PDA

View Full Version : Popular/Common Multi-Classing Options?

spyridon
02-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I must admit that as a new player, multi-classing is a bit confusing to me....

The usual advice that is given on the forums is "don't multi-class unless you are building your character from the ground up for it" - but without the knowledge of the do's-and-dont's it's hard to come up with something without some trial and error...

So to help 'put the puzzle together' a bit, I'm wondering what are some of the most common, popular, or effective options?

I'd really appreciate it if people could list some of their favorite options for the various classes, how many levels are required in the class, and why they choose it?

From what I've gathered so far, Rogue is a popular choice, early on for either the extra stat points, UMS, and evasion (although I'm not sure when they actually get their evasion, lol). I also gather that Fighter could be useful for the extra feats, although I dont know what that would be mixed with.

Beyond that I do not really know what usefulness each class may or may not have in a multi-class build. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Visty
02-05-2010, 10:18 AM
there are alot of popular mc choices but it depends on what you wanna play

if you are unsure, ask and youll get advice

giving the whole list of good possibilitys would just not be worth the effort as there are 10 classes and 20 levels, lots of combinations

Calebro
02-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Beyond that I do not really know what usefulness each class may or may not have in a multi-class build. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

With this in mind, my advice would be:
Don't attempt a multiclass until you DO know what usefulness each class may bring.
Multiclassing is, in the most general sense, an advanced character to play. Deeper multi's and/or tri-class multi's even more so.
If you're so unfamiliar with the game's mechanics that you don't know basic class abilities, an advanced build might be too much for you to handle at this point.

Play a straight class, something simple, and learn the game a bit before trying something more complex.

This is my advice.

Dawnsfire
02-05-2010, 10:24 AM

Thanks.

My favorite resource for multiclassing info is here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=203587). It gives a good overview of what you gain/lose through different/popular combos.

Another (though dated) place is here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174906). It is an older listing of various DPS rankings but has a few build lists. DPS ranks are pobably not exactly correct anymore, but the build links might help.

I am sure some other people who know more can point you to some much better resources. Good luck and welcome aboard!

spyridon
02-05-2010, 10:39 AM
With this in mind, my advice would be:
Don't attempt a multiclass until you DO know what usefulness each class may bring.
Multiclassing is, in the most general sense, an advanced character to play. Deeper multi's and/or tri-class multi's even more so.
If you're so unfamiliar with the game's mechanics that you don't know basic class abilities, an advanced build might be too much for you to handle at this point.

Play a straight class, something simple, and learn the game a bit before trying something more complex.

This is my advice.

I'm going with a Pure class right now for my first play thru - so no worries about that.

I'm just trying to gather some information ahead of time. I like to plan ahead =)

Just trying to gather some common strategies for each class so that I could eventually build upon that and come up with some classes I would like to try in the future.

My favorite resource for multiclassing info is here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=203587). It gives a good overview of what you gain/lose through different/popular combos.

Another (though dated) place is here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=174906). It is an older listing of various DPS rankings but has a few build lists. DPS ranks are pobably not exactly correct anymore, but the build links might help.

I am sure some other people who know more can point you to some much better resources. Good luck and welcome aboard!

Thanks for the links!

Calebro
02-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm going with a Pure class right now for my first play thru - so no worries about that.

I'm just trying to gather some information ahead of time. I like to plan ahead =)

Just trying to gather some common strategies for each class so that I could eventually build upon that and come up with some classes I would like to try in the future.

Thanks for the links!

OK, great! In that case, the links that Dawns provided are an excellent place to start your research!

tihocan
02-05-2010, 11:26 AM
The key to multiclassing is understanding what you gain/lose. This requires knowing about abilities gained by the different classes at each level. The compendium and the DDO Wiki are good places to browse to get this information. Most importantly, you need to check:
- alignment compatibility
- feats/special abilities earned by each class (and possible restrictions that come with them, e.g. evasion works only with light or no armor)
- enhancements
- BAB and Saves
- Spell slots for casters

In addition, knowledge of the game helps to make choices. E.g. a splash of 3 levels of paladin used to be popular for fear immunity, but with the tier 3 prestige enhancements taken at L18 and more varied way to gain fear immunity at high level, most people will prefer to take only 2 levels now if they want to splash for the AC/saves bonus.

In any case, if you're unsure about a multiclassed build, ask on forums first. If there's something obviously wrong, someone will tell you :)