PDA

View Full Version : Lamannia Perks

Karranor
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
It has become apparent that there are simply not enough people playing, testing and REPORTING issues with Lammania.

I would suggest offering some kind of perk to spending time on Lamannia and TESTING/REPORTING things.

I am not exactly sure what the best route may be, but more motivation to have more testers would be great.

I saw no more than 10 people in the Who List at any time on Lamannia. Usually there were 3-4 people. Not a good pool to try things out. Even if we wanted to get a group to run epic, try a raid or whatever there are simply not enough people.

I would do something like this.

For each hour you spent on Lamannia you get 1 point. This will work sort of like raid points.
If you can, turn on the auto logout you after 5 mins deal.
Then slap a tag on your bug reports so they can be flagged as;
1.) Erroneous spam = -20 Points
2.) Instance of known issue = +1 Point
3.) New Verifiable, Reproducible Bug = +10 Points

Can't earn points for repeating entering an already classified bug.

Then cut off earning points a week before release. Giving you time to fix what is there. You don’t even have to tell us this part. Keep us working! hehe

Then Tally points, do a random number (Highest tally+ a little) + points and the top three get 500 Turbine Points when the Update is released.

The roll method allows EVERYONE a chance to win the Turbine Points but gives those that CONTRIBUTE a much better chance at winning the points.

Last step is a big fat announcement "These three lucky testers Won 500 Turbine Points! Didn't win? Help us on Lamannia for the next update to be entered to win!"

I think this would really help get more people in and testing so that you can release a better product.

It is just terrible to release a new Update only to have characters break, quests close, loot disappear and newly introduced systems not function. With more testing and exposure these things might be caught and solved before it is released.

I know this system is detailed, but I think it would work pretty good. Nothing is perfect however. I also think that the minor effort needed to implement this would very beneficial. These are all simple database and reporting features. I just don't know if you can track login time easily, may just have to go with ticket points.

Anyway, thanks for reading. Even if this is scoffed at, we still need SOMETHING to get this game tested and ready for releases.

Cedwin
02-05-2010, 10:46 AM
Lamannia isn't a test server, it's a preview server.

Just like mournlands isn't a test server, it's a "see how fun this stuff is" server.

Anyways, the bugs that made it to live were reported countless times on Lamannia, and multiple posts were made about them on the Lamannia forums.

It's not that they aren't being reported, it's that they aren't being fixed before they make it to live.

stainer
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
I could be wrong but I believe a lot of the issues we are seeing were reported during testing. Maybe we could develop a point system that give Devs store points if they fix a an issue before launch. <--that was sarcasm

Strakeln
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
It has become apparent that there are simply not enough people playing, testing and REPORTING issues with Lammania.
I disagree, player testing and reporting is not the problem.

If you want to see the real problem, do some forum searches for the summer/fall timeframe concerning Supreme Cleave. When it first came out, it was broken... all that it did was take away 10HP and do a normal swing. This was reported on Lammania 2.5 months before DDO:EU was released. It was re-reported with each new build that they loaded onto the machine. Multiple people were doing this.

Then it went live. Multiple people, myself included, reported it.

About a month after DDO:EU, someone - MadFloyd or 404 - noticed my post on the forums complaining about Supreme Cleave being broken. He asked what that was all about.

You can report all you want, but until they read the reports, adding more won't help.

Karranor
02-05-2010, 11:07 AM
You can report all you want, but until they read the reports, adding more won't help.

Uhg, that is a good point.

I'm just trying to help make things better is all. I love this game, but things like this is what drives all these new players right back to whatever game there were playing.

Zenako
02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
The behind the scenes logistics with bug reports seems to be poorly working based on some inferences from the developers who posted in some threads.

IT seems the bug report reading people, who probably have to go and try to verify/repeat those bugs, are not the same people who would actually fix them, or the people who wrote the code to start with.

Lots of opportunity for someone to not really understand the nature of the bug being reported it appears.

OP, as you may know Almost ALL of the bugs that went live were detected and reported on in various threads that Turbine set up specifically for us to report those things in. It was not like they had to hunt to find an offhanded reference to something not working as intended.

In some ways, the process has almost too many layers to be effiecent. Too many layers of protocol to follow, but then without those protocols, chaos might ensue.

Goldeneye
02-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Maybe if we offered the Developers free Turbine Points for each bug they fixed, the game would work as intended!