PDA

View Full Version : New Euro-Time Static RP Group on Orien

Fairblade
02-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Tidings of Peace,

We will be starting an English, non-perma-death, static group and wanted to see if any roleplayers are interested.

Where: The Sarlona DDO Server.
What: Looking for mature, dependable role-players, who want a good time that they can count on once/week.
When: 3 hours, every Sunday from 3pm - 6pm GMT or 10am EST - 1pm EST.
Why: To combine table-top with DDO, to have a safe-place to cherish our characters/creations, to Roleplay in an on-going campaign-mode, and to immerse ourselves once per week in a fantasy setting without leaving our homes. To finally bridge table-top gaming across continents with like-minded players.
Who: so far, slots are as follows

Slot1 - Paladin - Drayeth
Slot2 - Favoured Soul - Terracon
Slot3 - Ranger - Treuw
Slot4 -
Slot5 -
Slot6 -

The group will receive general orders from the Church (and a hireling - if no one chooses to play a healer), and missions will then be decided upon by the characters (through roleplay) on a mission-to-mission basis. Since we will be going slow, we may mostly do quests on Hard.

As for rules, I'm a big fan of Phainen's rules that can be found here http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=100248. The most pertinent being that we live off the land, so the Auction House will not be an option, but sharing items we find during the adventures will. You may create your character as you wish, including 32 point builds.

Official start date is intended for this coming Sunday February 7th, but may be bumped to the 14th.

What we are looking for: A group that takes care of itself, this is a chance for DMs to take a break, and let Atari handle the rules. We are open to having a few interested stand-ins who would love to RP, but may not be able to commit 3 hours/week.

What Roleplay Means for Us: Voice chat would be limited to increase immersion, characters would type what they say in the Party Chat, and use (( )) for out-of-character party chat ((brb phone)).

Please post your availability, what you'd like to see/create in such a group, and if possible, your experience with static groups, or pen-and-paper gaming.

My name is Drayeth of Sarlona,
Glad to make your aquaintance.

Fairblade
02-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Message Board:

Game-Time: 3pm GMT - 6pm GMT or 10am EST - 1pm EST

Next Session: Sun Mar 14, is tentative, but we will meet on server to discuss if we can run the session or not.

Team Status: Players have advanced are now level 2! Members have retired to the Inn for the night after saving the Mayor's daughter, and contemplating their first brush with group death.

Confirmed for Mar 14: Drayeth, Truwe, Terracon

Completed Quests:
Heyton's Crypt (normal)
The Cannith Crystal (hard)
The Storehouse Secret (hard)
The Collaborator (hard)
Sacrifices (hard)

vuduchild
02-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Area Reserved for Bios - Please make them short but thorough (if that makes sense) and send to Drayeth/Fairblades.

Truwe Gnollblight (Elven Ranger)- Born Jeararde Hewlstead, son of a reagent farmer on the outskirts of Stormreach. Spent most of his youth hunting, fishing, and farming. His family was was killed in a gnoll raid and his home destroyed. He lost the land due to unpaid taxes and spent the next 10 years avenging his family, where he earned the name Truwe, because of his aim and Gnollblight, for what he'd done. He now searches for balance in the world, a peace that he may never find, and a way to raise money to buy his family's farm back.

thalion
02-04-2010, 11:55 PM
My play time is limited currently so I can't fully commit to another team, but may I ask that an ALT spot be created? I would be happy to visit with the group until you fill all six slots and then just sit in reserve should you have a schedule absence.

Since you have not started the team as of yet two little things I'd like to mention:
Please consider starting your group on one of either the unofficial Roleplay Servers Sarlona or Thelanis ( RPrs are often a minority please help keep them together )
and for a static groups see my thoughts here (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=224083)

THOTHdha
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
The ocean waves gently rock the Wavecrasher as the mighty vessel speeds along twords Korthos Island. A Dwarf and Human share an evening drink in the Captain’s Quarters.

