PDA

View Full Version : paladin advice wanted on build

SilkofDrasnia
01-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Hello everyone my wife and i are new to this game, we are having loads and loads of fun with it lolz.
We mostly "duo solo", just her n i in a party except for solo only quests. I'm a paladin and shes a cleric.

So far we only have been in one party with random peeps and that was for "kobolts assualt ". we have done quests up to and including proof is in the pioson (this one was really hard for us on normal tho it was our 1st time doing it so... )

now we are both lvl 5 and have been following the "paths" that u can choose when creating a toon. (i know many say these paths are not good but for new players wanting to get a feel for a class they seem ok)

now i wish to stop following the path (next time i lvl up) n want advice on what should do. oh n we have 28 point builds perhaps later on we will buy the 32 point build option dunno yet !

my stats are(this is with my armor etc equipped):

str -18 +4 (17 base + 1 enchanted bonus)
dex-10 +0 (10 base)
con-10 +0 (10 base)
int - 8 -1 (8 base)
wis- 12 +1 (12 base)
cha- 18 +4 (16 base +1 feat bonus +1 enchanted bonus)

hp -75 (50 base +20 feat +5 enchanted bonus)
sp - 31 (7 base +14 ability bonus +10 enchanted bonus)
ki - 0
ac - 28 +2 (10 base + 0 dex [bonus max dex bonus:1] + 10 armor bonus +4 shield bonus + 1 deflection bonus +3 misc bonus)

blocking DR - 8

saves:
fortitude - +11 (4 base +0 con mod +4 feat bonus +3 enchanted bonus)
reflex - +8 (1 base + 0 dex mod + 4 feat + 3 enchanted bonus)
will - +9 (1 base + 1 wisdom bonus +4 feat bonus + 3 enchanted bonus)
base attack bonus - +5
spell resistance - 0
fortification - 25%

my current equipment (dont know if this is usefull to know but just in case ):

Discarded ring - Power I +10 max sp
Engraved ring - protection +1 to deflection ac
protector brooch - (part of a set that gives +1 ac bonus and light fortification) +1 str +1 resistence
protector gloves - (set that goes with above brooch) intimidation +3 DR 1/-
anger step - (part of a set tho i only have this one piece) jump+3 (+2 bonus to hit if u have the set)
Rugged belt - lsser false life + 5 max hp
charismatic helm - cha +1
ruined signet brooch - heal+1
+2 full plate
+2 heavy mithral shield
Blade of inquisition - (reward from catacombs margarite chain quest) its like a +1 longsword
goggle of insight - attack bonus +1 (provides a +1 competence bonus to attack bonus)

ENHANCEMENTS:

armor boost:armor I
human: improved recovery I
versatility I
item defense: item defense I
Paladin:aura of good:armor
bulwark of good I
aura of good:saves
resistance of good I
Divine sacrifice I
extra lay on hands I
extra smite I
extra smite II
skill:heal I
stat: cha
cha I
turn undead:extra turn I
improved turning I

SPELLS:

bless
cure lght wounds
divine favor
lesser restoration
lionheart
protection from evil
resistance
seek eternal rest
virtue

FEATS:

attack *
aura of courage
aura of good
cleave*
defensive fighting*
divine grace
divine health
fear immunity
heavy armor proficiency
heroic durability
lay on hands*
light armor proficiency
martial weapon proficiency
medium armor proficiency
power attack*
shield proficiency(general)
simple weapon proficiency
smite evil*
sneak*
sunder*
trip*
turn undead*
weapons focus:slashing weapons

SKILLS:
total mod rank ability mod misc mod
balance -5 0 0 -5
bluff 4 0 0 4
concent. 0 0 0 0
diplomacy 4 0 4 0
haggle 4 0 4 0
heal 3 0 1 2
hide -5 0 0 -5
intimidate 11 4 4 3
jump 2 0 4 -2
listen 1 0 1 0
move silent -5 0 0 -5
repair -1 0 -1 0
search -1 0 -1 0
spot 1 0 1 0
swim -6 0 4 -10
UMD 8 4 4 0

also can tomes be used evry lvl?

i gather +2 tomes are the highest u can get?

