PDA

View Full Version : User interface questions by newbie

Pehtis
02-03-2010, 02:54 AM
Although I'm a decent gamer, I'm very much a newbie to DDO as I've played for only a little while. Not sure if it's just me but I'd appreciate assistance to the following user interface questions. If there is a link with the answers (and then some) I'd love to see it.

BY THE WAY I'M F2P PLAYER (for now anyway). Just thought I point it out in case that makes a difference.

1. Selling items
Some items like potions stack. For intance I could have 3 Resist Cold Potions. However for the life of me I don't know how to sell just the 1 potion. It always makes me sell the 3. In other games you press the shift key or some variation of this.

Is it possible to sell just the one?

2. Backpack Weapon Set slots (I think that's what its called)
I've noted the blue slots to include weapon shortcuts. Intuitively I thought maybe this related to an auto equip for say sword and shield combo (or whatever) to be placed in one of my bar slots. Have I got that area of the backpack completely wrong? What is it for then?

Is it even possible to stack a combo into the 1 slot on your bar?

3. Communication - Invites
Periodically I get an invite. Before I realise what I need to do it expires. Am I missing something obvious here? Is there a shortcut key or something for all of these?

4. Communication - Tell
I've tried to contact particular players via the 'Who' menu list to see if they want to do quest. Now I find it very confusing how to go about sending a message. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A bit of clarity on how it works, and what exactly is the procedure would be nice.

5. Communication - Group
This one isn't too bad but I find it difficult to post the player classes I am looking for (say cleric + bard only). It usually only lets me do 'any'. I complete all relevant fields but still dosn't work. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. Would appreciate procedure instruction.

6. Strafing (re side stepping)
I've noted there is no side stepping which is very weird to me. I was wondering if there actually was and I'm totally missing this for some reason. Like to know what keyboard key that is (if its there).

7. Mouse lock
What exactly is this? I've read posts with players referring to this as the only way to play. No idea what they mean. I use the keyboard for movement (always hated wasd and prefer the arrows) and mouse to attack / camera view. Am I missing something?

8. Taks Bars/slots
I just stack multiple bars and click away as I need the skill or clickie. I've worked out Ctrl is the way to scroll through the bars which takes a lot of getting use to (basically I don't bother) but I understand the principle behind the hotkey. I can see I easily could have half a dozen of these which obscure the visual (no matter how I orient it).

Is there maybe a better way?

There are probably more interface questions to ask but I think these ones are appropriate as I don't think I'm the only newbie to this game to be asking these.

Otherwise this is a cool little game (so far).

- Pehtis

Trillea
02-03-2010, 03:10 AM
Although I'm a decent gamer, I'm very much a newbie to DDO as I've played for only a little while. Not sure if it's just me but I'd appreciate assistance to the following user interface questions. If there is a link with the answers (and then some) I'd love to see it.

BY THE WAY I'M F2P PLAYER (for now anyway). Just thought I point it out in case that makes a difference.

1. Selling items
Some items like potions stack. For intance I could have 3 Resist Cold Potions. However for the life of me I don't know how to sell just the 1 potion. It always makes me sell the 3. In other games you press the shift key or some variation of this.

Hold the CTRL key and drag to split stacks.

I've noted the blue slots to include weapon shortcuts. Intuitively I thought maybe this related to an auto equip for say sword and shield combo (or whatever) to be placed in one of my bar slots. Have I got that area of the backpack completely wrong? What is it for then?

Drag the weapon/shield or 2-weapon combo onto the green blocks below your inventory tab. Both will show in the block. Then drag the icon from the set bar onto your hotbar.

Periodically I get an invite. Before I realise what I need to do it expires. Am I missing something obvious here? Is there a shortcut key or something for all of these?

Click the "accept" button to accept group invites.

4. Communication - Tell
I've tried to contact particular players via the 'Who' menu list to see if they want to do quest. Now I find it very confusing how to go about sending a message. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. A bit of clarity on how it works, and what exactly is the procedure would be nice.

type /tell *name* *message* to send tells. For example typing /tell Grag What quest are you doing? would tell the character Grag "What quest are you doing?" He then can reply to you by typing /r *message*.

5. Communication - Group
This one isn't too bad but I find it difficult to post the player classes I am looking for (say cleric + bard only). It usually only lets me do 'any'. I complete all relevant fields but still dosn't work. I was wondering if I am doing something wrong. Would appreciate procedure instruction.

You can select/unselect individual classes by clicking on their icons in the grouping panel.

I've noted there is no side stepping which is very weird to me. I was wondering if there actually was and I'm totally missing this for some reason. Like to know what keyboard key that is (if its there).

There is, but the recent changes to the default setup makes me not know what they are, if you go into options, key bindings, you can set them to whatever you need. I suggest changing the set to "classic" as they make much more sense overall. It sets the movement keys to WASD with Q and E as strafe.

