PDA

View Full Version : New Duo Needs to Pick Classes

The_Scyphozoa
01-30-2010, 09:12 PM
My dad and I played a duo in LOTRO for a while. I'm feeling a bit burnt out with LOTRO and, having played a bit of DDO for a couple days, thought that it was a much more interesting game for a duo to play.

He played a Guardian (heavy tank) and I played a Rune-keeper (extremely squishy DPS and healer).

I'd like to pick similar classes. I'm thinking Fighter for him. A lot of the class descriptions aren't very clear, and it ends up that Clerics, Bards, Favored Souls, Monks, Sorcerers, and Wizards all sound the same as far as the extent of their abilities.

I prioritize healing over DPS. What class should I pick for great healing with the option of going into a DPS mode? And is Fighter a good easy class to learn?

Also, I read that free players have limited forum posting access, how much does it limit me?

lord_of_rage
01-30-2010, 09:22 PM
My dad and I played a duo in LOTRO for a while. I'm feeling a bit burnt out with LOTRO and, having played a bit of DDO for a couple days, thought that it was a much more interesting game for a duo to play.

He played a Guardian (heavy tank) and I played a Rune-keeper (extremely squishy DPS and healer).

I'd like to pick similar classes. I'm thinking Fighter for him. A lot of the class descriptions aren't very clear, and it ends up that Clerics, Bards, Favored Souls, Monks, Sorcerers, and Wizards all sound the same as far as the extent of their abilities.

I prioritize healing over DPS. What class should I pick for great healing with the option of going into a DPS mode? And is Fighter a good easy class to learn?

Also, I read that free players have limited forum posting access, how much does it limit me?

It is possible to roll a solid pally set for dos that can dual wield and have solid dps when needed. Once the right gear is aquired he can keep himself up in most low and mid lvl content. He can easliy obtain a high ac throughout the lvl content. Check out the valhelm build. Favored souls can be rolled to heal and fight with two hand or two weapon. Impaqts really good favored soul build is exellent.The best builds outthere require 32 pt builds which can now be purchased in the ddo store. It truly depends on how much you like the game and decide to invest. But a high ac pally that can dps and a high ac fvs that can heal and offensive cast will be an awesome combo. Or you can run a wf fighter and an arcane.

Symar-FangofLloth
01-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Nothing wrong with Fighter. Although, if he's very used to taunts, make sure to have him put all the skill points he can into Intimidate (or pick a preset path that does that for him). It's the only taunt-like move in the game.

As far as your class.... well, if you both go with the Warforged race (which you'd have to buy), you can be a Wizard (I'd suggest taking a couple levels of Rogue so you can handle traps as well) or a Sorcerer, and cover healing, some buffs, and good damage spells.
Otherwise, you'd want either a Cleric or Favored Soul (which you'd have to buy as well). Cleric is easier to learn because you can swap spells around, where a FvS chooses what spells you know when you level up, and it's expensive and with a long cool down to change them out. Both can melee decently if built for it, and both get some good offensive spells later on. As well as having all the heals and a large number of buffs.

Symar-FangofLloth
01-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh, and your posting limitation means you can onyl post in the Free Player Forums section of the forums.

IgorUnchained
01-30-2010, 09:43 PM
I think that your father should consider a Fighter or a Barbarian. I like Paladins, but they arent the best class to start with in my opinion.

If you want to heal and have a bit of DPS, there are a few options.

Clerics DPS fairly well depending on build, and they can heal a two man group without batting an eye.

Favored Souls get more spell points, which allows for more offensive casting, and they have the option to
DPS (again depending on build) respectably.

You COULD consider a Warchanter Bard. If you are just healing yourself and one other person, you and your father could really benefit from the buffs and songs while still having enough spell points to heal yourselves during and after battle.

If none of those sound great, you can look into Warforged builds with a caster who can cast repair (although they arent offered to Free To Play players if I remember correctly).

TechNoFear
01-30-2010, 09:49 PM
For a new F2P'er duo I would recommend....

