PDA

View Full Version : DPS Need help with Dex-based Ranger/? build W/ Whirlwind Attack

AsleepinSandoz
01-29-2010, 12:04 PM
I am a relatively new player and this about my high-damage, dexterity-based Ranger with Whirlwind attack.
Lawful Good Drow Ranger
Currently Level 9, ready to level up.
My base stats are:

STR 8
DEX 21
CON 12
INT 10
WIS 15
CHA 10

Notably, I have the TWF feats, Weapon Finesse, Dodge, Spring Attack and Mobility. That leaves only Combat Expertise required for Whirlwind Attack. My question is mainly regarding this; how do I get Combat Expertise? It is my understanding that it is only available to Monks and Fighters. So, would dual classing into a Monk or Fighter at any particular level give me combat expertise and a solid advantage in the short or long term? I am aware that I will need to raise my INT to 13 before I can actually train the Combat Expertise feat. I also wouldn't mind having access to an additional feat, is there a means of getting myself another choice of feat, maybe through 2 levels of another class? So far I have had success dealing out massive amounts of damage and one of my main goals is to train Whirlwind attack, really.

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Jiipster
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Whirlwind attack is almost completely useless, and definately not worth getting your INT up for.

Oh, and you'll never have "high DPS" with 8 STR. You'll have decent DPS, but not high.

Gnorbert
01-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Whirlwind attack will actually lower your DPS in all situations where you don't have at least 4 things around you. Definitely NOT worth get +3 Int and soaking up two feats. Two levels of either fighter or monk will get you two extra feats. Combat expertise is available to ANY class as long as you have 13 Int so there isn't a need to splash to get it. But... if you really MUST get it... then I recommend 2 levels of fighter and you can take the fighter haste boost and fighter Str I enhancements.

Good luck.

AsleepinSandoz
01-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks a bunch!