“So me ‘mate be tellin’ me ‘at you be some kind o’ Prince o’ tha Mountain. What’cha doin’ crossin’ tha sea ta this stinkin’ land fer, Grunkin? Argh, wouldn’t I love ta be a grape eatin’, honey sucklin’ Prince!”

The Dwarf can not help but let out a boisterous laugh. “The Dark Iron Clan produces no soft heirs, Captain. Idleness is not tolerated in the Mountain. Anyone with any thought of advancing to Clan Chief must set off to travel the world outside the Mountain. After all, how could someone lead well without any understanding of what lies beyond his Clan’s tunnels? No, I have set out to find a fortune worthy of a Dwarven King without relying on my Father or Clan to pave the way for me. You did not become captain of this crew by ownership; you are the captain because you have earned the respect of your crew. Not until the ‘Legendary Hero, Grunkin’ is toasted in taverns around this land I will return to my people.”

Just then a terrified shout goes out; “Dragon! Save our souls, it’s a Dragon!” Both men rush to the ships deck.

“Elder’s Beard! I’d heard of such things, but that creature is colossal!” Despite his exclamation the young Dwarf tightens his grip on his axes and drops into a stance ready to spring into action. “Seems the creature thinks us fit for a meal. It will have to have this notion corrected!”

vuduchild
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I would think the auction house would not exist at all. As much as I like to AH with my other characters, in this group it would seem to open up too much. I would prefer to act as if all the others out there are NPC's that have nothing to really offer us. I beleive using the merchants and trading between ourselves would be sufficient. But I defer to Fairblades on this.

Oh, and I read over the rules and had one question. The answer doesn't really matter too much to me either way, just wanted to clarify. How about selling unused items on the AH? It specifies buying, but not selling.

Also, are we going to have a place in the future to post bios, updates, etc. Looking forward to it.

Khayvan
02-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I would like to join you guys if that last slot is still open. I'm EST and the 10AM-1PM slot is great for me.

I have rolled a Warforged Favored Soul on Sarlona, the name is Terracon.

Will we be playing snowy Korthos? Unless everybody has already played on this server before I'm guessing we'll need to do it.

Fairblade
02-07-2010, 07:16 AM
Hail to Thee,

Friends I will attempt to answer your questions one by one:

Thalion - we can have alt slots open for days where we are missing players, but my hope is that making a 3 hour session time will allow our members to make it almost all of the time. Keep an eye on the party level progression and keep your character floating near there, so we can ask for your aid when the time comes! To make this easier for you, I will keep an area that states if players can make it the upcoming week, and if they can't, let me know if you can and I'll slot you in.
There may be special NPC-type slots that I could use help filling. Thalion, do you have a high-level character on Sarlona that may wish to interact or be involved with our group of adventurers? More to come...

ThothDha & Kayvan - we will be meeting on Snowy Korthos, fresh and ready to roleplay the first missions on Korthos! Feel free to take your character through the opening intro mission (with the NPC Cleric Cellimas) and make it to Korthos Snowy Village. Don't buy anything or do any other quests though. You should have around 900 xp.

ThothDha & Vuduchild - The Auction House will not exist for us for selling or buying. We all know how much fun they bring into our gaming, but know that it would ultimately unbalance (and for me, thwart) our deepest desire, which it to quest for the items that complete us, and define our hero's story. Our champions, are in a way, a work of art, but also a work of Fate and the items that 'fall' across our path, should reflect that as much as possible (in my opinion). That being said, your question has inspired me to come up with some treasure rules that I will post in this section of the forums, later today or this week. Let's just say that we will probably be able to amass hordes of gold by selling at the in-game vendors, but there will be reasons to hold on to that pile of coins! Stay tuned!

I hope that got everyone's questions, and will talk to you today on Khyber server! If you don't have one, make one if you can, skip to Stormreach and message me (Fairblades) on Khyber!

May we all be blessed,
Drayeth

Khayvan
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
I had a great time yesterday RPing through the introductions. I think we're going to have a really interesting group here. I'm pretty new to the RP aspect of DDO so that was a good "tutorial" for me, if you will.

