PDA

View Full Version : Allignment~

TheWhiteScholar
01-23-2010, 02:36 AM
I've run myself into circles on this one, I am used to PnP D&D and having pure control over my character and all his/her different aspects. But something escapes me here.

Where do I select my alignment, I've been told that you can select your alignment just below your name entry field, but I find it is not there. I originally ignored this as I decided to play a paladin first. but... as I start trying out different classes in game I want to select different alignments to fit the 'feel' of the class. But I find so far that I am not aloud to do so.

MissErres
01-23-2010, 02:58 AM
I believe, not sure, if you select one of the pre-designed paths the game chooses your alignment for you.

Catholicon
01-23-2010, 03:46 AM
Yeah. You only choose your alignment for yourself if you customise your build at character creation.

TheWhiteScholar
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Yea, well, I select, custom every time I make a new character... or toon or whatever people seem to want to call their people in game... and its never there, I don't get the choice. Screen shot anyone? o.o

Lorien_the_First_One
01-23-2010, 11:08 AM
Yea, well, I select, custom every time I make a new character... or toon or whatever people seem to want to call their people in game... and its never there, I don't get the choice. Screen shot anyone? o.o

If you go custom the choice is right below where you pick your name.

Spoprockel
01-23-2010, 12:58 PM
http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/8229/screenshot00003t.jpg (http://img37.imageshack.us/i/screenshot00003t.jpg/)

TheHolyDarkness
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
No its not. I just made a 32 Point custom rogue, set its skill points and all that jazz, and the alignment field is not there. It forced it to be 'Lawful Good.'

I really think this is a issue, and I suspect it has something to do with new character slots. When I made a character in my first two slots, it worked fine.

When I got 2 bonus slots for going premium, it seems to have gone wrong. That's my theory.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

Lorien_the_First_One
01-23-2010, 04:47 PM
No its not. I just made a 32 Point custom rogue, set its skill points and all that jazz, and the alignment field is not there. It forced it to be 'Lawful Good.'

I really think this is a issue, and I suspect it has something to do with new character slots. When I made a character in my first two slots, it worked fine.

When I got 2 bonus slots for going premium, it seems to have gone wrong. That's my theory.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

I have 11 slots on my VIP account and 6 active slots on my premium account with no such problem.

What I have noticed is if you first select a path and then back up and try and go custom the path alignment seems to be locked in.

If you can duplicate the problem you are having I'd strongly suggest you bug report it in as much detail as possible using the in game bug reporting system.

TheHolyDarkness
01-23-2010, 04:59 PM
I went back and tested it. I believe I understand what has gone wrong, and its bad programing on the part of Turbine if you ask me.

If you are like me, you want to form the look of your character before you do the stats, so you skip the custom part of the character creation, temporarily telling it you want an auto path.

You then tweak its looks the way you think you want it to appear (though you are not sure if its coming out right due to the bad lighting in that customization screen; one of the things that makes customization take so long is how easy it is to get skin tone wrong). After you've made its look, you then backed out and told the game to roll it as a custom and then apply its stats. However, when it then asks you to input its name, the option to choose its alignment is not there.

When you first skipped the stat allocation segment, the game LOCKED your character's alignment at whatever that autopath was.

So in otherwords, right now this character maker is very against forming your appearance as step one. If the first thing you do is try to form its appearance rather than allocate its stats, its going to lock your alignment for you and there's nothing you can do about it. Quite irritating, since this means you must go through the ardous process of reapplying its stat sheet every time you delete your level 1 character on account of wanting tweak an eyebrow or something.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

DoctorWhofan
01-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I went back and tested it. I believe I understand what has gone wrong, and its bad programing on the part of Turbine if you ask me.

If you are like me, you want to form the look of your character before you do the stats, so you skip the custom part of the character creation, temporarily telling it you want an auto path.

You then tweak its looks the way you "think" you want it to appear (though you are not sure if its coming out right due to the bad lighting in that customization screen). After you've made its look, you then backed out and told the game to roll it as a custom.

