PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer advise

rockaway
01-25-2010, 12:50 PM
New DDOer, played quite a few classes thru the korthos quests to get a feel for the game and see what i like.
I have alot of MMO exp so it was really just getting to know DDO itself
So after a few classes i decided i like sorcerer allways like casting in any game i played.

So i made a human sorc for the extra feat
I am not sure what 2 spells i should start with
I have an idea where to spend the points charisma to max and some con last 2 i put in dex
would the last 2 be better in int or wis? need help there

So i got the summon monster1 spell and missles at lvl 1
because i like havin a pet he isnt half bad
between that dog and a fire finger wand i can kill things easy and use missles on bigger mobs

Just want to know if im headin the right direction
read some sorc stickies and didnt see the summon spell as a choice anyone picks.
and at lvl 2 im gonna start pickin up my CC spells and maybe alternate nuke spells
would this be considered the necro spec?

and i dont have 32 pt build because i get a 30005 error when i try to put in my CC info in the ddo store
yay more errors trying to figure that issue out now too

Kaldais
01-25-2010, 01:38 PM
New DDOer, played quite a few classes thru the korthos quests to get a feel for the game and see what i like.
I have alot of MMO exp so it was really just getting to know DDO itself
So after a few classes i decided i like sorcerer allways like casting in any game i played.

So i made a human sorc for the extra feat
I am not sure what 2 spells i should start with
I have an idea where to spend the points charisma to max and some con last 2 i put in dex
would the last 2 be better in int or wis? need help there

So i got the summon monster1 spell and missles at lvl 1
because i like havin a pet he isnt half bad
between that dog and a fire finger wand i can kill things easy and use missles on bigger mobs

Just want to know if im headin the right direction
read some sorc stickies and didnt see the summon spell as a choice anyone picks.
and at lvl 2 im gonna start pickin up my CC spells and maybe alternate nuke spells
would this be considered the necro spec?

and i dont have 32 pt build because i get a 30005 error when i try to put in my CC info in the ddo store
yay more errors trying to figure that issue out now too

Magic missle is actually a pretty bad spell to get at start. You probably should pick up Niac's cold ray which does a lot more damage if they fail their save. Summon is fine as long as you switch it out at later levels.

tihocan
01-25-2010, 03:35 PM
If you got extra points to put in Int or Wis, pick Int. Will help you keep UMD and Concentration both up, possibly with a drop in balance.

vettkinn
01-25-2010, 04:58 PM
If you got extra points to put in Int or Wis, pick Int. Will help you keep UMD and Concentration both up, possibly with a drop in balance.

I was able to do well using charm person for most of the early quests. It really shines in Tear of Dhakaan.

Just remember that switching spells as a sorcerer takes long and is expensive comrade :)

EKKM
01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
summon monster 1 will be a useless spell at later levels but it is pretty handy at levels 1 -3. Charm would be a good substitute but it doesnt work on all mobs (where summon does).

Burning hands is a better damage spell than MM at levels 1-5, short range but aoe and more damage. Niacs is also a good choice.

rockaway
01-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Does charm work like a pet or hireling where u get a bar of abilities?
went with cold ray and summon monster for lvl 1
lvl 2 i picked up missles and dont like it that much
gonna start getting come CC spells when i hit lvl 3 i think
how do i switch spells?
think i would like to switch missles for mist or charm or somthing more usefull
expence isnt a problem i find it easy to run a few dungeons and sell the ****
have 75 plats at lvl 2
and i got verry lucky and got like 15 heal pots from crates

Jukken
01-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Niacs, Charm and Hypnotise are good spells in the early levels.

You change spell with the sorcerer trainer.

MrWizard
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Niacs, Charm and Hypnotise are good spells in the early levels.

You change spell with the sorcerer trainer.

agreed, if only two I would take hypnotize as one 100% of the time. Pure, unadulterated, dang blasted awesome crowd control spell for low and high levels.

Lehrman
01-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Hypnotize for crowd control at lower levels. Definite pick.

Your second pick depends on your play style.
DPS=niacs or burning hands (Niacvs is probably better since its will draw agression from a single source rather than multiple sources--which gets you dead fast.

Keeping out of the way while just doing crowd control=jump (weak choice at first level, great choice for a 3rd or 4th slot)

Mr_Nobby
01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Welcome to DDO!

I agree with other posters' opinions that Hypnotism is an awesome crowd control (CC) spell for especially low level and still very viable at higher levels thru the use of the "heightened spell" feat.

I play a 17th level Sorc on Khyber and I owe a debt of thanks to this handy guide i found back in the early days of playing.

I suggest you have a good read through that and pick out the good bits that might work for you.

The Sorcerer's Handbook: A Guide to Building and Playing Sorcerers
By: Aspenor the Beholder Slayer

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=175911

regards
Reygis

Ingo
01-26-2010, 08:43 PM

No, but a charmed monster will attack the other mobs in the room, taking the heat off of you. Won't follow you though, and eventually the charm breaks and you have to deal with it.

Tip: Charm fighter types as they have bad Will saves. Caster type mobs have better saves against charm.

DasLurch
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
As many people here have mentioned, Those early levels *** no spells can suck a bit for a sorc. On my sorc, I made use of MM, Niacs, and Hypnotise early and often. I've never played around with summon much, but that's more because I tend to group rather than aim for solo play. At level 19 now, and I still will use Hypno for some crowd control. Just make sure to get hieghten as a metamagic feat at some point if you plan on using Phantasmal Killer, Finger of Death, Web, Hypno, Charms or Dominates at higher levels. It can really make them shine.

As for swapping out spells for later, I find MM still an ok use at points because very few Mobs have a way to protect vs force damage. I swapped out Niac's for Jump, kept Hypnotize, MM, and dropped Burning Hands for Nightshield around level 6-7 when you can cast Fireball. Try and keep a shield wand on you otherwise. It's just a nice defense buff is all.

Kralgnax
01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
*SNIP*
and i got verry lucky and got like 15 heal pots from crates
Welcome to DDO!
In DDO, pets do not have ability bars, and cannot, in fact, be commanded at all. Grats on the pots ;)

Just so you know, it will cost you 100 g X (char lvl^2) X (spell level) to swap a spell, (so 100g for a level 1 bard/lvl 1 spell - 360K gold for a level 20 sorc & level 9 spell)- and you can only exchage one spell every 3 days, though any trainer will do this for you.