PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Dual Class Viability Question

KramSandor
01-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Hi all, I am downloading the game as I type. I plan to play a ranger and was just wandering, is it a viable option to take a few levels of mage/sorc to get spells like haste/stoneskin/ect? or will that greatly gimp his ability to do DPS/tank late game? thanks.

Phidius
01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Gemstone has tanked VoD on Hard, but most folks would say you'll gimp yourself.

Gadget2775
01-22-2010, 08:33 PM
Hi all, I am downloading the game as I type. I plan to play a ranger and was just wandering, is it a viable option to take a few levels of mage/sorc to get spells like haste/stoneskin/ect? or will that greatly gimp his ability to do DPS/tank late game? thanks.

Yes it's doable. Would recommend you play a toon or two to get a feel for the game mechanics before you do it though.

KramSandor
01-22-2010, 08:45 PM
thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Noctus
01-22-2010, 08:51 PM
Stick to a pure build for your 1st character, and plpay him till at least level 14 to get a feeling for the game.

After you have made suficient play experience, in what you like, and what abilities work (and which dont), and can better judge if a particular tradeoff is worth doing, then you can start multiclassing and tailoring builds to your preferences.

ivar415
01-23-2010, 04:17 AM
I plan to play a ranger and was just wandering,Welcome, and good choice. Rangers are exceptional at wandering. ;)
As others already said try to not dual class, and make sure the 1st feat you take on rolling is DODGE. It´s important to get the Tempest prestige later on. Just read up on the Ranger board and check out the stickies on this board.

It´s a bit much reading but it´s worth it. I very much recommend downloading the character creator, and play around in it. Learning about the enhancements and feats.

In game you can swap feats and enhancements for a fee (hefty one the higher level you are), but getting that Dodge will save you lots of money with Fred. He´s the one in House Jorasco to talk to, when you need to swap Feats.