PDA

View Full Version : The next DDO win: appearance customization

Draccus
01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Turbine, you’ve obviously done a fantastic job resurrecting a game that was on the brink of death. The influx of new players, monthly new content, and ways to breathe life into old characters and old quests (reincarnation and epic!), is an amazing turn around.

It’s time to take the next step towards retaining all these new, returning, and just plain excited players: character customization.

As great as DDO is in providing unique and interesting content, the player characters look like the Eberron version of the Clone Wars.

How long can you stand in Merdia without seeing someone dual wielding MinII khopeshes wearing Icy Raiments and a Minos Legen helm? Not long! Sure, there are a few odd players who sacrifice min/maxed gear setups to look unique but one shouldn’t have to sacrifice performance for appearance in a video game! It’s all just pixels so let us look like we want to look. I don’t think I need to tell anyone how much players LOVE to look different from others. Fortunately, the programming for advanced customization looks to already be in the game engine. The characters in the character creation screen look better than any of us could hope to look when we actually enter world! Some of this is probably easy and some is probably hard but all of it would help retain players.

- Armor appearance. There are some AMAZING looking armor skins in the game. I’m still discovering them. I was playing my level 7 barbarian with a bunch of TR’d vets who have been playing the game for years. I pulled a set of random leather armor and put it on just to see what it looked like. No one had ever seen the skin and it looks great. (spiked bicep bands? Cool!) It’s sad that there are great looking armor skins in the game that no one sees because the armor would be so inferior to Dragontouched. There are loads of ways to allow armor customization. The armor appearance could be permanently changed in an altar. It could be visual changed with a second armor slot used just for appearance.

- Weapon appearance. I love my Radiance II Rapiers and wouldn’t play the game without them. But I’d like to actually SEE the rapier instead of this massive flaming torch I carry in each hand. Some of the greensteel weapon models are incredible looking but all we see are flames or green slime or white sparks. Let us turn off the glowy effects if we want. Even just toning it down (like when you climb a ladder and the flames/acid/sparks are confined to the blade instead of the huge cloud) would be an improvement. Let us pick from different models when crafting a greensteel. Let us drop two items in a special crafting anvil and have the first take on the appearance of the second. The best looking shortsword in the game is only seen in two places: The Ranger character creator and Treason. That’s a shame.

- Visible sheathed weapons. Don’t hide behind that “too hard to implement excuse.” We see sheathed weapons in the character creator, and that includes two handed weapons and shields on our backs.

- Size. We also know that you can change a character’s size. One of the things that almost made me decide not to TR was that I didn’t want my Drow rogue to be bigger. I would like him to be smaller if anything but I don’t have the choice. Every member of every race is EXACTLY the same size, to the pixel, as every other character in that race (excepting a TR’d character, of course). How many of my Turbine points do you want for a Drink Me potion to make me bigger or smaller? I’ll pay them. Fat and thin would be another wonderful option.

- Helms. There is a reason 99% of players have /showhelmet off. It’s because we’re all wearing the same two helmets! I want my rogue in a hood and my barbarian in a wolf skull and my sorcerer in a crown. Instead, I’ve got three guys who all look like a minotaur.

Tough to implement? Maybe. Worth it? Probably.

SeqenenreTao
01-21-2010, 09:56 AM
Well said. I'm new to DDO, but played PnP back in the day. We relied on actually finding artwork to conceptualize our characters, or we just drew chicken scratch on paper.

We can improve this customization by adding a smithery that can change weapon/armor appearance, and other altering shops, etc...perhaps for gold or TPs.

Oh, and I don't mean to derail this thread, but how about a level cap increase to 40? Seems like many TR'ed characters out there. Just a thought (i'm only level 3 so no rush).

SEQ.

+1

Halo_572
01-21-2010, 10:10 AM
Why on earth would anyone turn off the fantastic graphic for the lampshade helmet? It looks so cool and groovy.

Just keep the wattage under 100 as otherwise it'll get scorched.

