reincarnation!

Juni
02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
/not signed

Mainly because you can already "craft" the True HoW for TR, they need to add the same option for the LR/GR HoW. Add it to a crafting recipe make it have multi rare ingredants either rare collectables or even adding new items to the loot table (I personally would like them to jsut add the recipe with items already in game).

To me crafting them makes more sense, anyways they stated when they added the store that they wouldn't add stuff to the store that couldn't be got in game so they do need to come up with a way to add these in-game.

TheJusticar
02-08-2010, 07:59 PM
/firmado

Favor is directly correlated with hard-core/guilded status. For a pugger to reach 2000 fav can be chore of epic proportions -- trust me after more than 2 years, my oldest and main toon barely reached 2400 the other night. Any less than that and it cheapens it. However, anything above 2500 is completely out of the question for many people. I think anywhere between 2K and 2.5K is the sweet spot. Or, heck, make FvS a VIP/P2P class and substitute it with reincarnation hearts.

Godspeed.

bobbryan2
02-09-2010, 12:49 AM
/firmado

Favor is directly correlated with hard-core/guilded status. For a pugger to reach 2000 fav can be chore of epic proportions -- trust me after more than 2 years, my oldest and main toon barely reached 2400 the other night. Any less than that and it cheapens it. However, anything above 2500 is completely out of the question for many people. I think anywhere between 2K and 2.5K is the sweet spot. Or, heck, make FvS a VIP/P2P class and substitute it with reincarnation hearts.

Godspeed.

I might agree that favor over 3,000 is correlated with hard-core status... but any less than that is pretty easy.

I just did a leveling process with my TR favored soul, took a casual month or so to level up, and am sitting at 2700 favor.

You just have to 'try' to get favor. I tried hitting all the quests on elite as I leveled... mostly soloing, though a little pugging, and I hit 1750 by like level 15/.