PDA

View Full Version : Winterfest Not Newbie Compatable !!!

Mr.Pointy
02-05-2010, 12:06 PM
I’m sorry to rant, but I find this Winterfest to be more FRUSTRATING than EJOYABLE.

From a newbie stand point our skill sets and abilities are not up to par and as for using potions or wands like Haste and Jump. Well it only adds to the minor abilities we have and expires in 30 seconds. So by the time I miss the jump, swim to the pier, run back to the slope… its gone. Which means spending a lot of money I don’t have on crappy potions or worthless IceSkates.

Then they say… Hey go fight Fire monsters that will drop coins. Yeah cause there’s so many fire monsters on Korthos or in Water Works right ???

Can someone on the Development Team use their brains and fix this please!

vettkinn
02-05-2010, 12:08 PM

You know comrade, it's not the dev's fault if you're not good at it. In the DDO forums, devs fix you!

Josh
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
How much easier can they make the game for noobs like you? Perhaps Turbine should just mail you 1000 coins, right?

Give me a break.

clanqui
02-05-2010, 12:11 PM
You don't need any of those things (except maybe the skates) to get coins off the jump.

And quests with fire elementals and mephits aren't exactly super high level. In fact the best ones are probably level 6ish.

Dawnsfire
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I’m sorry to rant, but I find this Winterfest to be more FRUSTRATING than EJOYABLE.

From a newbie stand point our skill sets and abilities are not up to par and as for using potions or wands like Haste and Jump. Well it only adds to the minor abilities we have and expires in 30 seconds. So by the time I miss the jump, swim to the pier, run back to the slope… its gone. Which means spending a lot of money I don’t have on crappy potions or worthless IceSkates.

Then they say… Hey go fight Fire monsters that will drop coins. Yeah cause there’s so many fire monsters on Korthos or in Water Works right ???

I am harvesting ice coins just fine and I believe our join dates are the same. Hmmmm... I personally think the devs did a fantastic job on the Risia Ice Games. I guess I'll just have to stay away from that Winterfest thing, it sounds hard :rolleyes:

Stormanne
02-05-2010, 12:14 PM
So, you've been here since Unlimited went live, or shortly thereafter...and you haven't made it past WW or Korthos? That's not the devs fault. I'm an effing flowersniffer when it comes to playing and I level out of Korthos and Harbor in a day, maybe two if I'm not even paying attention to the game...

Hokiewa
02-05-2010, 12:33 PM

So far beyond absurd. Put the tinyiest amount of effort into the game.

Seriously..........

Mr.Pointy
02-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Look I'm not complaining about the game or levels, xp, or asking for free money. I love DDO, I got talked into joing back in September because I'm an Old School player from back in 81’. So I wasn’t sure if I’d like a Online version. but we get together on Monday nights for 2 hours a week and its fun.

Anyways… a festival is “fun for all”, not for high level super characters.

A 3rd level Wizard who has 19 INT and 8 for STR and DEX is not going to make it from the 1st ramp to the 2nd. Hell I'm not even that interested in the coins, I'm just trying to make it to the next jump but my character sucks @ it.

Mentor61
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

I hear you but have to disagree unfortunately.Go to house K and search for the scorched caverns.Fire elementals in there drop coins 50% of the time.Just doing it for fun last night i got 51 ice coins in 2 runs.5 pairs of skates in about 45 mins.If you are lower than level 6 then , yes it can be a problem but then,you have a 20% xp bonus with which you can get to level 6 in about 2-3 hours.

Missing_Minds
02-05-2010, 12:49 PM
we get together on Monday nights for 2 hours a week and its fun.

Stay where it is fun then?

Jay203
02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
, I'm just trying to make it to the next jump but my character sucks @ it.

are you sure it's the character? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

but on a serious note, no buffs are needed for the harbor ramp, all you need is the ice skates and you'll be fine
if you want some easy coins, just jump right off the ramp and there's a couple white coins right below that's easily accessible if you have featherfall

now if you're telling me you don't even have featherfalling item clickie.... SIGH~

PS: if putting even slightest of effort makes the game not fun to you, perhaps you should seek out other styles of game instead?

Impaqt
02-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Look I'm not complaining about the game or levels, xp, or asking for free money. I love DDO, I got talked into joing back in September because I'm an Old School player from back in 81’. So I wasn’t sure if I’d like a Online version. but we get together on Monday nights for 2 hours a week and its fun.

A 3rd level Wizard who has 19 INT and 8 for STR and DEX is not going to make it from the 1st ramp to the 2nd. Hell I'm not even that interested in the coins, I'm just trying to make it to the next jump but my character sucks @ it.

GImme a break. a L3 Wizard can cast Jump on himself. thats ALL you need.

Run out to Tangleroot and go up the Right side to the hellhound den. about 10 Hellhounds that can be wiped out solo in about 30 seconds with chill touch and Niacs.