we have been skipping some "rooms and chest" in quest cause we generally cant get to em cause no rogue, is that a big error on our part? are we missing out on lots of nice goodies? ive recently started using "find secret door" wands but there still a few we cant get too cause of locked doors etc (like at the end of the proof is in the poison quest)

we would like to farm some good equipment, can we do this on normal f2p quests or do we need to buy adventure packs( (we have catacombs one) or do u only get really nice stuff in raids?

is it possible to do raids with just 2 peeps or do u really need large 12 person groups etc ?

im hoping to use this toon till 20 n then reincarnate to "fix it" if necessary, ive heard about reincarnation in the chatbox in game but im a little confused about it. i seem to understand there 2 kinds of reincarnation f2p n p2p if so what the difference between them ?

i was using 2 sword at the beginning but it seems to me 1 sword and a shield work better for me now so i think ill go with that from now on but i dunno about later own lolz guess ill find out!

so any advice for end game? what i should be aiming at considering i dont play the game alone but with the cleric wife always?

lastly but not least i would have started this thread in the "class/pally" section but apparently as f2p im not allowed to post there LMAO, i have to say i find that highly amusing its a forum not the game LOLZ

DoctorWhofan
01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Haven't read everything but DRop CHA by two and raisethe CON. Trust me with this.

Gercho
01-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Well, your char has some faults, mainly low con, in general, if you are lvl 5, will be better for you to start again with a good build, than go all the way to lvl 20 with a bad build and then fix it with some kind of reincarnation, now that you know the game more, and the quests, you should be able to get to lvl 5 much faster than your first time...
You should read junts guide to create paladin, so you can get some ideas, and select what kind of paladin you want to be, and start again, most probably your wife should do the same with her cleric...

SilkofDrasnia
01-26-2010, 01:54 PM
thnx for the fast replies !

@DoctorWhofan is it possible to lower cha n add some to con in an existing toon or do i need to make another?
i know i could use a +2 tome (n i believe there are +2 tomes that add to evry stat ?) but would that be enough ?

@Gercho my wife and i thought of that but opted against it so we could learn more about this class etc. so far lvling in this game is easy, im used to korean grind games (hardly any quest just grind over n over in the field or dungeons on same mob repeatedly etc )

we kinda looking at this first run thru the game as a test run so i dont mind if im not top pally n she doesnt mind not being top healer but we would like more in depth advice on how to make these toons better. unless evryone tells us we wont be able to play at all n succeed in quests just the 2 of us with these toon we wont reroll em just yet . we dont mind getting to 15 n starting over or reincing. we also are not in such a hurry to be "high lvl"

DoctorWhofan
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM

@DoctorWhofan is it possible to lower cha n add some to con in an existing toon or do i need to make another?
i know i could use a +2 tome (n i believe there are +2 tomes that add to evry stat ?) but would that be enough ?

@Gercho my wife and i thought of that but opted against it so we could learn more about this class etc. so far lvling in this game is easy, im used to korean grind games (hardly any quest just grind over n over in the field or dungeons on same mob repeatedly etc )

we kinda looking at this first run thru the game as a test run so i dont mind if im not top pally n she doesnt mind not being top healer but we would like more in depth advice on how to make these toons better. unless evryone tells us we wont be able to play at all n succeed in quests just the 2 of us with these toon we wont reroll em just yet . we dont mind getting to 15 n starting over or reincing. we also are not in such a hurry to be "high lvl"

save that bit of knowledge forthe next pally. You can survive, but it will be painful later on. Also, if these are your first toons, +2 tome might be the wrongthing to spend it on.

Rusty_Can
01-26-2010, 02:10 PM
now we are both lvl 5 and have been following the "paths" that u can choose when creating a toon. (i know many say these paths are not good but for new players wanting to get a feel for a class they seem ok)

str -18 +4 (17 base + 1 enchanted bonus)
dex-10 +0 (10 base)
con-10 +0 (10 base)
int - 8 -1 (8 base)
wis- 12 +1 (12 base)
cha- 18 +4 (16 base +1 feat bonus +1 enchanted bonus)

Unfortunately, many choices performed by pre-generated paths are, at best, questionable. Starting melee characters with 10 CON is definitely one of these.

also can tomes be used evry lvl?