Looking forward to next Sunday, guys. :)

THOTHdha
02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
ThothDha & Kayvan - we will be meeting on Snowy Korthos, fresh and ready to roleplay the first missions on Korthos! Feel free to take your character through the opening intro mission (with the NPC Cleric Cellimas) and make it to Korthos Snowy Village. Don't buy anything or do any other quests though. You should have around 900 xp.

Awesome, Gurkin is relaxing there now; swilling ale until adventure presents itself or his coin runs out. Did you finish any quests on the 7th that I should catch up on?

Our champions, are in a way, a work of art, but also a work of Fate and the items that 'fall' across our path, should reflect that as much as possible (in my opinion). That being said, your question has inspired me to come up with some treasure rules that I will post in this section of the forums, later today or this week. Let's just say that we will probably be able to amass hordes of gold by selling at the in-game vendors, but there will be reasons to hold on to that pile of coins! Stay tuned!

Custom reward options, sounds interesting. ^.^

Fairblade
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Good news finds you!

Great time on Sunday all. I really liked how we were able to mesh our character intros and story into the Heyton's Family Crypt quest. Thothdha, please have your prince go through Heyton's Family Crypt on Normal when you can, then you may sell your rewards or shop for others, we will meet on the beach next week!

I think what I really enjoyed was how we immediately shared what was in the chests before even removing it. I'm so used to everyone grabbing their loot to sell later, and possibly leaving an item for another member of the group...but this time we could definitely see the value of ensuring that all the scrolls, including one of cause fear went to the absent-minded wizard, and the heavy and light armors went to the right people.

I also want to acknowledge the level of roleplayers you are! Kuglan and Aurillion! Remind me of Fizban and Tasslehoff, fantastic duo! Terracon, by your willingness to wait till we found your character's dead body slumped by the trapped treasure chest, and RP thereafter I know you will bring a lot to the group. And Treuw, thank you for showing us how to RP on a mic! I usually RP in chat, but during table-top do so with voice.

Alright, so let's get some rules down for treasure!
Drayeth of Sarlona

Khayvan
02-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Kuglan and Aurillion! Remind me of Fizban and Tasslehoff, fantastic duo!

I second that. You guys were cracking me up all the way through!

Terracon, by your willingness to wait till we found your character's dead body slumped by the trapped treasure chest, and RP thereafter I know you will bring a lot to the group.

Thank you. The wait gave me a good chance to observe you guys RP in action. That was good for me.

vuduchild
02-10-2010, 06:56 PM
First, I would like to second the comments about the play. I will reserve other such post as KUDOS for what I consider great role playing. I actually told a couple of friends that the group had the makings of a Dragonlance-esque novel. I also thought Fizban and Tas, but it was like being in a movie with them. I thought that the whole group worked well and we all 'get it'. I had a great time and look forward to future sessions. The initial session with a new group is always tense and slow because we really don't 'know' one another or the playing styles. I see things getting smoother, and more exciting in the future. I hope that no one minds the voice RP. I am used to speaking as my character like I'm an actor playing a role. It feels right to me. And it helps because I think way faster than I type.

Second, I realized that I misspelled Truwe's last name (Gnollbloght? really??). I know it shouldn't matter, but it does. I am going to remake him (keeping him the same) and only fixing his name. I don't really mind the loss of xp but would like to keep the equipment that I've obtained. I will let the group decide though. I am going to mail the things to Drayeth. If I can keep them, great. If not, they can be sold for the group fund or destroyed. Like I said, the name matters that much to me.

Thanks, Truwe

PS. I realized that I couldn't mail anything because there are no mail boxes in Snowy side. So I remade Truwe, got his name right this time and got him exactly where he was. His armor is a little worse and his sword is now damaged, but otherwise he is the same as you saw him last Sunday. I hope this is acceptable and I will repay the armor to Aurillion.

