PDA

View Full Version : Sight Range?

Sir_Chonas
02-05-2010, 11:27 AM
I've noticed that other players see further (I usually notice on rangers because they're ranging things I can't see).

Is there a way for me to increase my sight range using visual/gameplay options, or is it class specific?

Superspeed_Hi5
02-05-2010, 11:28 AM
I've noticed that other players see further (I usually notice on rangers because they're ranging things I can't see).

Is there a way for me to increase my sight range using visual/gameplay options, or is it class specific?

Use the highest graphic setting and set your draw line back.

Sir_Chonas
02-05-2010, 11:30 AM
How does one "set a drawline?"

drac317
02-05-2010, 11:31 AM
dont need highest graphic setting ,just increase draw distance

drac317
02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
medium or high if u need that much

Superspeed_Hi5
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
How does one "set a drawline?"

look in the game options. Its in their somewhere. I am at work and cant check right now.

Anarkius
02-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I think it really depends on the graphics capability of the system you are playing on. For instance before adding in my Geforce 9800 GTX+ I couldn't see squat until it was within a close range. but now I'm picking off targets that others are asking 'what are you firing at?' which I reply "that mob on the hill over by such and such" when I usually get a 'you can see that from here?'

A more exact reference...In the Korthos Island Wilderness If I stand on the platform (or platue) above the large open stone area (near the shrine just past Gunnar). I can pick off the Sahuagin, the Devourer Minions, and the Devourer Acolyte that are down below. To further clarify I am speaking of the two Devourer Minions and Acolyte that are waiting in ambush if you take the main path into the wilderness, the two Devourer Minions that are patrolling the hill near the shrine and the Sahuagin and his flunkies that are in the large stone area.

Where as before, I couldn't even see such adversaries until I was right on top of them.

I am sure that adjusting your distance draw settings help too though.

Zenako
02-05-2010, 12:41 PM
Another simple example is around PotP. Get up on the walkaround grating. With higher graphics settings you can see various Duergar and Drow running around the valleys below you and wrack up some slayers while killing time for everyone to get there.

drac317
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
look in the game options. Its in their somewhere. I am at work and cant check right now.
options-advanced graphics-draw distance

Emili
02-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Is more then just graphic settings... it is the spot skill also.

I once knew a 4th level dwarf way back when - we were in stormcleave - and he asked me how I saw the worgs before they attacked - he only saw things after they hit him... his spot skill was zero... even though he played on highest draw distance (like mine) he still had troubles seeing things I could.

A spot of 20+ you can see mob sillouette way off in the distance and even non-agro'd hiding mob, come 25+ you can see hiding mob this goes out even further.

Sir_Chonas
02-05-2010, 01:01 PM

I once knew a 4th level dwarf way back when - we were in stormcleave - and he asked me how I saw the worgs before they attacked - he only saw things after they hit him... his spot skill was zero.

A spot of 20+ you can see mob sillouette way off in the distance andeven non-agro'd hiding mob relatively close, come 25+ you can see hiding mob this goes out even further.

Yeah my spot's fine except for endgame, just fog of war clouds about 100 ft off. I can't see any of the coins from the top of the ski jump.

Mockduck
02-05-2010, 01:33 PM

I once knew a 4th level dwarf way back when - we were in stormcleave - and he asked me how I saw the worgs before they attacked - he only saw things after they hit him... his spot skill was zero... even though he played on highest draw distance (like mine) he still had troubles seeing things I could.

A spot of 20+ you can see mob sillouette way off in the distance and even non-agro'd hiding mob, come 25+ you can see hiding mob this goes out even further.

Yes, this is what I was going to suggest, boost that spot skill. You can make out mobs farther away in addition to ones that are "hiding".

tihocan
02-05-2010, 01:39 PM
Some people also shoot at monsters they can't see themselves ;)

Cyr
02-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Some people also shoot at monsters they can't see themselves ;)

yup, tab targeting ftw. The real trick is to increase your draw distance any non stealth mobs you should be able to see at about the same distance as anyone else then. Overall graphics settings matter not at all as far as I can determine.

Zenako
02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Best combo is high graphics settings, long draw distance, and having a high SPot skill on the character.

The fact that spot matters is easy to see when you play various characters on the same computer setup. MY fairly low SPot characters miss seeing a lot of thing, while my pushing 50+ spot Ranger sees almost everything. The difference is that many mobs are "hiding" until you get close, and then you also need to overcome their hiding skill with an opposed spot roll. Even True Sight does not penetrate Hiding.

With decent computer settings, and excellent spot skill you can often see and spot and target mobs so far away that even when they start running at you, they are dead long before they can reach you. (If you are a decent archer at least.)

Sir_Chonas
02-05-2010, 02:14 PM
My question arises because the guy who posted the "purple coin" video could see every coin in the harbor. I can't see any. So I figured I'd ask.

tihocan
02-05-2010, 08:57 PM
yup, tab targeting ftw
I was thinking more about *knowing* where a mob is (for static ones, like some perched archers/casters), or targetting something you see then running back while keeping it in focus orb, which allows you to keep shooting even when it's not on your screen anymore (as long as it stays in focus orb).

calvinklien
02-05-2010, 11:58 PM
yup, tab targeting ftw.

yup, but even when nothing 'tabs' into target you can still fire where you 'know' they are and your dice will start rolling. ofcourse, this is unnecessary, just sayin', i've killed things i could neither see nor target.