PDA

View Full Version : Appealing or Boring

Orbital-Dragon
02-03-2010, 08:52 PM
I started DDO a couple weeks ago, have been steadily doing quests, leveling, ect. But I wonder, to other players "What is appealing about this game to you?"

Something I find a bit boring, is never getting new skills or anything. I am a Barbarian, and it seems like all I do, and all I will ever do is hold down my attack button swing away, occassionally trigger some rage or something.

But it seems as though I have all the skills I am ever going to get, from level 1, and theres nothing flashy or exciting about any of them. In the quest department, there seems to be a world of content, but in the skills and abilities, it seems pretty plain and lacking.

Thats a huge feature for me in most games, I like getting new skills, bigger, flashier, more powerful. I have a hard time keeping interest in this game any more then doing a single quest maybe once a day do to the shear fact of only sitting there holding one key down as mobs drop.

killerzee
02-03-2010, 09:15 PM
It looks like you want a class with more to it then bashing. If you want to still be melee and dont mind cashing out for monk that would probably fit what your looking for, if not i find pally as a bunch of short term buffs ect adn they also have smites. Also if your getting bored of not getting any new skills and such try a wiz or a cleric they get new spells every 2 levels after 3, why i suggest wiz and cleric over fvs adnd sorc is that you can change your spells whenever you want.

Hope you try out another class and stay

hydra_ex
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Don't other games have a cap when they stop getting new "flashier" abilities? How do those ones keep you interested then?

Catholicon
02-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Something I find a bit boring, is never getting new skills or anything. I am a Barbarian, and it seems like all I do, and all I will ever do is hold down my attack button swing away, occassionally trigger some rage or something.

Welcome to DDO, it's like D&D but without the RPG.

gavagai
02-03-2010, 09:44 PM
All classes have that gradual increase, but I think the small number of levels (only 20?! ;) ) makes it seem less dramatic. Esp. for Barbs and Fighters, since they simply get better at their primary job (sustained DPS).

If you like melee but want more flavor, I'd recommend rolling one of the following:

A Paladin. These guys are more reliant on short-term divine buffs, but they get amazing special attacks (Smite Evil; Divine Sacrifice) by level 6, pretty nice self-heals, spell casting, and more. A solid, fun melee class that takes longer to develop than a Barb.

A battle-bard (warchanter). Squishier and less specialized for combat, warchanters can still be awesome little juggernauts of rage. Very dynamic in combat. Song buffs are quite powerful solo or with group, a selection of the best buff spells and nice healing spells, and with UMD you can do even more.

A melee Favored Soul (or Cleric). A Favored Soul blends the casting abilities of a cleric with the martial ability and toughness of a fighter. Unlike a cleric you can't carry every spell for every situation, but then again you usually don't need to. And the F.S. has much more spell points to make it easier to manage your SP.

If you are tired of melee, go sorc or wiz. They start out slow, but you'll relish the power by level 7/8.

Noctus
02-03-2010, 11:16 PM

Yeah, thats what Barbarians do. - Big beefy meatshield that swing, hack and slash.

Some train the Stunning Blow feat to give them some very nice CC, aslmost insta-kill-like ability and to get to do something more than running up to the next mob and hack it to death.

Barbarians are the simplest of al classes.

YOu should try out a Paladin. Once they get spells at level 4+, they have a wide array of usefull abilities and need a relatively active player to perform well.

Or if you want a real challenge, try a Cleric or Wizard.
Their adaptable spell list enas that they get more each level, and new each 2nd level new and indeed "flashy" abilities. And you really have to think while playing them. And later become reall sources of nasty destruction once they get insta-kill spells.

TiranBlade
02-03-2010, 11:24 PM
And if you Think you'll get bored of following one path change it up and mix classes come up with new combinations and try and blend abilities to create something no one else has thought of. This game is about originality and with its basis on being a MMO version of D&D the 20 level limit does seem small but when combined with ranks it makes the number of levels much more especially when trying to achieve new enhancements to liven your character up. Also on the 20 level part everything above level 20 is Epic Level and that becomes a whole new ball game of power difficulty and so on, maybe and hopefully Turbine will be able to continue and develope a way to introduce us to Epic level without taking Stormreach and Eberron out of concept.

PS: And welcome to DDO!

Khayvan
02-04-2010, 08:47 AM
For me, starting to play DDO was much like when my RPG group switched from 2nd edition AD&D to D&D 3rd edition. It's familiar enough from my years of playing that I feel pretty much right at home, but it's different enough to maintain the excitement of learning a new game system. This is maybe the thing that makes DDO most apealing to me.

