PDA

View Full Version : is this cheating buy +2 tomes (all)?

bree22
02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
I was wondering if the pure players think this is cheating if i buy the +2 tomes from DDO store to increase all my stats by 2?

I am currently level 9 ranger and was playing straight up to level 8. Meaning i wasn't buying anything from auction house or vendors. I only used items that i earned via quests and chest. I started using the AH because I getting tired of not having any good weapons and watching everyone else kicking more arse then me.

bobbryan2
02-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Do whatcha want with your cash.

spifflove
02-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Its your money. Not deleting on dying is cheating. It it feels right roll with it.

Josh
02-04-2010, 10:03 AM
+2 tomes are common enough nowadays. More importantly, who cares what others think about what you are doing? Your toon, your decision.

I have to admit I wish those universal +2 tomes dropped in chests though!

Psyker
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Some people are going to call it cheating, some people will not. Some people (Perma Death) think its cheating to use a resurrection shrine.

Decide for yourself if this is something you want to do go for it. However be very careful when spending that many points that this is the character you want to do it on. My greatest regret was buying the Huge Collectibles bag for a Bard Virtuoso at around LVL 10, only to decide a couple of levels later nah Virtuoso isn't for me. Now all those points are sitting on a toon I don't play anymore. I think 32 point build is a better buy, especially if you are playing multiple toons, but if you really like the one you have now do it!

Also if you are not VIP then buying content is a much better choice.

ArkoHighStar
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Some would say you should earn them like the rest of us had to, but really tomes give you a nice boost, but they don't all of a sudden make your character awesome.

If this is your first character and you plan to stay awhile, my advice would be to save your money and get the tomes on your second character.
The reason being is generally your first character is your learning character and you will make some mistakes, and adding tomes is expensive. That is unless you will plan on using the the respecs later instead of rolling a new character.

The one thing I can say is learn to play with what you have and longer term you will find that you learned to be a better player, and you will enjoy end game more. The come back with a second character you can twink out with loot gotten from yourfirst character etc.

ArichValtrahn
02-04-2010, 10:07 AM
How is anyone going to know if you bought a tome anyways?

Kralgnax
02-04-2010, 10:45 AM
I was wondering if the pure players think this is cheating if i buy the +2 tomes from DDO store to increase all my stats by 2?

I am currently level 9 ranger and was playing straight up to level 8. Meaning i wasn't buying anything from auction house or vendors. I only used items that i earned via quests and chest. I started using the AH because I getting tired of not having any good weapons and watching everyone else kicking more arse then me.
What's a pure player? I'm sure you can find someone who will object to just about anything.

"Live on what you can loot" is cost efficient, but ultimately impractical. The reality is that loot that will drop for you will pretty much always be significantly below your level. The flip side is that below level 8, the odds are you can't afford anything particularly good anyway ;)

theblackofnight
02-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Doing anything that isn't allowed by a real DM would be considered "twinking".

Anything that DDO allows you to do cannot really be considered "cheating".

Zenako
02-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Be aware that many players consider using anything from the store that affects active gameplay to be buying a shortcut or akin to cheat codes.

Buying hair colors or styles - no issue
Buying more character slots - no issue
Buying items you cannot get in the game - Huge bags for example, convience item and really not much of an issue

Buying 32 point builds - shortcut
Buying Spell Point Pots - shortcut
Buying XP or Loot Pots - shortcut

the there is also

Buying low level arms and armor - simply foolish

With that in mind, there is no real difference between someone who takes their first and only character and decided to twink them up with a +2 Supreme Tome and a long time player with a bank full of +2 tomes that has their level 7 character eat a full set. You end up in the same place as fas as a character is concerned. The difference being that the one Supreme tome was gained by a Credit Card and the Set of tomes was gained by playing the game for some time (while no longer rare, they still do not drop that often).