Impaqt
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM
are you sure it's the character? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

but on a serious note, no buffs are needed for the harbor ramp, all you need is the ice skates and you'll be fine
if you want some easy coins, just jump right off the ramp and there's a couple white coins right below that's easily accessible if you have featherfall

now if you're telling me you don't even have featherfalling item clickie.... SIGH~

PS: if putting even slightest of effort makes the game not fun to you, perhaps you should seek out other styles of game instead?

isnt Featherfall a L1 Wizard spell as well?

Mr.Pointy
02-05-2010, 12:59 PM
are you sure it's the character?

Hahaha, you're probably right. I hate jumping, which is why I was always a Zelda fan and not a Super Mario.

MrkGrismer
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM
There are also plenty of fire critters in Searing Heights (which, unlike Tangleroot, is F2P).

Hendrik
02-05-2010, 01:05 PM

If you suck at it and your not interested in the Coins, umm, don't do it?

Otherwise, mem Jump and get 10 coins for skates. Now you are on even footing with everyone else, now just practice.

Arlith
02-05-2010, 01:06 PM
How much easier can they make the game for noobs like you? Perhaps Turbine should just mail you 1000 coins, right?

Give me a break.

Mail them to Arnn... 500 blue and 500 purple should do it.

KKTHXBAI!

RobertVesco
02-05-2010, 09:42 PM
GImme a break. a L3 Wizard can cast Jump on himself. thats ALL you need.

Run out to Tangleroot and go up the Right side to the hellhound den.

You mean Sorrowdusk. (I corrected Impaqt. Now his power is mine. :D )

Jay203
02-05-2010, 11:30 PM
You mean Sorrowdusk. (I corrected Impaqt. Now his power is mine. :D )

lol, i was going to correct him, but i guess you got it :D:D:D:D:D

Jasimine
02-06-2010, 02:27 AM
I can understand the OP's frustration. I don't have much in the way of twitch skills on a keyboard (give me a controller and I'd be fine but I broke mine :-(. ) and the jumping stuff can be a royal pain. Particularly since they don't have any in game NPC to kinda teach you exactly what the heck your supposed to be doing.

However, thats the nature of the game. Don't get all mean and nasty here about it. Go, practice, try your best. And if your level 3 now, well get in some groups and quest like mad. Heck with the 20% xp boost you should hit level 6 or 7 in no time and then you can go out and solo some fire ele's some were or gods knows what as there are plenty in the level 6 range if you just go looking around.

Don't blame the developers when you have the power to take matters into your own hands. Go forth, learn, strive, conquor. And in the end, blame the smurfs.

EDIT: One thing I would like to point out. Everyone keeps saying for him to cast jump on himself which will give him a +10 to jump. However anyone I have asked in game, and all the posts on the forums showing completion of the ice jump, are using the Pendent of Time from House P for perma haste and are sitting at a 40+ jump from spells. So how exactly is he on the same footing as everyone else with only a +10 to jump buff? If someone HAS completed with a jump of only 10 I'd love to see the vid of it so I can learn to do it as well on my pally. I'm completely lost myself. I keep trying but so far just end up cursing and then going and killing more ele's to vent and get coins to try again and again and again. It's a painful cycle. I blame the smurfs.

denna1
02-06-2010, 04:01 AM
Don't get me wrong, the winter festival thing is a good idea, but it would have been a great idea if they could have made it so that all people who play the game can enjoy it fully.
I mean the reality is that a large percentage of the people who play this game have lag issues (we can't all have the best computer equipment), so the little narrow ramps are almost impossible to hit.
Lag issues aside, a lot of people simply don't have characters with enormous jump skills.
And then there are people like me, the coordination challenged. Most of us are older and weren't born with a game controller at the other end of our umbilicle cord.
So what can they do next time they have a good idea and want to make it a great idea. Well first they should get an old guy with a mid-level cleric who plays on a lap-top to test it and see if he can navigate the mess they created. If he can get it at least once in every twenty tries then it's a go.
Or... they can make a short bus version for the rest of us. In the case of the current promotion, there should be a ski slope or a large skate track.
Or... wait, why not make it so the coins (white, blue, & purple) are random chest drops. Remember the festivault coins? Everyone had a chance to get gold ones. Or stick with the fire monsters dropping them but give a small chance for purple and blue to drop as well, not just white. I don't want to have to kill a named or end boss just to get a better coin.
Another great idea would have been to simply have a small no xp/np favor quest instance with an ice ring or dungeon. That way it would be a private instance for up to six people (reduced lag). You could fight things as you skate to earn coins. (not just white ones either)
So once again DDO has done something with obvious good intentions that only a handful of their customers can truly enjoy, all while creating a situation where-by that small handful can get extremely rich selling what only they can reach to those of us stupid enough to pay their ridiculous auction house price, for the stuff we will never see otherwise.
So for me, yeah, the winter festival makes everything so pretty. But I am tired of having my blood pressure raise as I get more and more frustrated trying to get that elusive purple coin. And with a jump skill in the 70's I really shouldn't be having a problem.