But it seems as though I have all the skills I am ever going to get, from level 1, and theres nothing flashy or exciting about any of them. In the quest department, there seems to be a world of content, but in the skills and abilities, it seems pretty plain and lacking.

If you prefer to stay with melee classes, maybe you would like a pure fighter. You get new feats every two levels, on top of the feats that all classes get every three. So you'll be almost constantly getting new abilities. You'll also have a decent amount of clicks to use in the form of trips, sunders, cleaves, stunning blows, etc, that will keep you doing more than just hitting auto-attack while your eyes glaze over.

Beyond that, I'll back-up the suggesting to play a paladin. Very fun, great melee ability, lots of clicks to activate and keep you from getting bored, plus some spellcasting thrown in for good measure.

tihocan
02-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Play a different class with a different playstyle. If that's really melee you like, a strategic fighter (improved trip, stunning blow, ...) or a monk require more than just using one weapon and holding down attack button (though on low level, this strategy works for everyone ;)). Otherwise, spellcasters play quite differently.

Impaqt
02-04-2010, 11:42 AM
Wow. Rather disturbing to see so many people think character progression in DDO is "Boring"

While many barbarians follow a pretty standard progression, there is no doubt that as you progress you get substantially more powerful.

Yes, there are "Only" 20 Levels, but each level has 5 Tiers. THis equates to substantial more as compared to most MMO's

Each Action point you get can be spent on different abilities and enhancements.

AS a barbarian, there is a lot of options...

Two handed or Two Weapon fighting.

Trip, Stun, Sunder, Cleave, Frenzy.... etc etc.. These actions all improve with time and levels.

Depending on your race you can also get all kinds of racial perks and bonuses as well.

ReaperAlexEU
02-04-2010, 12:23 PM
part of the appeal is the different classes truly have differing play styles. thankfully DDO didnt take after turbines previous MMO Acherons call II. i played the beta of that and a spell caster felt the same as playing an archer, which was very similar to playing a warrior. in DDO the differences between the classes can be as clear as night and day.

as many others have mentioned you've probably just picked the wrong class for your play style. try reading through the class sections of the forum, there might be some builds in there that really appeal to you. just be wary that most casters are very weak initially, especially compared to the barbarian that has a very even power curve as it levels up.

Orbital-Dragon
02-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Well I will probably keep playing, and mess around with new PCs, and combinations. I have to be honest though, I was just looking for something to pass the time until C9 and Tera Online came out. Those style of games seem more my flavor.

Thanks for the tips.

vettkinn
02-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Well I will probably keep playing, and mess around with new PCs, and combinations. I have to be honest though, I was just looking for something to pass the time until C9 and Tera Online came out. Those style of games seem more my flavor.

Thanks for the tips.

Comrade, I checked videos for these games you mentioned, and they have lovely graphics. Hopefully, this won't be the game's only selling point.

magichacker2
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
True, True I played AION for the pretty graphics and then tried DDO. DDO has got to be the best MMO I've ever played to this point. I was amazed at how great this game is and could kick myself for missing the past few years inside its world.. Now the new Star Wars on the other hand........but I'll just keep both accounts going :-)

ApesAmongUs
02-04-2010, 01:40 PM
You hit things with an axe. What new skill do you expect? Tapdancing?

I'm glad DDO lacks all the stupid "hit this button to do more sword damage for no explained reason" buttons. I prefer not having to hit lots of extra buttons except when I actually want to do something different than "kill it with sword".

Sylvurdragon
02-04-2010, 01:45 PM
You make a comment about levels in DDO. As someone has mentioned, the levels are moderately based on the pen & paper D&D leveling system...that being said, a level 20 Paladin could probably kick a level 60ish WoW paladin in the teeth. Cleric would OWN a WoW cleric. D&D levels may be low...but they are much more powerful than most. :)

Kralgnax
02-04-2010, 03:29 PM
You make a comment about levels in DDO. As someone has mentioned, the levels are moderately based on the pen & paper D&D leveling system...that being said, a level 20 Paladin could probably kick a level 60ish WoW paladin in the teeth. Cleric would OWN a WoW cleric. D&D levels may be low...but they are much more powerful than most. :)

Ummm...well beyond the lunatic "Could Drizzt beat Pikachu ?" elements, unless you scaled them grossly, no.

DDO numbers are much smaller than those in most other games. I think my (Feral) Druid in WoW was at about 34,000 hit points raid buffed in Bear form and an AC of something like 1400. But, of course, the whole comparison is silly.

