PDA

View Full Version : New player - help with Ranger

Gwaihir
01-22-2010, 04:17 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to ddo.com. I've started game as elven ranger - archetype: Arcane Archer. I assume it doesn't matter what character you are playing - fun is the most important thing. However I don't want to gimp my character soon, so i would like to know whether my chosen path is way to go.

I'm not familiar with v3.5 rules (I have played a lot of AD&D 2nd Edition PnP ang computer games too). So I'm not sure what feats and enhancments i should concentrate on.

So far I have lvl3 and these stats:
Str 14, Dex 20 (18 base +1 feat +1 enchantment), Con 12, Int 9 (8 base +1 enchantment), cha 8
I have invested some points Hide (5), Move Silently (5), Jump (6), Spot (6), Balance (3), Tumble (1) - i guess those were invested automatically by chosing arcane archer path.
Enchantments: Ranger sprint boost, aerenal elf melee dmg, elven ranged dmg, elven perception 1, ranger dexterity 1.

Now I have +1 longbow and molin's great axe or should i use two weapons (amber longsword, shortsword +1, hand axe +1 - i will pick 2 of course)?

Where do you recomend to lvl up? Should I return to Korthos and repeat quest with groups (elite difficulty) or solo (i have trouble with some elite quests) or should i slowly explore stormreach harbour (i just made one quest twice and was killed when trying to kill 200 kobolds on next quest).

What gear should i have? Do you often use hirelings? Do you use special attacks rangers (i assume warriors) have?

Thanks for help.

Gwaihir

P.S. You can find my elven ranger Gerana in Cannith world.

r3dl4nce
01-22-2010, 04:30 AM
I'm pretty new to ddo.com. I've started game as elven ranger - archetype: Arcane Archer. I assume it doesn't matter what character you are playing - fun is the most important thing. However I don't want to gimp my character soon, If you don't want to gimp your character, don't go the route of arcane archer and ranged combat in general. Ranged combat is only situational, from time to time useful, and only during manyshot.

Tokeri
01-22-2010, 05:16 AM
Hi,

I'm pretty new to ddo.com. I've started game as elven ranger - archetype: Arcane Archer. I assume it doesn't matter what character you are playing - fun is the most important thing. However I don't want to gimp my character soon, so i would like to know whether my chosen path is way to go.

I'm not familiar with v3.5 rules (I have played a lot of AD&D 2nd Edition PnP ang computer games too). So I'm not sure what feats and enhancments i should concentrate on.

So far I have lvl3 and these stats:
Str 14, Dex 20 (18 base +1 feat +1 enchantment), Con 12, Int 9 (8 base +1 enchantment), cha 8
I have invested some points Hide (5), Move Silently (5), Jump (6), Spot (6), Balance (3), Tumble (1) - i guess those were invested automatically by chosing arcane archer path.
Enchantments: Ranger sprint boost, aerenal elf melee dmg, elven ranged dmg, elven perception 1, ranger dexterity 1.

Now I have +1 longbow and molin's great axe or should i use two weapons (amber longsword, shortsword +1, hand axe +1 - i will pick 2 of course)?

Where do you recomend to lvl up? Should I return to Korthos and repeat quest with groups (elite difficulty) or solo (i have trouble with some elite quests) or should i slowly explore stormreach harbour (i just made one quest twice and was killed when trying to kill 200 kobolds on next quest).

What gear should i have? Do you often use hirelings? Do you use special attacks rangers (i assume warriors) have?

Thanks for help.

Gwaihir

P.S. You can find my elven ranger Gerana in Cannith world.

hi first of whats youre wisdom ? youre wisdom is what governs youre willsaves and max sp as a ranger, 14 wisdom is required for the best ranger spells 11 to cast any spells at all

second youre dex is a bit high remeber that as a elf ranger youl get ranger dex and elf dex as enchantments so a 14-16 starting dex is enough(and cheap stat points wise) to fill a mithral chain out and still be able to hit things and dont forget that youre dmg with bows is decided by str only the chance to hit is dex (dex is still pure pwn since it buffs youre reflex save once you hit lvl 9 ranger you get evasion and youl never be struck by aoe's and most traps again[not counting elite])

once you hit lvl 7-8+ the mobs in quests starts to get a alot more hp and its alot faster to just pull out youre longsword+shortsword of awsomeness and meele some cause even if youre hellbent on stayin ranged you will not be able to compete with meele in groups ( and be hated if you shot first ask questions later since youl be kiteing things around and other's will be chaseing em down that means -4 to hit for them and if you get hit while useing a bow youl do a dice roll with -4 to AC)

