PDA

View Full Version : level 11 ranger needs help becoming an arcane archer and picking up 2 fighter or barb

saphirestreak4454
02-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Ok im a level 11 ranger and i want to become an arcane archer. my problem is that at level 6 i never got the feat mental toughness. Now i can't trade fred for mental toughness. I have all of the other prerequisites, how can i become arcane? Also i would like to take either two levels of either fighter or barbarian-barbarian for the ability to absorb damage and have higher hp and strength. Fighter for higher strength and a better ability to use armours. Which should i do?

Visty
02-04-2010, 02:09 PM
no idea why you havent been able to take MT at lvl6 as you can cast spells already
but if you dont mind the wait, just lvl to 12, there you get another feat which you can spend on MT

saphirestreak4454
02-04-2010, 03:57 PM
thnx for the help

Kralgnax
02-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Ok im a level 11 ranger and i want to become an arcane archer. my problem is that at level 6 i never got the feat mental toughness. Now i can't trade fred for mental toughness. I have all of the other prerequisites, how can i become arcane? Also i would like to take either two levels of either fighter or barbarian-barbarian for the ability to absorb damage and have higher hp and strength. Fighter for higher strength and a better ability to use armours. Which should i do?
Neither. Multiclasses if not preplanned will often break a character.

Fighter 2 - armour will mostly not help you much, as you need to be in light/no armour for evasion to work, plus one class feat
Barb 2 - well, you'll get 1/- DR, Rage and Uncanny Dodge + about 8 HP
Neither of those sounds attrictive in return for giving up the ranger capstone to me.

HBene
02-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Neither. Multiclasses if not preplanned will often break a character.

Fighter 2 - armour will mostly not help you much, as you need to be in light/no armour for evasion to work, plus one class feat
Barb 2 - well, you'll get 1/- DR, Rage and Uncanny Dodge + about 8 HP
Neither of those sounds attrictive in return for giving up the ranger capstone to me.

I agree 100% with this, the ranger capstone is really usefull for ranged combat (plus the bonus and extra feat for favored enemy) and neither multiclassing with Fighter or Barbarian brings you advantage over that.

saphirestreak4454
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
thanks for the advice i'm glad i didnt multiclass before getting advice

Aganthor
02-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Do not forget that you also need Point blank shot AND weapon focus: ranged to qualify for AA!!!

tihocan
02-05-2010, 08:37 AM
If you tell us what are your L1/3/6/9 feats we may explain why you can't trade some of them at Fred.

grodon9999
02-05-2010, 08:43 AM
If you're going to go AA go Ranger-20.