Oh, and there aren't clerics as such in WoW, priests are the closest in function, but are a cloth class (pretty damn squishy), very different from DnD. Paladins are pretty different too - a Holy spec Paladin is a very respectable main healer, but even a Protectadin has pretty respectable heal abilities.

Sylvurdragon
02-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Ummm...well beyond the lunatic "Could Drizzt beat Pikachu ?" elements, unless you scaled them grossly, no.

DDO numbers are much smaller than those in most other games. I think my (Feral) Druid in WoW was at about 34,000 hit points raid buffed in Bear form and an AC of something like 1400. But, of course, the whole comparison is silly.

Oh, and there aren't clerics as such in WoW, priests are the closest in function, but are a cloth class (pretty damn squishy), very different from DnD. Paladins are pretty different too - a Holy spec Paladin is a very respectable main healer, but even a Protectadin has pretty respectable heal abilities.

Ok...yes in hindsight the comparison is a bit silly lol. But DDO Paladins, Clerics and (hopefully one day soon DRUIDS) are MUCH more fun to play than WoW of the same type ;) Can I have that at least?

Felythan
02-05-2010, 02:49 PM
well...the obvious has been stated. You chose a barbarian. Think about this for a moment............................................ .................................................. had enough time? Maybe too young to remember, Conan (not the talk show guy). Not known for abilities other than smashing things. Try another class. Paladin maybe....hack/slash and heal....turning the undead is cool to...amaze your friends when the zombies attack and you hit the easy button. :)

i337trick
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, the main interest in this game that catches me is the Customization of your character. Whether you want to go down an entirely separate path with your character you will never be completely useless. It doesn't seem like everyone in this game is constantly trying to become the strongest and such because their is great balancing. Yes, the skills are not flashy and such. But, the game makes up for it heavily in character customization and the epic amounts of gear.
One mans game, can be another mans hate.

Kralgnax
02-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Ok...yes in hindsight the comparison is a bit silly lol. But DDO Paladins, Clerics and (hopefully one day soon DRUIDS) are MUCH more fun to play than WoW of the same type ;) Can I have that at least?
No, actually. My DDO Paladin is fun to play, but so was my WOW Paladin. The games are different to the point that they're not really comparable.

I prefer DDO by quite a bit, but my wife prefers WoW, also by quite a bit. Unless someone can produce a fun-o-meter, there's no meaningful way to compare the two.

A specific example: Some of my absolute best moments in WoW have been in battlegrounds (team-on-team PvP instances) - specifically a close fought Alterac valley action (Alterac is the big Kahuna ofbattylegrounds, a 40 vs. 40 battle in a large and complex map, cored around PvE boss fights) This is odd, because PvP really isn't my thing. There is nothing even faintly like that in DDO, however, so how do you compare?

TekkenDevil
02-07-2010, 03:17 AM
Sounds to me like you should be playing a caster class.

The main interest point in this game is the way co-op works. Everyone can fill a role and it isn't every man for himself, unlike, say, Team Fortress 2 for example, where you may have a ton of classes and a team, but you still just end up running around wildly, aiming and shooting at whoever that doesn't wear your team's colors.

Krag
02-07-2010, 03:41 AM
I started DDO a couple weeks ago, have been steadily doing quests, leveling, ect. But I wonder, to other players "What is appealing about this game to you?"

Welcome to D&D 3.5
No love for melee classes.

BracchusBridgeburner
02-07-2010, 03:54 AM
I started DDO a couple weeks ago.......

.....I like getting new skills, bigger, flashier, more powerful. I have a hard time keeping interest in this game any more then doing a single quest maybe once a day do to the shear fact of only sitting there holding one key down as mobs drop.

Unless you are one mad powerleveller I don't see how you can expect both of these statements to be true at the same time. As was sugggested above, why don't you wait until you are high enough level to start using active feats like Cleave, trip, etc? Though to be blunt, Barbs simply aren't that complex no matter what. Try one of the melee-ish classes that have more activities built into them. Bards, rogues, rangers, clerics, FvS, Paladins, etc.

SquelchHU
02-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Welcome to DDO, it's like D&D but without the RPG.

Just like every other video game?

If you want a more tactically involved melee play a Fighter, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Battle Bard, or Paladin.

If you aren't too attached to the whole melee thing but still want a more in depth gaming experience play a spellcaster.

Barbarians are intentionally straightforward.

Zippo
02-07-2010, 10:16 AM

Thats a huge feature for me in most games, I like getting new skills, bigger, flashier, more powerful. I have a hard time keeping interest in this game any more then doing a single quest maybe once a day do to the shear fact of only sitting there holding one key down as mobs drop.