the good thing about rangers are the fact that they can be both meele dps and ranged dps but only specced as one tempest or arcane archer (deepwood sniper is meh)

but anyhow the first thing you should aim for is a decent AC everypoint is worth it (just cause youre dual wielding dont mean you cant reach a decent ac in the lower lvls its quite easy with a blank +(highest nb you can wear) chain shirt and a protection item and a shield of faith potion [60 gold in the marketplace]) and the best lowbie bow is a acid longbow since acid will prevent trolls from regening and dmg almost everything that normaly would have resistances ( ice/fire mephits etc)
another thing to invest some money in is a wand of cure light wounds it costs 900g and has 50charges of 1d8 heals( also found in the market next to the potion vendor)

some quests in the harbor is really good to run several times for diffrent reasons
durks got a secret ( muckbane drops here rare wep that is made of glass and wont take dmg from ooze's&rusties and decent exp )
kobolds new ringleader (jump over the big box and its a 3-4 minute run for 2k~ exp)
osgoods basement (dont remeber quest name - short quest lots of exp[take it in the tavern standing on poles by the dock] )
waterworks chain quest lvl 4-6 ( lots of exp for these lvls and nice end rewards such as bound 2+ protection cloak and 2+ resistance ring )

those quests would give you the most exp versus time imo ( water works is long but you get a decent ammount of exp per part its 4 parts long )

but doing everything in harbor once on normal and then doing the same on hard then last on elite would probly land you somewhere in the same lvls but it would take longer but it wouldt be running the same thing over and over again

also the explorer area cerullean hills are great since youre a archer it fits youre playstyle to do the explorer areas asap once you hit lvl 6 move on into the market explorer area searing heights

.... o wow i think i got carried away ... go go power rangers ! its my favorite class for a reason =) remeber to stay pure dont be tempted to multiclass

edit : oh i think i should add that by picking costumize you get to lvl up manualy and choose skills/feats youre self just remeber when distrubuting aps in the enchantments tick the box show unavaileble to see all enchantments and their requirements it always ends up a better build then the pre made ones that way

r3dl4nce
01-22-2010, 05:34 AM
youre wisdom is what governs youre willsaves and max sp as a ranger, 14 wisdom is required for the best ranger spells 11 to cast any spells at all Just start with 10, item+6 and tome+2 and you are ok forever

to just pull out youre longsword+shortsword of awsomeness longsword in a finesse high dex build? You know longsword is not finesseable? and with 4+ difference amongst str and dex, finesse is a must.

the good thing about rangers are the fact that they can be both meele dps and ranged dps but only specced as one tempest or arcane archer (deepwood sniper is meh) Best PrE for rangers is tempest, arcane archer is not as good. You can use bow and be useful still if you are a tempest, but being a tempest let your melee skills go to the stars !

also the explorer area cerullean hillsMeh, none goes there.

remeber to stay pure dont be tempted to multiclassranger 18/fighter2 or ranger18/monk1/fighter1 better than 20 ranger

dunklezhan
01-22-2010, 05:40 AM
If you don't want to gimp your character, don't go the route of arcane archer and ranged combat in general. Ranged combat is only situational, from time to time useful, and only during manyshot.

And before you take that as gospel, go have a look at the user generated guides in another part of the forums. There's a few guides in there that may help you should you choose to go this route, and will warn you of the pitfalls of it.

I think a better way of putting across the message re ranged is that I don't think this is a route for beginners - except to encounter the above attitude when grouping and generally put up with defending your choices the whole time.

Note there's an update due which is going to improve Arcane Archer but I have no idea how effective it will then make that path.

Tokeri
01-22-2010, 05:46 AM
uhm redlance get with the program he was building an arcane archer.
and seriously a 2+ tome for someone that joined jan 2010 ?

a arcane archer can still be very potent in meele and takeing a splash or two as arcane archers costs you the cap stone and 25% atk speed + many shot is a beutiful thing. and more enjoyable then "jump in blender pile press mouse 1"

and btw did you just tell him to splash monk with 10 wis ?

edit - but it is true that an arcane archer will never out perform a tempest in pure dmg but dps aint everything altough many will tell you it is

Glockduck
01-22-2010, 05:56 AM
And before you take that as gospel, go have a look at the user generated guides in another part of the forums. There's a few guides in there that may help you should you choose to go this route, and will warn you of the pitfalls of it.