Psyk0sisS
01-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I'll sign this one too :)
/signed

P.S. Can we get some options for spending plat on some of the things the DDO Store has too (because I'm sure they'll want us to use points to customize stuff)? It'd help clear out some of the massive plat on the servers which would theoretically make some AH prices more resonable, and shut those ppl up that complain so much about how ridiculous the AH prices are. *side note: not talkin about me, I dont care either way lol*

Draccus
01-21-2010, 02:02 PM
I'll sign this one too :)
/signed

P.S. Can we get some options for spending plat on some of the things the DDO Store has too (because I'm sure they'll want us to use points to customize stuff)? It'd help clear out some of the massive plat on the servers which would theoretically make some AH prices more resonable, and shut those ppl up that complain so much about how ridiculous the AH prices are. *side note: not talkin about me, I dont care either way lol*

I don't think that that would ever happen. Turbine points often generate incremental revenue for Turbine. Plat usually doesn't. So any time Turbine can add things to the game that are considered fluff, they can add them to the Turbine Store. Players who want it will happily pay and players who don't want it won't complain that "game essential" features require cash.

I think weapon and armor customizations are the perfect applications for Turbine Store items.

Uhtred_Stark
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Good ideas. And ideas I would definately spend TPs on. The additional armor slot graphic especially would be a huge enhancement. Maybe if they charged TPs for the slot then you could craft different items (5) into the slot and it would give you different armor looks. The TP charge for the slot could pay for the programming needed to sort out what the customized armors would look like depending on what you put in. For example - plate armor +X, string of prayer beads, pure water, lilly petal, diamond and you have some brilliant looking paladin armor. Vary the ingredients and the bells and whistles of the armor change. Wouldn't everyone want that slot? Think of all the hours you would spend trying out different combinations for different looks. All good things for the game.

rest
01-21-2010, 03:47 PM
I would spend Turbine Points to have the ability to have an "Appearance" slot for armor and helms. Even if they had to be purchased seperately.

Let me say that again.

I would spend Turbine Points to have the ability to have an "Appearance" slot for armor and helms. Even if they had to be purchased seperately.

Make it so that if you are wearing heavy armor, your "appearance" armor must be heavy, if medium then medium etc etc.

Although having my monk wearing some awesome looking Full Plate would be pretty hilarious.

DoyleL
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM

Let me say that again.

/signed

donfilibuster
01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Merging two items for appearance looks a good idea.

Kruler
01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
/signed

Myrddinman
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
/signed

phalaeo
01-22-2010, 09:23 AM
/Signed

ZeroTakenaka
01-22-2010, 09:32 AM
/signed

I like this idea. There are some cool looking armors in the game.

Cyr
01-22-2010, 09:42 AM
/signed

as long as the cross dressers central from LOTRO does not happen due to dresses and suits as skins. It makes that game look horrible and breaks immersion.

AestorTheKnight
01-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Tough to implement? Maybe.

Its not tough to implement at all. I think it would be incredibly easy hehe. The mechanics already exist within the client to do it. Its just down to Turbine to make it available to the players. :)

But aye, I completely agree with Draccus, nice post too, and I like and agree with the points he raised.

You guys might want to check out my Thread on this same issue, entitled. "Skin Customisation - Further Thoughts"
it can be found here:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=220468

Please feel free to /sign it or Bump this thread as much as you like! :D

Please please Turbine give us Armour, Shield, Helmet and Weapon Customisation soon! Thanks! =)

/signed @ Draccus's OP. :)

elgranmago13
01-23-2010, 10:52 PM
/signed

Love the feature in LOTRO and would love to see it in DDO.

And for the record, my LOTRO Dwarf looks great in a dress.

AestorTheKnight
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
Hi Elgranmago! Thanks for your post!

I do not however play LOTRO, and so I dont know exactly how its Appearance Customisation system works.
Could you perhaps give a description of how LOTRO's system works or post a link to a page that describes it?
I would be very greatful!