I saw the suggestion already so I will just reaffirm it based on just this post right here, so might I suggest: THIS (http://www.motivationalpostergallery.com/posters/Monk.jpg)

It sounds more or less what you are looking for.

Phantomizer
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Didn't bother to read the whole thread, just the first post of 2. But i'll go ahead and drop the recommendation i drop on everyone new to DDO.

To start off, pick a simple class (Fighter and Barb work nicely in that aspect) and get to know the game, whats what and don't be afraid to ask questions when you don't know something, even despite there'll always be an ******* with a smarty pants comments. Once you know whats what, got a better idea of how things work in the game and so on, explore new options, from your description, it looks like you'ld enjoy playing a Wizard or Sorcerer.

I'ld recommend Rogue, but you'll still only be holding down the attack button while sneaking and disarming traps and locks....doesn't sound like that'ld be your thing:D

Hope you give it another shot and good luck :)

Professor_G
02-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Orbital Dragon:

My first character on DDO was a tank - a heavily armored basher. He is still fun to play, but I see your point about just holding down the attack key and whacking something until it is dead.

I have other PCs I enjoy playing that are a bit more complex like a wizard and a pally, but when I want some mindless (well, almost mindless) fun, I will go back and play my tank.

Maybe try other PCs or multi-class.

I have seen Barb/Clerics in the game, and they seem to work well.

sirdanile
02-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Orbital Dragon:
I have seen Barb/Clerics in the game, and they seem to work well.

Please for the love of all that is right and good in this world do not multiclass barbarian and cleric, you can't cast while raged and you won't be able to cast or melee as well as a pure cleric/barbarian.

If you really want casting and melee make a bard.

Perspicacity
02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Wow. Rather disturbing to see so many people think character progression in DDO is "Boring"

While many barbarians follow a pretty standard progression, there is no doubt that as you progress you get substantially more powerful.

Yes, there are "Only" 20 Levels, but each level has 5 Tiers. THis equates to substantial more as compared to most MMO's

Each Action point you get can be spent on different abilities and enhancements.

AS a barbarian, there is a lot of options...

Two handed or Two Weapon fighting.

Trip, Stun, Sunder, Cleave, Frenzy.... etc etc.. These actions all improve with time and levels.

Depending on your race you can also get all kinds of racial perks and bonuses as well.

I have to agree with Impact, I have a barb 12 / fighter 2 that I have been working on for about 4 months off and on and I just respect my action points earlier this week. Before I had 460 HP with rage and hit for about 60-80 damage on a crit which wasn't often, kinda sucked. Now I gained (among other things) frenzy berzerker 1&2 and while I only have 420 hp with rage I crit for 140-160 and crit all the time now.

My DPS almost tripled for a loss of 30 hp such a wide varence could only be available if there where allot of options available and my action bar looks alot diffrent than it use to.

ImaginaryLogic
02-11-2010, 07:54 AM
"tanking" classes (in this case, builds) are mindless in many games. If you wish to have more abilities:
look at all the feats such as power attack and cleave
Look at non-passive enhancements
respec

azrael4h
02-11-2010, 07:46 PM
well...the obvious has been stated. You chose a barbarian. Think about this for a moment............................................ .................................................. had enough time? Maybe too young to remember, Conan (not the talk show guy). Not known for abilities other than smashing things. Try another class. Paladin maybe....hack/slash and heal....turning the undead is cool to...amaze your friends when the zombies attack and you hit the easy button. :)

The original Conan was a master battlefield tactician, leading a war party at 15 in a successful raid, leading a small army to victory against a vastly larger and technically superior foe led by a immortal wizard, and winning a war on two fronts when he was a king. He also was a fair diplomat, if not worth a flip as a politician (too honorable and honest). He adventured extensively on his own, was a capable thief, sailor, ship captain, and could probably pass as a Bard who deals solely in spoken stories rather than Song.

All Conans after the original are all failures; Hulk archetypes not in the least resembling the original Cimmerian.

To the OP, try a Cleric. Fair enough in melee, gains an array of new abilities every odd level. Whats more, is you can mix and match these abilities to the quest at hand, or just to try out new stuff. I always play as a caster (to the point that non-casters are almost impossible for me to play as) in games where I have a single character to make. Even in party-based single player RPGs the one I identify with the most is generally a caster of some sort.