7. Mouse lock
What exactly is this? I've read posts with players referring to this as the only way to play. No idea what they mean. I use the keyboard for movement (always hated wasd and prefer the arrows) and mouse to attack / camera view. Am I missing something?

Hit the "T" key to turn on mouselook, it allows you to turn via moving the mouse from side to side.

8. Taks Bars/slots
I just stack multiple bars and click away as I need the skill or clickie. I've worked out Ctrl is the way to scroll through the bars which takes a lot of getting use to (basically I don't bother) but I understand the principle behind the hotkey. I can see I easily could have half a dozen of these which obscure the visual (no matter how I orient it).

You can change the orientation of the toolbars by clicking the "rotate" icon (looks like a circled arrow), this will let you drag one or 2 to the far right of your screen (depending on your resolution).

There are probably more interface questions to ask but I think these ones are appropriate as I don't think I'm the only newbie to this game to be asking these.

- Pehtis

Responses in GREEN

honkuimushi
02-03-2010, 03:39 AM

1. Selling items

Yes, it's possible. To split the stack, hold ctrl while you click on it. That should give you an option to pick how many you want to put in another stack. It's also useful when you want to buy a lot of an item like Spell Components or potions.

So to make a weapon combo you drag 2 weapons to the green slots under your inventory slots. Then drag that combo to your hot bar. You can now switch between the combos with 1 button.

Usually you will get a pop-up in the missdle of the screen with 2 options, accept or decline. It's worth noting that blind invites, invites with no tell from strangers is considered rude. Joining a party formed by blind tells is likely to be be an... interesting experience.

4. Communication - Tell

Type /tell or /t followed by the name.
For example:
/tell Skarn Would you like to do Heton's Rest?

To reply, you can type /reply or /r to send a tell to the last person to send a tell to you.

You can also select tell through the Grouping Panel, the Who Panel or your Focus Orb. One other thing, as a F2P player, you will have a cooldown on tells. That is to prevent Gold Farmers from using it to spam ads to the entire server.

[QUOTE=Pehtis;2728967]
5. Communication - Group

You can do this through the grouping panel. First, uncheck all, then click on the classes you want then click apply.

There are ways to strafe. It used to be Q and E, but with EU those were changed to select and use. Check your key bindings to see what they are now. You can also rebind it to whatever keys you'd like.

7. Mouse lock

It's called Mouse look. It's the same interface you get when you press the mouse wheel. It allows you to turn by merely moving the camera with your mouse. A lot of people believe this gives them more precise control.

8. Taks Bars/slots

Most people have around 10 hot bars up, casters usually have more. You can click on them, but that can be a little slow. For critical actions, people usually use key bindings. How big is your monitor? For decent size monitors, it's not so bad. But on a low resolution screen or a laptop, it can be an issue. Look around for screenshots to see how other people have their bars set up.

- Pehtis

I hope this helped.

Pehtis
02-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Thanks heaps people. Your posts above have truly helped.

Just a couple of observations regarding the interface that I think is useful to note.

1. Splitting stacks

Yes, it's possible. To split the stack, hold ctrl while you click on it. That should give you an option to pick how many you want to put in another stack. It's also useful when you want to buy a lot of an item like Spell Components or potions.

You have to do this in your backpack first. You CAN'T do this while you are at the Trade (re vendor) interface.
Be mindful of creating the backpack space because you will quickly find your backpack will always be very full.

2. Ability to Straffe

There are ways to strafe. It used to be Q and E, but with EU those were changed to select and use. Check your key bindings to see what they are now. You can also rebind it to whatever keys you'd like.

Yep it works now. Amazingly the default keyboard has this switched off.

3. Mouse Look

It's called Mouse look. It's the same interface you get when you press the mouse wheel. It allows you to turn by merely moving the camera with your mouse. A lot of people believe this gives them more precise control.

Interesting one.

Pro's: It DOES give you more control in a fight.

Con's: You are FROZEN (re locked in). You can't click away with your mouse on the clickies in your task bar. I think they must hotkey the main clickies they want to use.

There is alway the 't' toggle on/off too.

I need my access to my numerous clickies therefore it's a no-no for me (personal play style) right now.

4. Task bars

Most people have around 10 hot bars up, casters usually have more. You can click on them, but that can be a little slow. For critical actions, people usually use key bindings. How big is your monitor? For decent size monitors, it's not so bad. But on a low resolution screen or a laptop, it can be an issue. Look around for screenshots to see how other people have their bars set up.

It's a fact of the DDO interface life. There's nothing much to do except play around with the positioning of these Task Bars and hope they don't get in the way (unfortunately they annoyingly do).

Once again thanks to the community for helping with the heads up.