Thanks,
Aestor the Knight :)

Lorien_the_First_One
01-23-2010, 10:55 PM
back when random loot worked I thought that skins was a really stupid and anti-D&D idea. Now that they have pretty much forced most players into the same outfits, its needed. I just think you shouldn't be able to skin out of your armor type. So leather for leather, no wearing full plate and having it look like a robe.

elgranmago13
01-23-2010, 11:19 PM
LOTRO has a slot for your normal armour that effects your stats. They also have 2 costume tabs that allow you to slot any piece of armour (including cloak!!!) you could normally wear as an appearance only item (no bearing on stats). Even better, once you slot an item in one of your costume tabs it remembers that item and you no longer have to keep it in your inventory. So, while maintaining the same stats, you can have 3 looks: your actual equipment, costume number 1, and costume number 2.
This system only works for clothing/armour, shields and weapons would be nice but are apparently much harder to do.

So in DDO, you could have the euipment slot as it is now, have one costume tab where you could slot the armour and helmet that you like the look of, and additional costume tabs available at the DDO store.

AestorTheKnight
01-24-2010, 01:22 AM
great thanks for the reply Elgranmago! :)

Sure that is an easy and cool system! And thanks for explaining it for me and others. I hope DDO gets something like this. But i would really like to see Shield and Weapon Model/Skin customisation too :) hehe!

Kallgren
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
I've already commented on another thread but I might as well join the petition.

/signed

Get use costume options already!

Cheesy polkadot hair doesn't count.

LEELOONA
10-05-2010, 10:13 AM
I loved it in Lotro.

/signed

Vellrad
10-05-2010, 10:25 AM
I would like to pay TPs for being ble to see my hair when I'm in hat.

FuzzyDuck81
10-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Let me say that again.

Make it so that if you are wearing heavy armor, your "appearance" armor must be heavy, if medium then medium etc etc.

Although having my monk wearing some awesome looking Full Plate would be pretty hilarious.

/signed, though it would be nice if the appearance slot didnt have to be the same weight class... having my ninja/kensai in a nice brigandine appearance would be pretty sweet :)

Romak
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
/signed - just as I signed the other threads with the same/similar ideas

Belvino
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
/signed

I would pay a Couple Thousand TPs to customize my charater look.

Wurmheart
10-05-2010, 11:03 AM
/signed

some of those random armors look pretty sweet, got a normal +5 fullplate now that i dont want to enequip :D

MarkusWolfe
10-05-2010, 11:28 AM
/signed.

My barbarian wants to wear a DT breastplate. He's fine with the DT pattern, but he'd like to try out some different overmeshes with it. He also wants it to be made of, or at least look like its made of, owlbear.

Sintwar
10-05-2010, 11:58 AM
/signed.

I have also seen a lot of stuff on NPC's that I would love to have for myself such as hats and visible quivers, etc.

I have also see female NPC's wearing skirts, but every armor we have is designed for male and female. I would like to see some female specific armors / outfits that have skirts, dresses, thigh high boots, etc.

I would also like to see true black outfits, and less neon junk. Nothing turns me off from this game more than seeing someone wearing a neon pink, purple or green outfit in a world that is supposed to be a dirty and grungy midevalesque place. D&D is not some 80's disco party.

MogeeMaleeg
10-05-2010, 12:39 PM
/signed

ARcdevil
10-05-2010, 02:44 PM
Signed/
alot.
though it shouldn't be that high in priority.
The priority should be something like.

1.quests
2.classes,races prestiges
3.balancing combat and rebalancing mobs hp and such.
4.cosmetic's and other appearance changing stuff.

Bolo_Grubb
10-05-2010, 02:48 PM
/signed and +1

MarkusWolfe
10-05-2010, 05:18 PM
To clarify:
http://my.ddo.com/markuswolfe/wp-content/blogs.dir/192549/files/my-gallery/armor.png
I want to apply the look of A to the shapes of B and C.

r00k
10-05-2010, 05:31 PM
I remeber having weapons and armour customisation in NWN.
I wish it were in DDO.

mournbladereigns
10-05-2010, 06:07 PM
/signed

Either the costume slot like in LOTRO, or more items like the new cosmetic hats, that let you skin whatever item you have on, with a small bonus.

That would be great for armors too. As for same armor weights, I guess I agree with that, especially now that Arcane fludiity is reasonably priced. (yay for Swordmages, and a another reason to play elves, so you can look cooler!).