Boogeyman_Kid1
02-14-2010, 03:34 PM
I really don't have a problem with the skills trees available to characters. However, it does get boring just jumping from one quest to another, then rinse and repeat, with your only goal to level up. If all I want to do is level, there are services that will do that for me. I want the game to be interesting enough to just play, and leveling will come naturally. I like the combat in this game. It's far better than any other MMORPG I've played, including WoW. However, there are things that games like WoW and SWG offer that give players a change of pace in-game. WoW has a far better crafting system than DDO's hastily put together and limited system. SWG has an EXTREMELY well developed crafting system, including a 100% player-driven economy, and gives characters a way to own a house or guild hall, and even become part of a player city that you can name. This seems like a small thing, but you'd be surprised how much time you can spend placing and decorationg your house within a city of your friends, with the focal point of the city being a massive guild hall decorated with trophies of your kills and rewards. I played SWG for a long time. I enjoyed it, but I am more of a medieval fantasy player. That's why I play DnD PnP. DDO has little in common with PnP however, other than similar character building. The environment is some cheesy tropical city with palm trees and magically floating buildings. It should be a darker, more classically medieval European, or even gothic environment. We are talking about a place where monsters infest the sewers and city outskirts, and zombies and skeletons walk the cemetaries. That is what DnD was meat to be.
Don't get me wrong, I like DDO. There are a few things that NEED to get better for it to be fairly comparable to the other MMORPG's that are more successful. Right now it's too shallow, just log in and go kill stuff. It may appeal to some, but there's a reason that WoW dominates MMORPG's and SWG was a phenom for many years.

ivar415
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
To the OP: Diablo2 that wai -----> (eventually you´ll hit Diablo3)

WoW
that
wai
|
|
|
\/

Maybe eventually you´ll learn flashy means nothing.
I personally won´t hold my breath till you do. :rolleyes:

nibel
02-14-2010, 10:30 PM
DDO has little in common with PnP however, other than similar character building. The environment is some cheesy tropical city with palm trees and magically floating buildings. It should be a darker, more classically medieval European, or even gothic environment.

Nay, its perfectly what i expected from Stormreach, the "only" civilizated city in the vast continent of Xen'drik. Maybe you are just unfamiliarized with Eberron to see why we have floating stones and night lights around there.

Boogeyman_Kid1
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Nay, its perfectly what i expected from Stormreach, the "only" civilizated city in the vast continent of Xen'drik. Maybe you are just unfamiliarized with Eberron to see why we have floating stones and night lights around there.

Fair enough. I am unfamiliar with Eberron. I am just unable to imagine why they would choose such an environment when Dungeons & Dragons has far more popular locals, such as the Forgotten Realms, that are richer and more developed as a setting. DDO may be made for those who are perfectly ok with a place where your existence is simply to do and redo quests for no reason other than to get better equipment and more money. I think this is backwards. Adventurers do not choose to be adventurers to accumulate equipment. They gather equipment to complete adventures. Usually this is for financial gain, but what good is financial gain if the only use for the profit is better equipment?? In other words, no adventurer's ultimate goal is have the best equipment. The equipment is the means to an end, not the end itself.
I know this all sounds like too much to ask from a game, but it isn't. Other games have all of that without losing combat content. SWG (for example) has crafting professions that design and build weapons, armor, clothing, vehicles, starships, food, buildings, furniture, and more. They have vendors that sell goods made by players at prices that those players set. Who needs an auction when you can buy directly fromthe manufacturer? There are entertainers that sing, dance, and make cosmetic changes to PC's. They have homes that the PC's purchase and place within entire cities of players (which could easily be a separate "instance" for each guild). When you belong to a guild, your guild can buy a guild-hall (that a player created) as a sort of headquarters that is exclusive to that guild.
I'm not saying that DDO has to get player houses. Nor am I saying that DDO should try to be like SWG. Believe me, SWG isn't perfect. I'm just asking for stuff to do other than doing and repeating quests.

nibel
02-15-2010, 03:15 PM
DDO was released in 06. IIRC, the Xen'drik Expedition rpga campaign is from that year too, or late 05. Eberron is a CS released in late 03, right after the release of 3.5 books. I think that choosing Eberron as the background scenario was the best (or probly, only) option Atari/Turbine could use.

But i dont think any DDO adventurer isnt an adventurer. Just checking what i did last night: I traveled until Sorrowdusk island to save ogres from slavery, and undercovered and stopped a ritual that was promissing to bring an Avatar of the Fury to the material plane. After that, i set sail to Three Barrel Cove, and had a good time overcoming chalenges presented to me by some pirates and buccaneers. And finishing the day, I was hired to restard a very dangerous furnace in the depths of House Deneith, that was taken by a troglodite tribe.

Maybe you just need to read a bit more of the quest text, and hear the DM voice. ;)

(btw, i agree with the guild housing. I would love these)