MsEricka
02-06-2010, 04:35 AM
ok here's how it works.

If you want awesome loot you either have to
a) work for it
b) buy it

If you want coins you either have to
a) work for it
b) buy them

So take your pick. It took me 4 hours to perfect the process of getting the coins, and now I can farm purple coins all day (and night) long. So far I'm keeping them for myself but I'll eventually put some on the auction house. Feel free to buy them if you don't want to do the work.

Delt
02-06-2010, 05:23 AM
Weirdest thing...I coulda sworn the icy pot rewards included....by some coincidence...haste, jump, featherfall, etc...caster level 10.

Wacky, wacky stuff....it's almost like the devs added these items, sorta on purpose, so noobs could farm white coins first, turn em in, then achieve the ski jumps easier. But nah, I'm just being silly.

epochofcrepuscule
02-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Weirdest thing...I coulda sworn the icy pot rewards included....by some coincidence...haste, jump, featherfall, etc...caster level 10.

Wacky, wacky stuff....it's almost like the devs added these items, sorta on purpose, so noobs could farm white coins first, turn em in, then achieve the ski jumps easier. But nah, I'm just being silly.

You are being silly. That requires an effort on the noobs part. Noobs dont like effort, look at WoW.

Corebreach
02-06-2010, 05:33 AM
Really? That contradicts my personal experience and runs against the opinion of nearly every other poster on this topic.

DevourerOfPancakes
02-06-2010, 05:34 AM
While I don't find the Risia ice games frustrating, I do have to agree with the OP that they're not very accessible for new players. I've only recently started a cleric alt on a new server, and notice I simply have to levelup to even participate in the games. Fire-based creatures are well over my head just yet, and without the first few coins to rent skates, there's just no way to participate.

Of course, it's possible to buy ice skates from the DDO store. This I found out by coincidence as I was browsing the shop - it would help if the ice skate rental NPC would mention the skates were available in the store. Also, the store doesn't state whether the skates are permanent, or expire after a while like the rental skates.

I could of course just log onto my wizard whom I've currently put in the fridge (get it, in the fridge?... har har har!), cast a single Cone of Cold and loot a bazillion tokens, then use her sky-high jump skill (sky high... jump skill... har har har!). But that's not a luxury a new player has (nor does it help me join in the skating fun on my newbie cleric, as she's on a different server).

Now, with the +20% bonus XP it shouldn't take too long to hit the proper level to slay a bunch of fire critters and that's exactly what I'm doing. An expeditious retreat clickie and some jump pots should go a long way once I've farmed 10 tokens for rental skates. But it's hardly the same as heading over to the games on a character fresh out of Korthos and having fun in a seasonal event.

What I'd suggest to improve this, is better documentation. Give the ice skate rental NPC a share in Turbine, so he doesn't feel like he has to keep his mouth shut or lose customers. Let him tell players that ice skates are also available in the DDO store.

Beyond that, I personally think it'd be good to give characters a one-time free rental ice skates. Perhaps as a reward for a short non-combat ice related quest any character can complete (without having to do regular quests to hit the right level to fight fire critters... perhaps a snowball fight type quest?). Just so any player can jump in and give the skating a try.

On a side note, I really love the icy scenery. The harbor looks fantastic :)

Well, back to leveling. I'll have to kill some fire elementals in cold blood. Knock 'em out cold. Let them taste the icy chill of death. Put them on ice. Sure, it'll take a few more hours to become powerful enough to beat them. But that's a cold comfort - I'll be a seasoned veteran in no-time. Bet they'll get cold feet soon as they see me coming for 'em. And whatever other horrible puns you can make here.

Sweetsoul86
02-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I find it kind of interesting that people are complaining that it's not accessible to new players....who said it was easy for older players? I have capped toons that I've tried it on and I still suck, it's gonna take time and practice that I don't really feel like putting in when I could be taking advantage of the 20%xp boost so I'll just enjoy whatever I get out of fire creatures.

The one thing I'm not a big fan of is that you have to get the killing shot to get them out of creatures, and considering I play a healer almost exclusively it's pretty much never gonna happen so I've pretty much written off this challenge.

What I'm saying is, don't make it sound like they made it so only new players are having trouble, it's clearly just a challenge that some of us are not up to or that some of us have to work harder on. Heck the only reason I've gotten almost any white coins is because my boyfriend shared what he got when we were farming quests with fire creatures because I was his healer/buffer. Plus I did the whole slowly falling off the jump and getting the coins there lol.