Though I don't mind dresses/skirts on female characters, especially casters.

Raodin-bel-iori
10-24-2010, 10:37 PM
sweet idea. I'm for it

BossOfEarth
10-25-2010, 01:40 AM
Great idea. Why didn't *I* think of that?

dualscissors
03-15-2014, 01:51 PM
DDO does so many things so well. Too bad the customizable visual experience is a pretty severe bust with respect to armor and weapons.

I know I love the look of certain weapon and armor types and have Cannith crafted those specific sets with some useful abilities. But this is a terrible solution ultimately because Cannith items are complete junk compared to name gear or green steel. So no matter how hard one tries to meet a visual expectation, the game makes it non-viable to do that.

WoW implemented a one-step visual appearance modifier so you can make any weapon or armor look like another set of the same type. It's brilliant and hugely immersive for all those gamers who don't want to spend a couple hours a day having to settle for looking meh.

It's too bad the crafting stations or stone of change do not have a simple transmute function so you can make an awesome but ugly gear piece so it matches another item's visual appearance.

This is huge to many of us playing MMOs.

Vellrad
03-15-2014, 01:53 PM
DDO does so many things so well. Too bad the customizable visual experience is a pretty severe bust with respect to armor and weapons.

I know I love the look of certain weapon and armor types and have Cannith crafted those specific sets with some useful abilities. But this is a terrible solution ultimately because Cannith items are complete junk compared to name gear or green steel. So no matter how hard one tries to meet a visual expectation, the game makes it non-viable to do that.

WoW implemented a one-step visual appearance modifier so you can make any weapon or armor look like another set of the same type. It's brilliant and hugely immersive for all those gamers who don't want to spend a couple hours a day having to settle for looking meh.

It's too bad the crafting stations or stone of change do not have a simple transmute function so you can make an awesome but ugly gear piece so it matches another item's visual appearance.

This is huge to many of us playing MMOs.

So, you created new account jsut to necro 4 years old thread?
gz bro

enochiancub
03-15-2014, 01:58 PM
Didn't realize it was a necro. my bad.

dualscissors
03-15-2014, 02:21 PM
So, you created new account jsut to necro 4 years old thread?
gz bro

I missed this as well.

Heh, though the age of this thread and why the gear/armor appearance issue is something that never got looked at in the last 4 years is a pretty crazy!

Who knows, with the new update and all the discussion of not letting glaring shortcomings continue to linger, maybe something will become of the game offering the visual customization that one would find integral to the PnP roots of DDO.

FranOhmsford
03-15-2014, 02:34 PM
I missed this as well.

Heh, though the age of this thread and why the gear/armor appearance issue is something that never got looked at in the last 4 years is a pretty crazy!

Who knows, with the new update and all the discussion of not letting glaring shortcomings continue to linger, maybe something will become of the game offering the visual customization that one would find integral to the PnP roots of DDO.

The Devs have looked at Armour appearances in the past 4 years!

We have literally dozens of Armour Kits in the DDOStore today when not one was available just 3 years ago!

We even have actual cosmetic Helm slots now and a handful of cosmetic helms {and assorted silliness} to put in them.
When 3 years ago what we had for Cosmetic Helms was an absolute Joke!

What we're still waiting for However:

1) Cloaks!
2) Shields other than the ones from Carnival, Chronoscope and Lordsmarch {Truly Cosmetic Shields that can be put on any Shield}.
3) Quivers of course {Both Cosmetic and Useful!} - And actual Bolt Cases too please!
4) Warforged/Bladeforged Base Colour Choices - More than 2 would be nice!

Mayhem-Orien
03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
What we're still waiting for However:

1) Cloaks!
2) Shields other than the ones from Carnival, Chronoscope and Lordsmarch {Truly Cosmetic Shields that can be put on any Shield}.
3) Quivers of course {Both Cosmetic and Useful!} - And actual Bolt Cases too please!
4) Warforged/Bladeforged Base Colour Choices - More than 2 would be nice!