THOTHdha
02-11-2010, 02:40 PM
I also want to acknowledge the level of roleplayers you are! Kuglan and Aurillion! Remind me of Fizban and Tasslehoff, fantastic duo! Terracon, by your willingness to wait till we found your character's dead body slumped by the trapped treasure chest, and RP thereafter I know you will bring a lot to the group. And Treuw, thank you for showing us how to RP on a mic! I usually RP in chat, but during table-top do so with voice.
I'm really disappointed that I wasn't there! I can't wait to finally get to run with all of you. If others are speaking in character over the mic that's probably what I will do also. I type fairly slowly, and my spelling is atrocious. I generally end up RPing very silent, stoic type characters online largely due to this. :-P

Thothdha, please have your prince go through Heyton's Family Crypt on Normal when you can, then you may sell your rewards or shop for others, we will meet on the beach next week!
Grunkin managed to stop sobbing into his beer over his lost family armor long enough to assist a woman seeking her friend in the crypts. He may not have found this 'Heyton' fellow, but he did come up with a well crafted Maul and he got to put a few walking dead to rest. After being tipped off about a band of adventurers he has planted himself on the docks hoping to catch up with them.

I really hate to do this, especially after I missed the first session, but I completely missed the fact that Sunday is Valentines Day. If I even suggested the idea of putting our plans off for a little while in order to play a video game my girlfriend would murder me on the spot. I *will* be there this week, but depending on how long it takes her to get ready to go out I might have to log off a bit early.

FunkyGoose
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Greetings!
Im interested in joining the questing group, however, i (probably) can't start till the next sunday after this one (21st i think [if the level gap would be a problem, i could pug/solo up to the level you guys are on]), im interested in RP, etc, and am thinking about playing a human Monk, probably light path, since i already have a dark one ad it would fit well into the RP aspect of the rest of the party with the pally etc :D

A few questions however (sorry if they have already been asked..)...

1. do you have to be VIP?

2. will there be room for more than 6 players if i or others join, or would we be reserves as such?

3. is this also Permadeath style??

Thank you

oh... and 4. can i join in please???

Fairblade
02-12-2010, 10:08 AM
May the Sun Bless our Meeting!

After discussing it as a group, here are the ideas that seem to work best at this junction. These rules can be revised if need be.

Vendors: Use the Barkeep and General Vendors to buy (anything) and sell (anything) in Korthos or on the Harbour (not the Marketplace yet). Our characters must all be in town (story-wise) for shopping to occur. We can shop when on off-time (ie when we are not playing) if our party (or your character) RP'd getting to town. Feel free to repair as well, but ask yourself if you really need to spend gold on repairs for items that may change soon.

Gold Coins: Gold coins can be amassed freely. However the costs for raising a party member at a Rest Shrine, or for items in our Silver Flame Store (see below!) should be taken into account.

Shrine Rules: We will say that the shrines are ancient magic statues, and prevalent throughout Eberron. Normally they are inert, but in our case, the Church will activate them remotely by chanelling power to them before we enter a quest. Should one of the party members die, we bring their stone to the shrine and the Church will remote-raise them for a price that can be paid later.

Raise Dead Prices: The Church can raise party members if their stone (a remarkable gem that all party members are given by the Church) is brought to an active shrine or close to a shrine. The cost may change but for now, using Table 7-9 in the 3.0 PHB (Player's Handbook) it would cost 500gp for a 10th level cleric to raise dead. The Raise Dead spell also requires a diamond component of at least 500gp. The church will start us off at 1000gpxChar Level/Raise. If it becomes too taxing, they may reduce the cost for us, but I honestly don't see this as an issue. We will have a hoard of gold soon since we are not shopping at the Auction House, and dying should be rare for us as we are being careful, tactical and using real team tactics.