On top of that you have to consider that this is a new challenge, it hasn't happened before in the time I've been playing so ya it's gonna take time for them to perfect it and decide how they want it to work because I know festivault has changed over the years. Give them a break, don't complain but instead give them constructive criticisms to work with to make it better in the future.

Rawel_San
02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Unfortunately I can't log in to check at the moment but is there something preventing a different player from buffing
whoever will be doing the jumping/skating thingie?

Yagi
02-06-2010, 06:46 PM
You are being silly. That requires an effort on the noobs part. Noobs dont like effort, look at WoW.

I agree, Circle Jerks are more then just an awesome band.

DevourerOfPancakes
02-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately I can't log in to check at the moment but is there something preventing a different player from buffing
whoever will be doing the jumping/skating thingie?

Beyond wizards'/sorcerers' willingness to hit a jump, feather fall and/or haste buff on folks standing near the ice skate ramps, nothing. Well, possibly spell selection (but most will at least have haste and jump). I'm sure most arcanes won't mind tossing them if you ask nicely.

clanqui
02-07-2010, 12:32 PM
I don't think most toons can do it unbuffed, but besides the jump potions and friendly casters, any toon with 75 house P favor can get a dirt cheap 30 minute buff that will get the job done.

Rumbaar
02-07-2010, 04:32 PM
I'm a L15 Monk with Abundant Step and Jump buffs, and I'm still yet to make it to the second jump point. Lag and twitch mechanics in a MMO has always been the bane for me in this game.

Rawel_San
02-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Beyond wizards'/sorcerers' willingness to hit a jump, feather fall and/or haste buff on folks standing near the ice skate ramps, nothing. Well, possibly spell selection (but most will at least have haste and jump). I'm sure most arcanes won't mind tossing them if you ask nicely.

Thanks for answer actually logged on today and went to look at jump on thelanis and all the people there were
running the jump so fast I couldn't buff them. Even ones standing when I hit the first buffs would be off before
I could cast second. Sort of a shame really. Obviously I won't stand there buffing forever but I will be happy to toss
a few buffs out if someone needs them, and I'm sure many other wizzies/sorc's will be too if you ask, as
DevourerofPancakes says, nicely.
Rawel

phalaeo
02-07-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm just......wow.

Really, OP?

Orry
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM
While I don't find the Risia ice games frustrating, I do have to agree with the OP that they're not very accessible for new players. I've only recently started a cleric alt on a new server, and notice I simply have to levelup to even participate in the games. Fire-based creatures are well over my head just yet, and without the first few coins to rent skates, there's just no way to participate.

Of course, it's possible to buy ice skates from the DDO store. This I found out by coincidence as I was browsing the shop - it would help if the ice skate rental NPC would mention the skates were available in the store. Also, the store doesn't state whether the skates are permanent, or expire after a while like the rental skates.

I could of course just log onto my wizard whom I've currently put in the fridge (get it, in the fridge?... har har har!), cast a single Cone of Cold and loot a bazillion tokens, then use her sky-high jump skill (sky high... jump skill... har har har!). But that's not a luxury a new player has (nor does it help me join in the skating fun on my newbie cleric, as she's on a different server).

Now, with the +20% bonus XP it shouldn't take too long to hit the proper level to slay a bunch of fire critters and that's exactly what I'm doing. An expeditious retreat clickie and some jump pots should go a long way once I've farmed 10 tokens for rental skates. But it's hardly the same as heading over to the games on a character fresh out of Korthos and having fun in a seasonal event.

What I'd suggest to improve this, is better documentation. Give the ice skate rental NPC a share in Turbine, so he doesn't feel like he has to keep his mouth shut or lose customers. Let him tell players that ice skates are also available in the DDO store.

Beyond that, I personally think it'd be good to give characters a one-time free rental ice skates. Perhaps as a reward for a short non-combat ice related quest any character can complete (without having to do regular quests to hit the right level to fight fire critters... perhaps a snowball fight type quest?). Just so any player can jump in and give the skating a try.

On a side note, I really love the icy scenery. The harbor looks fantastic :)

Well, back to leveling. I'll have to kill some fire elementals in cold blood. Knock 'em out cold. Let them taste the icy chill of death. Put them on ice. Sure, it'll take a few more hours to become powerful enough to beat them. But that's a cold comfort - I'll be a seasoned veteran in no-time. Bet they'll get cold feet soon as they see me coming for 'em. And whatever other horrible puns you can make here.

There is a level 2 quest with 2 fire mehpets in it, sure they take a while to get to, but it is a level 2 quest and it just happens to be right next to the rink in the harbour, perfect for low level characters.

Draccus
02-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Call me crazy, but maybe new players with a level 6 character aren't supposed to be able to add Frost Burst to any weapon they want.

Inspire
02-07-2010, 07:05 PM
Call me crazy,

You're crazy.