You can use tomes whenever you want, provided you match their minimum level requirement:
- you must be at leats lvl 3 to use +1 tomes;
- lvl 7 to use +2 tomes;
- lvl 11 to use +3 tomes;
- lvl 15 to use +4 tomes.

i gather +2 tomes are the highest u can get?

No. +4 tomes already drop in high level raids (Tower of Despair). +5 tomes might be added to game.

we have been skipping some "rooms and chest" in quest cause we generally cant get to em cause no rogue, is that a big error on our part? are we missing out on lots of nice goodies? ive recently started using "find secret door" wands but there still a few we cant get too cause of locked doors etc (like at the end of the proof is in the poison quest)

Not a big error, but DDO encourages (at least it should) forming parties and team-play.

we would like to farm some good equipment, can we do this on normal f2p quests or do we need to buy adventure packs( (we have catacombs one) or do u only get really nice stuff in raids?

As rule of thumbs, the higher the quest level, the better the loot. Raids usually drop better items.

is it possible to do raids with just 2 peeps or do u really need large 12 person groups etc ?

Some raids have even been soloed by experienced players, using advanced and top-equipped builds. Other raids are usually short-manned. Unfortunately, I can't see casual players successfully duo-ing raids.

i was using 2 sword at the beginning but it seems to me 1 sword and a shield work better for me now so i think ill go with that from now on but i dunno about later own lolz guess ill find out!

If you were using two weapons without Two Weapon Fighting feature (requires 15 Dex; Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting require 17 Dex), then you were highly ineffective due to huge penalties to your attack rolls.

Kralgnax
01-26-2010, 02:36 PM
*SNIP*
also can tomes be used evry lvl? No, tomes are one time items for a given stat- so if you consume two +2 tomes, you get +2

i gather +2 tomes are the highest u can get? +4 are the highest, mondo rare

we have been skipping some "rooms and chest" in quest cause we generally cant get to em cause no rogue, is that a big error on our part? No are we missing out on lots of nice goodies? Mostly no ive recently started using "find secret door" wands but there still a few we cant get too cause of locked doors etc (like at the end of the proof is in the poison quest)

we would like to farm some good equipment, can we do this on normal f2p quests or do we need to buy adventure packs( (we have catacombs one) or do u only get really nice stuff in raids? There's nice items available from F2P content, though most of the APs have a signature item or two, like Voice of the Master +5% EXP trinket from Delara's tomb, etc. Raid loot can certainly be TEH SHINEYZ, but, as mentioned above, raids are pretty tough

*SNIP*

im hoping to use this toon till 20 n then reincarnate to "fix it" if necessary, ive heard about reincarnation in the chatbox in game but im a little confused about it. i seem to understand there 2 kinds of reincarnation f2p n p2p if so what the difference between them ? All reincarnations will cost TPs

i was using 2 sword at the beginning but it seems to me 1 sword and a shield work better for me now so i think ill go with that from now on but i dunno about later own lolz guess ill find out! 28 pt. Paladins mostly go Two handers or sword & shield

so any advice for end game? what i should be aiming at considering i dont play the game alone but with the cleric wife always? Don't sweat it for your first Character

lastly but not least i would have started this thread in the "class/pally" section but apparently as f2p im not allowed to post there LMAO, i have to say i find that highly amusing its a forum not the game LOLZThat's life. Do read Junts' excellent Paladin build thread

Welcome to DDO!

Gercho
01-27-2010, 06:17 AM

in this guide http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=218542 you have all you want to know about paladins, and more, read it and you will have a better idea of what you can do to improve your paladin, i could wrote some parts here, but thats a really complete guide.

SilkofDrasnia
01-27-2010, 08:26 PM
thnx for ur replies :) its all stuff i wanted to know n has led me to some good areas for more info like junts guides and the ddowiki

TechNoFear
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM

Most of the better loot comes from quest chains like Water Works.

Sharn Syndicate (~3-5) has 'Nicked' weapons which are good (min lvl 2 and are bind to account).

Tangleroot (~4-7) has +3 stat items and some other nice named loot (as well as good XP and House P favor). It is quite long however (7 quests).

Delera's (~5-8) has some nice items and very good XP.

This thread details which quests drop which loot; http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=121279