The Silver Sail There will be a Magic Item Store! There will be a 1 in 20 chance (increases by 1 each session) that this Silver Flame Magic Ship will arrive in town. Magical items for sale will follow the prices in the 3.0 DMG (Dungeon Master's Guide), however the prices for us will be in PP, not GP. For example, a Ring of Feather Falling would only cost 2200GP in the DMG, but we would pay 2200PP. Also, a +1 Flaming Morningstar would go for 8308GP in the DMG, but 8308PP in our store. Remember these are the prices that the Church wants to sell these items for, but this will give us access to high-powered items, and a glimmer of the fun-aspect of shopping and looking forward to a special find. The idea here is to have items to keep saving our gold for and work towards, and the items in the store will mostly be masterwork or +1 for a long time. It will be nice to have a 'magic store' in this campaign, because as most of us remember from pen & paper...you can never find one!

I will be creating a new post with the store's items (which will change from week to week). This list will be found in the Church of the Silver Flame, and our players would be able to see the list. I will post a link to the Silver Sail Treasure Hunting ship's items shortly.

Fairblade
02-12-2010, 10:22 AM
Hi FunkyGoose,

Thanks for your interest in our Static Guild! At the moment we are full, but there will be spots available for part-time adventurers that our party would seek out if someone is missing that week.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I'll add your list to our 'stand-by' list (but we should 1st talk about what you're looking for).

Your questions answered:
1. I think if you are willing to buy certain adventure packs with your accrued points it would be less limiting. VIP would be preferred.
2. Reserves for now. There may be openings later depending on player circumstances, but for the current group, the players were interviewed beforehand and it looks like they will all be available almost all of the time.
3. Perma-gold-drain-style if you will :). Player death is the individual player's choice.
4. Lol

See you all in game Sunday!

Fairblade
02-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Blessings,

I just finished an experiment that you may wish to learn about. I started a new character and did the Korthos missions without repeating any quest, and on normal. I wanted to know how much gold and xp I'd get if I ran a character in a static party, without repeating quests. This would be a fair estimate of how we will make out by the time we reach Sunny Korthos.

Here are the results after 9 quests (incl. Misery's Peak), 2 rares, and 158 Slayer kills on Korthos, and 2 chests I couldn't unlock:

XP: 12555 Level II
Gold: 382 (plus I still have potions, scrolls, and a magic sword)
Items: I found a +1 Short Sword! in the Sacrifices quest
Time: 6 hours played

Mind you I collected the copper from every broken barrel and crate, which gave me a little boost that a full party wouldn't have, but in general, getting 1000 gold for our characters should occur shortly after reaching the harbour. I think for now the cost for a Raise Dead should stay at a flat rate of 1000gp, instead of 1000gp/level. Let me know what you think at tomorrow's adventure!

Drayeth of Sarlona

vuduchild
02-13-2010, 07:17 PM
I was under the impression that most of our quest would be run on hard. I liked this idea for multiple reasons.
1. I like the thought that we can use shrines only once.
2. Since we are only doing them once, I think we should get all we can from them without putting ourselves in too much danger.
3. The enhanced difficulty would yield more xp and treasure.

I understand that the experiment was just that, an experiment and that it is to be used as a gauge. But I would vote for Hard adventures for all of the aforementioned reasons as well as this: We are here for an adventure. This is NOT an easy life and we should work hard to succeed. With the RP aspect, we will be moving slow, searching, using tactics, bypassing unnessacery risks, etc. We have a full party, meaning there is almost no aspect of the game that we are not prepared for. We should be able to quest on hard and not only survive, but be challenged and theoretically, have more fun. Nothing worth having is easy or free.

That is my vote. As for the price for Raise Dead, I feel that our benefactors would know when we could afford more for the spell and would raise the price at that time. 1000 gp seems sufficient at this time. I'm sure it will change as our pockets become heavier.

Thanks,
Truwe's Person

THOTHdha
02-14-2010, 08:18 AM
We should be able to quest on hard and not only survive, but be challenged and theoretically, have more fun. Nothing worth having is easy or free.
I'd like to second that. With the exception of a few quests that are exceptionally difficult without the propper gear (VoN2 comes to mind; Beholders really suck without Deathblock Items) I don't see any reason not to run things on Hard.