You also need to ask yourself why you are doing it? To keep up with the "jones" of the world? Buying that tome won't do it for you. There is really nothing magical about those stats, that better gameplay cannot easily overwhelm and overshadow. You cannot buy experience with the game from the store. That is why the suggestion to work this character along, use those $$ for other things actually gives you more long term bang for your buck. Now this is also from the perspective of players who have stuck with the game for years. IF you are the type of player who constantly jumps from game to game fairly often and want to maximize what you can do in the limited time you expect to stay here, that is a different thing.

PurdueDave
02-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Just be aware that +2 tomes don't make all that much difference with a few exceptions on specific builds.

Lorien_the_First_One
02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
is this cheating buy +2 tomes (all)?

Yes.

But more importantly, its a waste of your money.

Bracosius
02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Nothing you do with your character affects me, do what you wish.

If it makes your character better then we all should be for it because we all group together. And why would I not want my ally to be more powerful?

Kralgnax
02-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
is this cheating buy +2 tomes (all)?
Yes.

Lorien, Lorien, Lorien - unless the fellow's playing under some kind of 'house rules" restrictions, it is in no wise cheating

And as to it being a wate of money, why so? I can appreciate that +1 / +2 gear items from te DDO store are a waste of of money (confession: I bought +2 fullplate on my first character, so sue me), but tomes / SP potions / portable shrines not so much. Whether the value proposition is good for any given player depends a lot on the individual player's constraints of money, time, skill, and a host of other things.

Finally, wasting money is NOT more important than a question of cheating.

Spoprockel
02-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Cheating means using methods that are not intended to be used or to work that way.

If you think it's worth spending all the turbine points or even real money on tomes it's your choice.

They are a part of this game and by buying them you even support the developers.

So it's definitely not cheating.

Edit: Heh, i bought a +2 full plate on my first char too

Lorien_the_First_One
02-05-2010, 07:51 AM
Lorien, Lorien, Lorien - unless the fellow's playing under some kind of 'house rules" restrictions, it is in no wise cheating

No, I didn't really think its cheating...obviously its not since the people who make the rules say its allowed. I thought it was a silly quesiton for that reason and gave a silly answer. The second part of my answer was the real answer, its a waste of money.

And as to it being a wate of money, why so? I can appreciate that +1 / +2 gear items from te DDO store are a waste of of money (confession: I bought +2 fullplate on my first character, so sue me), but tomes / SP potions / portable shrines not so much. Whether the value proposition is good for any given player depends a lot on the individual player's constraints of money, time, skill, and a host of other things.

Finally, wasting money is NOT more important than a question of cheating.

The tomes are a waste of money because most builds don't need +2 on every stat. Eventually you will pull +1 and plus +2 tomes on your own, even some +3. +1 tomes especially can be pulled by mid level or bought by an average wealth mid level player off the AH or trade forums.

For most builds, especially for new players, they shouldn't think they need to dump such a large amount of real cash for what is in reality a small increase in their build's abilities. If they want to spend money in the DDO store, more content (if premium), XP potions, SP potions, shrines, rez potions, and even teleport rods will probably all help them out more. Even those of course are just nice to have convinience items, not required. If you really want to improve your characters the best thing to buy is 32 pt builds which will give you a few extra build points to play with that will stack with the tomes you will eventually find :)

Waste of course is in the eye of the beholder, if you are a millionare, go for it.

Oh, and on the +1 and +2 items in the store... Most of the vets begged them not to put that stuff in so that new players wouldn't spend real cash on items they will quickly find in game anyway. It was great to see they at least pulled the biggest offender, +1 weapons, out of the store this week. At least the +2 armor gives a slight survivability advantage.

rnor6084
02-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Yes.

Wrong. Again. On both counts.

I suspect anyone who calls this cheating is one of those bitter "i spent hours and hours earning my +2 tomes why should you be able to buy one" types. You can either get over it or leave. Simple.

What he chooses to do with his money is his business. The cash he drops benefits all of us.

