PDA

View Full Version : how many skill ranks can I have?

PopeJual
01-21-2010, 01:29 PM
If you put skill points into a class skill, you get one rank per skill point assigned.
The most ranks that a character can have in a class skill is [level +3]

If you put skill points into a cross class skill, you get 1/2 rank per skill point assigned.
The most ranks that a character can have in a cross class skill is [level/2 + 1.5]

How does this work for multiclass characters, though? Lesser/Greater reincarnation are coming soon and I'd like to de-gimp my Rogue 2/Paladin 12. :)

I can see two ways that this could work. If someone can verify one of these two cases (or tell me the correct third case if both of mine are wrong), I'd appreciate it.

CASE ONE:

Level 1 taken as Rogue
12 levels of Paladin
Level 14 taken as Rogue

Level 1, assign 4 points (max) to Open Locks
Assign no points to Open Locks for 12 levels
Assign 13 points to Open Locks at level 14 because my INT really is that high. :)
Total ranks: 17 (just like a pure Rogue)

CASE TWO:

Level 1 taken as Rogue
12 levels of Paladin
Level 14 taken as Rogue

Assign 1 point per level to Open Locks, during Paladin levels getting 1/2 rank per point assigned
Assign 1 point at level 14 because that 1 point puts me at max points assigned
Total ranks: 11 (6 ranks from Paladin levels, 5 ranks from Rogue levels)

CASE THREE:

Level 1 taken as Rogue
12 levels of Paladin
Level 14 taken as Rogue

Assign 1 point per level to Open Locks, during Paladin levels getting 1/2 rank per point assigned
Assign 7 point at level 14 because I could have 7 ranks as a Rogue at level 14
Total ranks: 17 (6 ranks from Paladin levels, 11 ranks from Rogue levels)

I've actually never gotten a concrete answer about how d20/3.5/srd would handle this situation, but I'd really like to know (in detail) how skill point assignment works under DDO.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
For MC if it a class skill for any of your classes you can go up to level+3.

When adding points to a skill you still have to pay double for skill points if they aren't class skills at the level you are adding them.

So a 1 rogue/16 pali would get a max umd of 20 ranks. When levelling up as a rogue, you buy the points 1 for 1, but when levelling as a pali the points would only get your 0.5 skill point per point spent.

PopeJual
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
For MC if it a class skill for any of your classes you can go up to level+3.

When adding points to a skill you still have to pay double for skill points if they aren't class skills at the level you are adding them.

So a 1 rogue/16 pali would get a max umd of 20 ranks. When levelling up as a rogue, you buy the points 1 for 1, but when levelling as a pali the points would only get your 0.5 skill point per point spent.

Thank you very much for the clear explanation. That's actually the best case that I had hoped for.

That means Rog1/something else x/Rogue1 level progression will let me get level+3 total ranks and now I just need to figure out how high I need to make my INT in order to get the skills I really want.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Thank you very much for the clear explanation. That's actually the best case that I had hoped for.

That means Rog1/something else x/Rogue1 level progression will let me get level+3 total ranks and now I just need to figure out how high I need to make my INT in order to get the skills I really want.

Exactly. That's why 2rogue/19wiz can be so effective on rogue duties. Lots of skill points and rogue level skill caps.

As always, rogue should be L1 for max skill points.

Kralgnax
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
Exactly. That's why 1rogue/19wiz can be so effective on rogue duties. Lots of skill points and rogue level skill caps.

As always, rogue should be L1 for max skill points.
Fixed that for ya.