I think a better way of putting across the message re ranged is that I don't think this is a route for beginners - except to encounter the above attitude when grouping and generally put up with defending your choices the whole time.

Note there's an update due which is going to improve Arcane Archer but I have no idea how effective it will then make that path.

There is a reason you get twf and itwf as free feats as a ranger. I strongly suggest, that as a new person playing this game, you dont make ranged combat your primary source of damage.

There is a lot of hate towards ranged rangers right now. That is due to, too many new players rolling them and not understanding the mechanics, of how to play them correctly. Rogues and a primary ranged dps are some of the more difficult classes to play as far as mechanics and technique. But are some of the most common new player chosen classes to play. There is also much advice give on these forum boards by new players to the game, that have not been around long enough to understand all the game mechanics themselves. Go with what is proven and do a little research of your own.

There are many fantastic builds listed here in the forums. Look under the ranger or builds forums. Find a path or build that you like and try it out. Never be afraid to delete a character. I have been around since 2006. and I delete them all the time.

r3dl4nce
01-22-2010, 06:09 AM
dps aint everything altough many will tell you it isUh ok if you are not interested in playing high difficulty (elite just to not say epic) high level quest, ok, dps is not everything. Still I don't know what there is left for a dps class (ranger is dps class with some good buffs). Ah ok you mean you stay behind with a wand and heal like a cleric LOL
High level DDO there are simply two things: dps and heal. Every other thing is something who can buff your dps or get you healed.

PersonaJXT
01-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Firstly I should warn that ranged combat is decidedly lacking in DDO. Melee combat will generally be more useful and deal more meaningful damage. Tempest Prestige Enhancement is generally the way most rangers go in the current game.

That said, the Arcane Archer Prestige Enhancement is getting a big boost next update, and some people on the test server are reporting good damage. How it gets implemented when it goes live and how it will really stack up remains to be seen, but it should become viable (or at least more viable than it is currently). If you do go Arcane Archer, stay pure ranger. Ranged combat is just better with the ranger capstone. Melee rangers generally do better with multi-classes though (i.e. 18 ranger/1 rogue/1 monk, 18 ranger/2 fighter, etc.) as the capstone does not help them.

As a ranger, you get free Two Weapon Fighting feats, thus you should feel free to dual wield in melee. As a dex build, most people would probably recommend getting Weapon Finesse feat and using dual rapiers (or rapier and a light weapon without Oversized Weapons feat). Even if you plan on going mainly ranged, it's always better to keep a pair of good melee weapons so that you can stand and fight if it comes to it. Kiting as ranged in groups is generally frowned upon by the way.

You're still level 3 and can get full experience from korthos island slayers, I suggest you go do that. Taking full advantage of all experience offered as free to play (I assume) can get you to around level 12 or so. Granted, the early quests in harbor can easily take you up to level 6 or so without any problem so perhaps korthos island slayers isn't the best use of time. I don't know the experience breakdown for f2p, so I can't really say whether maxing explorer area experience would be worth it.

As for stats... I'd personally say your constitution is a bit low, but workable. Get off the Arcane Archer premade path as soon as possible, as generally those paths are subpar. Go custom and build your character from there. Heck, I'd even suggest rerolling since you're still only level 3.

Concerning actually doing the quests.... as a new player I suggest sticking with groups. Open the social panel (default "O") and join one of the many harbor groups. DDO is a game more about grouping than soloing, though solo is possible. But before becoming more experienced with the game, and having funds for equipment and supplies, soloing is likely less rewarding than grouping would be. Grouping also grants you the experience of other players, some of which would likely include veteran players who know the game inside and out and would likely be willing to share some of that knowledge.

Following up on that... there are some wonderful guides here on the forums I suggest you peruse. A lot of information available that would be very useful. Hope you enjoy your stay here in DDO.

Tokeri
01-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Uh ok if you are not interested in playing high difficulty (elite just to not say epic) high level quest, ok, dps is not everything. Still I don't know what there is left for a dps class (ranger is dps class with some good buffs). Ah ok you mean you stay behind with a wand and heal like a cleric LOL
High level DDO there are simply two things: dps and heal. Every other thing is something who can buff your dps or get you healed.

he is a new player currently at lvl 3.
edit : my bad

Gwaihir
01-22-2010, 06:18 AM
Thanks for your replies. I forgot to add that I have 14 base wisdom. Now I wear masterwork studded leather, so it won't cap my dexterity. I guess I will try to level a little more before I will start brand new character and learn those things you are talking about. Let's see what new expansion add to my arcane archer.