Yes, this. And why is the appearance slot restricted to ddo store bought armors? A lot of the models are armors that hireling wear. This isn't adding to the ability to customize but just creating more clones.

Please open it so I can slot any old loot gen armor in there and take on the appearance.

dualscissors
03-18-2014, 01:24 PM
Yes, this. And why is the appearance slot restricted to ddo store bought armors? A lot of the models are armors that hireling wear. This isn't adding to the ability to customize but just creating more clones.

Please open it so I can slot any old loot gen armor in there and take on the appearance.

This ^.

Purchased appearance items are better than having no option to make something more visually appealing to a player, but yes, it does create clones, which defeats the purpose of striving for individualized looks.

As you touch on, there are also plenty of attractive weapon and armor models in the game that many players would be content with - or even preferred to the current list of cosmetic looks. It's a bummer when you get an endgame item that is ugly as sin.

enochiancub
03-18-2014, 01:33 PM

It's be so great if this feature was introduced. I hate having to get rid of good looking gear because it's become obsolete.

EQ2 and Rift have this capability. I do wonder why DDO doesn't. Is it not capable within the system?

Ungood
03-18-2014, 07:43 PM
EQ2 and Rift have this capability. I do wonder why DDO doesn't. Is it not capable within the system?

So does, Neverwinter, GWII, and pretty much every other MMO coming out these days.

dualscissors
03-18-2014, 09:50 PM
So does, Neverwinter, GWII, and pretty much every other MMO coming out these days.

I think this hits upon why it's especially a let down to the visual-appearance-matters crowd. Not only is it cool to meet visual excellence, it's just a standard feature in so many other games in the genre.

dualscissors
03-22-2014, 06:17 PM
...meant to say that having a moderate pay feature for more armor appearance items, weapon look overlays, cloaks for those who like that would be a better (if not slightly chincey) addition if the alternative is 100s of hours of being uninspired by a Meh looking weapon or armor for your toon.

Ungood
03-22-2014, 07:10 PM
What is it with cloaks, even in DnD most people did not have cloaks to start with, as after you equipped the backpack which contained 10 gold of random items, a tent and bed roll, that grappling hook with 100 ft of silk rope, you really did not have room for a cloak anyway.

And to be honest, I hate the idea of cloaks, every single game that I have ever played that has had cloaks, they always end up looking rather dorky.

I would much rather see other kinds of back slot items, like "Quivers" or "Scabbards", toss around some Cool Looking Backpack designs like a Skull and Crossbones that has glowing red eyes (maybe offer varying glowing eye colors), have Backpacks that look like Tinkers Kits, or Piles of Bombs (for those rogues that love bomb making).

Or have "Effects" like the Palemaster Aura, but we can buy them, so we can shrouded in green smoke, or purple fire, and the like.

Perhaps maybe fall back on a good ol' standby, and put in something like a WarHammer Battle Standards that by default show our Class icon, but we can equip a cosmetic Augment Crystal, like "Eye of the Abbot" and it changes the Battle Standard to the icon of an Abbot Slayer (this would bring back the raids if this cosmetic was a very rare drop out of the raid, maybe have it only drop on elite difficulty, just to appease the power gamers), but also have other in the store cosmetic images as well.

However, what I would I love to have is "Treat" that has my Cosmetic Pet climb on my back perch there, or perhaps perches on my shoulder (I guess it would have to shrink a bit for this to happen), that would be totally awesome! (To me at least)

dualscissors
03-23-2014, 09:18 PM
What is it with cloaks, even in DnD most people did not have cloaks to start with, as after you equipped the backpack which contained 10 gold of random items, a tent and bed roll, that grappling hook with 100 ft of silk rope, you really did not have room for a cloak anyway.

As a side note, cloaks aren't huge to me, personally, but it's something I hear brought up after armors and weapons.

Asking for extra peripheral items from a development side is tough because that's where you start running into clipping issues, more art-dev hours to avoid this, more art budget, etc.

Though back to the cloaks, I get why many find these cool. Capes and trench coats (which are how I'd classify cloaks) are commonly found in the heroes of the day. It makes sense many players would find that cool.