PDA

View Full Version : RP Server suggestions?

Oweyn_Eld
01-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Hello all,

I'm a vet LOTRO player looking for a bit of change. My wife and I are trying D&D for the first time and I may be getting a few old friends to play as well (my old high school PnP friends). Anyhow, we'd like the option of joining in some RP once in awhile. Any good server suggestions for some casual to light RP? Much thanks.
We're currently trying Thelanis but we see a LOT of players with really goofy names like "XxxxxxxxX" or "teh awesome" Could be 'cause we're in the starter area but still... Anyways, yeah, looking for a server with at least some maturity and RP. Any help would be appreciated.

KKDragonLord
01-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Only if its a PD server :p
oh, and with no AH

these would ensure to keep the population low
but in a good way

Mockduck
01-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Rather than worrying about the server, your best bet is to instead look for a good role playing Guild. Servers are servers, although Thelanis probably has more RP guilds than most.

Kadran
01-23-2010, 12:56 PM
Rather than worrying about the server, your best bet is to instead look for a good role playing Guild. Servers are servers, although Thelanis probably has more RP guilds than most.

Absolutely correct. You already have a nice start to your own RP guild with your buddies, or would be a nice addition to an established RP guild.

But it doesn't matter which server you choose. You will always see XxxxDrizztxxxX and the like. Just avoid them, they're probably 12 anyway. :-)

DoctorWhofan
01-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Agreed And as I found out with my Healbotatron, you can role play with funky names too. Yes Thelanis is your best bet.

Maybe not XxxxDrizztxxxX, but some of the funnier ones.

Aside: I have played LotRO, and have level 58, there is more of a "feeling" of Role Play than here. THere is a REally good story (duh, Tolkien) driving at everything you do, less so here. THere isa story, it's just, not in your face like LotRO. For me, I don't RP here because the story is more in the background than LotRO. IMHO.

Nuralanya
01-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Hello all,

I'm a vet LOTRO player looking for a bit of change. My wife and I are trying D&D for the first time and I may be getting a few old friends to play as well (my old high school PnP friends). Anyhow, we'd like the option of joining in some RP once in awhile. Any good server suggestions for some casual to light RP? Much thanks.
We're currently trying Thelanis but we see a LOT of players with really goofy names like "XxxxxxxxX" or "teh awesome" Could be 'cause we're in the starter area but still... Anyways, yeah, looking for a server with at least some maturity and RP. Any help would be appreciated.

All servers probably have a lot more immaturity than they used to, since f2p, but you learn to tune out the idiots after a while. I haven't really played much on any server apart from Thelanis, but there is certainly RP there - it's just not always obvious. :) I think that Sarlona might also have an active RP community but I'm not sure - maybe someone else can confirm that?

One good place to find people on Thelanis would be the Phoenix Tavern, once you have access to the Marketplace. On Thursday evenings from around 8 or 9pm eastern there are usually roleplayers there from various different guilds (as well as unguilded ones), and you can drop in for a bit of a chat in-character.

Some roleplaying guilds are more heavy-RP than others, but if you're thinking about joining one then the best thing is just to hang around and RP with a few members of some of them, maybe run a quest or two in-character, and see who you feel comfortable with. (And just so you're aware, many of the RP guilds have an online application form that you're expected to fill out in-character, so in the majority of cases a 'new' roleplayer won't get an instant invite to a guild. Don't be disappointed if someone tells you they need to discuss the prospect of your membership and get back to you!)

And to address DoctorWhofan's comment about story, some guilds have their own storyline that members contribute to, others just help each other with individual character stories. Some roleplayers have sweeping story arcs that involve a lot of people and last a year or more, some just like to interact with other people in a more general way and perhaps let a bit of their backstory be known as friendships grow. The storyline of the game itself can affect roleplay, if people want it to, but most of what I see is players making up their own stories that fit into the world.

Anyway, welcome to DDO, and I hope that you find what you're looking for. Roleplay kept me in the game when I was ready to leave, and I've made very good friends through it. Maybe you guys can find a 'second home' here too! :)

tihocan
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Thelanis is a good choice if you want to do some RP. But don't expect to get much luck RPing in random groups (on any server). Either make a group with RP in LFM comment, or (probably better) join a dedicated RP guild (on Thelanis, check the stickied guild list on the Thelanis guild forum, and look for an RP one).