Lorien_the_First_One
02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Wrong. Again. On both counts.

I suspect anyone who calls this cheating is one of those bitter "i spent hours and hours earning my +2 tomes why should you be able to buy one" types. You can either get over it or leave. Simple.

What he chooses to do with his money is his business. The cash he drops benefits all of us.

Read the post above yours, you may want to reconsider your opinion of me...

Kralgnax
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
Lorien, thanks for the clarification. I should have guessed it was humorous. I guess I took too many literalist pills this morning :eek:

phillymiket
02-05-2010, 08:19 AM
Lots posts these days about wasted money.
I wonder how much i spend on music and movie downloads?
How about a night out on the town?
Spending a little cash just for the fun of a new gimmick for a game you play often cant be more foolish then a $100 bar tab....or is it?

spyyder976
02-05-2010, 08:24 AM

Why would it be cheating even for pure players, when they just buy theirs off auction house anyway.

Horrorscope
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
If +2 Tomes to all stats don't make that much of a difference, what is the ballyhoo of a 28 pt build vs a 32? +2 to all is a +12 build, no?

MrkGrismer
02-05-2010, 01:36 PM
If +2 Tomes to all stats don't make that much of a difference, what is the ballyhoo of a 28 pt build vs a 32? +2 to all is a +12 build, no?

Actually it can be more, depending on what the stats are already. Since +1 to a stat costs more 'points' if is above a certain level.

But +2 to a stat only nets you a +1 bonus, so it doesn't make a HUGE difference. Always nice, yes, but not a game changer. As others have said you will probably get enough +2 tomes to put them on at least your most important stats, and eventually +3 tomes make it as if you never got the +2s.

A buddy I play with regularly got one of them thar +2 supremes and used it on his character. I can't justify the expense. We still run characters together and I haven't noticed any significant difference. He seems to get more 'bang' out of the xp potions and the treasure gems (which I also don't use). But even those don't seem to make a HUGE difference. I still pull some better things then him every now and then. Just when he has a treasure gem going he tends to get better (then average) stuff more often.

Me, on the other hand, I've used my TP for shared bank and for adventure paks, that's it. That's also my plan going forward. Maybe I might use some for an extra character slot; but I don't plan to use them for anything I can normally get 'in-game' (such as Drow, 32-pont builds, etc.).

Superspeed_Hi5
02-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Classes that benefit most from +2 Superior Tomes:

Paladins (Str, Con, Wis, Ch - sometimes dex depends on build)
Rogues (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Ch(for UMD))
Rangers (Str, Dex, Con, Wis)
Monks (Str, Dex, Con, Wis)
Bard (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Ch)

Sure other classes can get some major benefit from 1 or 2 stats at most (Wiz, Sorc, Cl Im looking in your direction), and then theres situational builds Favored Souls depending on Healing Specced (not worth it (Con, Ch)) or Battle Specced (worth it(Str, Dex, Con, Wis, Ch)).

in the end its your money to do what you want with it but I think some class really benefit and others its just a waste.

Anthios888
02-05-2010, 01:50 PM
I think it depends on your class. As a ranger, I would think you could do quite well without +2 tomes in most stats. I'd venture to guess that you don't need your charisma at all, for example. You'd probably get through your leveling fine until you're able to pull a couple of them naturally, swapping for your key stats (str, con, dex, int, wis).

There are other classes and feats with minimum requirements for things (STR 13 for Power Attack; INT 13 for Combat Expertise; DEX 17 for Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting; CHA 20 for Divine Might IV; DEX 18 for Grand Master of Storms wind stance... etc). Rangers are great that they don't require those things unless you started with under 12 STR.

It's not about cheating. It's about value for your money. I'd rather have 60 hours of experience pots or 32 point build or reincarnating or something unique.

Cyr
02-05-2010, 02:00 PM
Who cares OP. It's not top end loot anyways. The real question is why are you wasting your real life money on that overpriced tome?