Ranger X / Rogue 1-2 [good 2 weapon fighting DPS + traps + wand healing]

Cleric X [healer + OK melee at low levels + attack spells at high levels]

kamimitsu
01-30-2010, 09:50 PM
There are lots of ways to go about a duo team, but my suggestions:

1. WF WizX/Rog2 + WF Fighter: The Wiz can handle traps, nuking, crowd control, and healing (repair/reconstruct). The fighter can use tactics (improved trip, stunning blow, etc.) to mitigate damage and do DPS, with maintaining a respectable AC. WF also have some sweet natural immunities that make them a good choice for short-manning.

2. Semi-combat FvS (or Cleric) + Paladin: The healer handles healing and light DPS. The pally has moderate DPS, can self heal and will be fairly indestructible (if built well, which is no easy task) due to high saves, high AC, and some immunities.

You can substitute any melee class for Fighter or Paladin above (except perhaps rogue), depending on how you Pops will play. Here is an over generalization:

Fighter: Tactics, great DPS and AC; needs moderate healing attention.
Barbarian: HP soak and massive DPS; needs closer attention from healer in big fights.
Ranger: Can go either way: Full DPS with little AC, or AC with moderate DPS; can self-heal somewhat, so needs healing attention during big fights and a bit in-between. If you go ranger, might want to splash some Rogue for trapwork.
Pally: AC and moderate DPS, but great saves and self-healing; needs little attention except in big fights.

DDO being as customizable as it is, the above is NOT ALWAYS true, but the above is close enough for government work.

The_Scyphozoa
01-30-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry, what is AC?

DasLurch
01-30-2010, 10:49 PM
For a straight forwanrd solid Duo combo, I'd go Fighter and Cleric. They just compliment each other very well, and will not hurt you at later levels trying to finish more challenging content. As the game progresses, it will still be a decent pairing. I'd advise just trying out one of the templates for each build and following it along so you get the feel of the game. Good Luck!

honkuimushi
01-30-2010, 11:06 PM
Sorry, what is AC?

Armor Class. It's the main defensive stat in D&D. Basically, characters and monsters have an attack bonus. You roll a d20 and add that number to your attack bonus and compare that to your opponent's AC. If it's equal or higher, you hit. If it's lower, you miss. Recently a completely DDO specific mechanism called Grazing Hits was added that allows lighter hits when you roll high, but below the target's AC.

At low levels AC is a great defense. Unfortunately, it gets harder to keep a useful AC at higher levels. But with the addition of Reincarnation, respecs are about to become an option.

Damage Reduction (DR) is the other main defensive stat. It reduces the damage you take from any attack that doesn't bypass it. Usually it comes in values like 1, 3, 5 or 10. At low level, that will block a lot of your incomming damage. At higher levels, not so much, but it can make a real difference in the amount of healing a character will require.

The_Scyphozoa
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM
So, how much will putting a few levels into Rogue help? Will level 5 Rogues be able to take down traps in level 20 dungeons?

Valiance
01-31-2010, 12:25 AM
For duo I highely recommend against fighter and barb actually. They are far to specialized for the limitations that only 2 people in group give you.

I"d go WF paladin and WF wiz/rogue.

For experienced players melee focused WF FvS and WF wiz would be great.

Paladins can deal exceptional dps and with their lay on hands can give the emergency heal when the other member is knocked down or incapped ect.

V

kamimitsu
01-31-2010, 03:15 AM
So, how much will putting a few levels into Rogue help? Will level 5 Rogues be able to take down traps in level 20 dungeons?

Actually, 1 level of rogue will allow you to be just as trapworthy as a full level rogue (assuming your primary class either gets lots of skill points or high INT, like Ranger or Wiz respectively). The 2nd rogue level for the Wizard/Rog is generally taken for evasion, and to allow you to spend skill points in other areas and then 'catch-up' on rogue skills when you take your 2nd rogue level (usually around level 10). Rangers will usually go RangerX/Rog1, as they get evasion later anyway.