The idea here is to have items to keep saving our gold for and work towards, and the items in the store will mostly be masterwork or +1 for a long time.
Rather than just having the standard types of 'nice pull' type gear I would really love to have the Magic Store be more of a special function type of equiptment. Finding that magic weapon that really defines the character is a lot more memerable than just picking up a pair of Flaming Khopeshes of Pure Good from the store. Instead perhaps the Church can sell the Adamantite or Silver weapons that we will be needing in order to progress without being unable to be effective in many encounters.

I wanted to know how much gold and xp I'd get if I ran a character in a static party, without repeating quests.
I spend most of my DDO time in one of the hardcore Permadeath groups. Vendoring all unwanted items and not purchasing any magic items I usually manage to get the 9k plat to buy the Medium Collectable Bag around level 6.

Fairblade
02-21-2010, 08:48 AM
The Silver Sail Magic Store

Prices are in Gold Pieces. Please note that Masterwork (MW) will cost more than their standard counterparts.
Prices are negotiable (players will do an opposed Haggle Check vs the Ship's Captain) to lower prices.
An item of intererst may be held for a hero. A 10% non-refundable deposit can hold the item for 4 sessions, after which the money is kept by the store, and the item returned for normal sale. Subsequent 10% deposits will renew the term. The deposit will be returned - minus a 20% stocking fee - should the player decide they no longer want to hold the item.

Armor
0600 Half Plate Layaway
0200 Splint Mail
0175 Masterwork Studded Leather Armor NEW!
0205 MW Docent
0157 MW Heavy Wooden Shield
0025 Studded Leather Armor Sold

2500 Full Plate +1 3 styles to choose from NEW!
1150 Chain Shirt +1 2 styles to choose from NEW!
1150 Docent +1 NEW!

Weapons
0120 MW Darts (20)
0256 MW Throwing Hammers (40)
0350 MW Greatsword
0319 MW Battleaxe
0240 MW Arrows (40) Sold

2010 +1 Shortsword
8012 Gerard Dryden's Mace

Miscellaneous Magic
0200 4 Potions of Shield of Faith Sold
0100 2 Oils of Light Repair
0025 Scroll of Tumble Sold
0501 Boots of Tumbling +1 Sold
7500 Wand of Cure Light Wounds
1001 Ogre Power Bracers STR+1 NEW!
2300 Scepter of Power II NEW!

We hope to make your acquaintance while we are still moored!
NOTE: The chance that the Church grants us an audience with the store for next session is: 25%

Fairblade
02-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Hail Team,

In a private message from Thotdha to me, he wrote the following:

...but I had not expected such a high level of RP. I have joined several groups that spoke about roleplaying in online games, but even those who propose a high level of RP tend to keep it confined to brief IC one-liners while clearing the dungeon. I am quite pleased with this higher immersion style of play...

I thought I would share my thankfullness for such a fine compliment!

I also wanted to mention that we are receiving unprecedented aid from Thalion, and the Silver Sail Store is filling up fast with items of note! Thank you Thalion!

In Gratitude,
Drayeth

Fairblade
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Hail Members,

We are looking for a few full-time players, as some of the team would like to drop to part-time, and another has mysteriously disappeared. The group has 3 full-time players, and 1 part-time player.

Ideally, we are seeking players who want to RP, and savour their character growth/decisions. We play 1/week, for 3 hours. The length of the sessions are kept small so that members can meet regularily. You already love the game, and all of this is free...come give it a try!

The party is currently on Snowy Korthos, and have only done a handful of missions in town and are about to leave into the Wilderness. We now have a Magic Store (see above) and have fun creating during each session. The group is not perma-death.

Terracon - FvS1
Truwe Gnollblight - Rgr1
Drayeth - Pal1
Sallem* - Brd1
Aurillion* - Rog1
Kuglan* - Wiz1
* part-time, we wish to fill these slots for 1 or 2 full-time players