PDA

View Full Version : Deaf-friendly Guild?

TessRavenscroft
02-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Does anyone know of guild for deaf or deaf-friendly players?

I know a lot of people like to use voicechat, or at least want their party members to listen to it, and I definitely understand the advantage to it and don't mind being turned down for a party or guild that wants to use it, but some players are just down right snippy about it. I'm not too lazy to plug in my speakers or too cheap to buy a mic headset--neither would do me any good.

About me: I'm fairly new to DDO, but very familiar with the pen-and-paper game (including 2E, which dates me as a mature player). I prefer to take my time on quests, explore thoroughly, and smash everything breakable. :) This makes me a little slow, especially since I have to backup and check everything for loot since I can't hear the clink or whatever sound you deaf-challenged guys get to notify you of a loot drop.

If anyone knows of a guild that might be a good fit, I'd appreciate it.

Pwesiela
02-03-2010, 06:08 PM
We've got a deaf member in our guild (hasn't been on in a while) but I don't think he's ever really had any problems grouping as long as the party leader knows that he is actually deaf.

I'm pretty sure there's no "deaf persons guild" floating around, as most people are just fine with having a group member who can't hear. As long as you let the party leader know when joining, and remind the party when you join, then you shouldn't have a problem. Pay close attention to how the party is running, ask questions on strategy if you know things work one way or the other, and you should be fine.

And people who have issues with it need to go get eaten by a beholder.

unionyes
02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
I run with the Wild Bunch.

I never use my mic, because I have five kids who make a lot of noise. Also, due to the kids, I often can't hear what is going on in voice chat.

My guild is very understanding, often when I tell them I can't hear anything at the moment they will type anything vital into party chat.

If you run into us kicking around on Thelanis, drop us a line.

We don't care if you can't hear, but we do care if you play well with others :)

Lagin
02-03-2010, 06:41 PM
I run with the Wild Bunch.

I never use my mic, because I have five kids who make a lot of noise. Also, due to the kids, I often can't hear what is going on in voice chat.

My guild is very understanding, often when I tell them I can't hear anything at the moment they will type anything vital into party chat.

If you run into us kicking around on Thelanis, drop us a line.

We don't care if you can't hear, but we do care if you play well with others :)

/signed
Good people to game with!
Thelanis has a large number of "issue" friendly guilds, The Wild bunch being one of them.

Mu guild (chainmail) had a member that was impaired, and we had a special program set up with ventrilo voice service.
Not sure of what is called, but I do know its available. And works in conjunction with the more common Text 2 speech & visa versa programs.

Ministry
02-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Being deaf is not an issue... or very very rarely an issue on teams.

I remember a deaf person constantly joining my runs on Thelanis.

Just tell the team or team leader asap that you are deaf and they will accomodate you.

There are very few guilds and teams that wouldn't accomodate you and if they don't... that's just pathetic.

Pwesiela
02-04-2010, 12:05 AM
There are very few guilds and teams that wouldn't accomodate you and if they don't... that's just pathetic.

Beyond pathetic imho.

Eldun
02-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Our guild leader is both blind and dumb and still manages to be a positive contributing member :)