PDA

View Full Version : How effective is Drow spell resistance at the lvl it is available?

ArdanosMerrow
01-26-2010, 04:36 PM
The resistance increases are SR 14 at lvl 2, SR 16 at lvl 6, SR 18 at lvl 10 and SR 20 at lvl 14. Since enhancements can be changed my question really revolves around monster lvls vs SR to determine if it is very effective for the mobs you're going to be up against when the enhancements are first available.

Freeman
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
When you stop seeing the blue shield pop up, it is no longer worth it. My guess would be it would lose effectiveness somewhere around levels 8-10, but that's just a guess. I've never actually taken any of it to begin with.

Visty
01-26-2010, 04:39 PM
lvl20 clerics cast SR 31, the inherant SR is irrelevant then

Noctus
01-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Useful up to around level 8.

After that its just a waste of AP.

jsaving
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
The resistance increases are SR 14 at lvl 2, SR 16 at lvl 6, SR 18 at lvl 10 and SR 20 at lvl 14. Since enhancements can be changed my question really revolves around monster lvls vs SR to determine if it is very effective for the mobs you're going to be up against when the enhancements are first available.
The roll to bypass SR is d20 + caster level + bonuses. One immediate implication is that SR equal to your level is worthless, because foes of the same level will automatically be able to bypass it even if they have no special bonuses to the roll. But you'll often be fighting foes several levels higher than you (at least), bringing that number down by at least 3 or 4. Throw in a minimum effectiveness threshold below which you'd rather spend the AP on something else -- say, stopping more than 25% of enemy spells -- and the number comes down by an additional 6 points.

What that rough calculation leaves you with is that SR is worth carrying whenever it is more than 8 points above your character level. Drow SR first falls below this threshold at 8th level and never looks back, suggesting you should reset your enhancements at that point to eliminate it.

In other words, you should do exactly what Noctus suggested...

PurdueDave
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Useful up to around level 8.

After that its just a waste of AP.

That's about my experience.

MrWizard
01-27-2010, 01:38 PM
aren't most of the mobs at 20th level end game like really high level casters, possilby with spell pen bonuses?

I just assumed spell resistance was futile against them even cast by a cleric. 31 resist sounds good, but if the caster level of the mob is treated as high 20s...plus pens, it won't work.

The CR throws me off though. Perhaps even though the CR is 30, the spell caster level will still be 20...not counting bonuses, its a 50/50 to resist basically.

Never tried to test it.

SquelchHU
01-27-2010, 04:53 PM
aren't most of the mobs at 20th level end game like really high level casters, possilby with spell pen bonuses?

I just assumed spell resistance was futile against them even cast by a cleric. 31 resist sounds good, but if the caster level of the mob is treated as high 20s...plus pens, it won't work.

The CR throws me off though. Perhaps even though the CR is 30, the spell caster level will still be 20...not counting bonuses, its a 50/50 to resist basically.

Never tried to test it.

I rarely if ever see blue shields even with a level appropriate Cleric SR, so yes it is safe to say enemy casters have an edge on CL. This is also apparent when using Dispel against them or having them do the same to you.

Not to mention that many spells they cast will just flat out ignore spell resistance.

My recommendation to you is to forget about SR, get your saves up, and get immunity to common effects whenever you know that they will occur.

EKKM
01-27-2010, 06:14 PM
The cleric spell buff doesnt go off often but if iit works once or twice it is probably going to save sp that would otherwise be spent healing or removing effects. The mass version will probably cover everyone the entire quest (esp if extended).