However, when you first skipped the stat allocation segement, the game LOCKED you're character's alignment at whatever that outpath was, and now that you are allocating its stats, it won't let you choose.

(All this garbage, only for you to delete your character after you realize that you got some sort of color tone incorrectly due to the bad lighting).

In otherwords right now, this character maker is very against choosing your looks first. If the first thing you do is try to form its appearance rather than allocate its stats, its going to lock your stats for you and there's nothing you can do about it. Very irritating, since this means you must go through the ardous process of reapplying its stat sheet every time you delete your level 1 character on account of wanting tweak an eyebrow or something.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

I disagree. THe paths are for easy gaming..ala WoW and LotRO type character creation. Those who wish to go deeper (and the BEST option IMO) choose customize. If you are mutliclassing, you would plan it from the beginning and NEVER choose a path.

Look, Vets been scream this: Play the game, get the hang of it, then re roll. We do it all the time. That way we can create the PERFECT toon (we hope!) and be more happy playing. What is the worst that could happen? I loose a few bound items, time (very little), and LOADS of fustration of playing an imperfect and/or badly built character.

THe hardest lesson I learned in this game is NOT to get attached to your first character. Rarely will it be perfect and be playable at higher levels. Lower levels are FAR more Forgiving than higher levels.

TheHolyDarkness
01-23-2010, 05:12 PM
I disagree. THe paths are for easy gaming..ala WoW and LotRO type character creation. Those who wish to go deeper (and the BEST option IMO) choose customize. If you are mutliclassing, you would plan it from the beginning and NEVER choose a path.

Look, Vets been scream this: Play the game, get the hang of it, then re roll. We do it all the time. That way we can create the PERFECT toon (we hope!) and be more happy playing. What is the worst that could happen? I loose a few bound items, time (very little), and LOADS of fustration of playing an imperfect and/or badly built character.

THe hardest lesson I learned in this game is NOT to get attached to your first character. Rarely will it be perfect and be playable at higher levels. Lower levels are FAR more Forgiving than higher levels.

I believe you've missed the entire point of this thread. o_O

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

TheHolyDarkness
01-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Lets roll a toon.

So you make a character, you set its stats, blah blah, all in order.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00044.jpg

It asks for its name and alignment just dandy.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00045.jpg

Say however, that upon its creation, you change your mind on how it looks like. You decide to recreate it from scratch two seconds after you first spawned it.

Since the appearance is the most time consuming part, you decide to skip the prerequisite steps. You're only concerned for the face right now.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00053.jpg

You make it more to your liking.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00032.jpg

You then back up and choose its class, as well as the "customize" path.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00048.jpg

You go through the ardous stat allocation that comes with rolling a "custom path," which you had originally skipped since its a pain in the butt to go through anytime you want to get straight to the face.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00050.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00052.jpg

Finally done with that long stat sheet process! I'm ready to name and...choose its alignment? Wait where did it go?! WHERE'S THE ALIGNMENT OPTION?! O_O
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y110/dmor12/DDO/ScreenShot00046.jpg

Conclusion: Turbine needs to fix this, of which the easiest solution I see is of allowing even "auto-paths" the option of choosing their alignment so in this way its not possible to accidentally lock it out. In the meantime, you must follow the customization steps in order if you want to choose your alignment. Yeah. Kinda lame. Especially if you are spending all night rerolling it in order to get every minuet detail of its appearance in order, already knowing full well what its stat sheet is supposed to look like.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~

Catholicon
01-23-2010, 09:35 PM
It's true, I just checked it.

Selecting an auto path then going back to customise your creation and it's still locked into the alignment of that auto build.

TheWhiteScholar
01-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks so much guys, I have had a tendancy to go in that order of moving down and selecting my race and look, before actually selecting my class and path. So I see whats breaking it all now, thanks for clearing that up. :D