PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the AH on Cannith?

cyberguy
01-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Just checked the AH for some new gear, why are the prices so inflated? It is absolutely ******** what items are going for on the AH, when just 2 weeks ago you could get those exact same items at a third of the price they are asking now. 250k for a single Drowshood? 300k for a +3 stat item? I dont want to even get started on the price of weapons. What is the deal?

Battleworm
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Just checked the AH for some new gear, why are the prices so inflated? It is absolutely ******** what items are going for on the AH, when just 2 weeks ago you could get those exact same items at a third of the price they are asking now. 250k for a single Drowshood? 300k for a +3 stat item? I dont want to even get started on the price of weapons. What is the deal?

Wahhh wahhh wahhh

Is anyone forcing you to buy it?You have options,you can be quiet and go farm for it or buy it.

cyberguy
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
No, no one is forcing me to buy it, thank you captain obvious for that insightful answer. My question wasn't that I had to buy it, or that I could not get it by farming for it. If you actually read the above post I was wondering why in the past 2 weeks the AH prices jumped so radically.

Phidius
01-20-2010, 09:06 AM
It's pretty standard, actually... the prices fluctuate as supply/demand change.

I used to farm the Orchard for Tapestry pieces, and would post batches of 5, 10, and 20 for less than anyone else. However, each time I posted them, I had to drop the price a little because someone else dropped their price to get theirs to sell.

Eventually, the prices got so low that I decided it was no longer worth the boredom of running the same loot run over and over, and I quit. Last I checked, the prices had climbed back up because apparently a lot of other people agreed with me.

You need to make a mental note of what the big items go for, and just wait until the ebb and flow of prices hit their lowest before buying, and highest before selling.

Impaqt
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
supply has gone Down and Demand has gone up.

or

Someone is trying to inflate the values by presetning the product at a really high price, that way whenyou see them at 20k it seems like a good deal...

Just because something is listed real high doesnt mean it sells. Often, Extra high prices are plat farmers trying to sell more gold. Its the way of MMO's.

If these prices are in GP's though, it just seems like Cannith is starting to catch up to the other servers economies.......

Sideways
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Supply and demand do level out the prices but although prices go up quickly when they're too low it takes a while for inflated prices to drop. If you post a vorp for 500K and it sells quickly you post your next one at 1mil hence a quick jump, however it takes generally three days for overpriced items not to sell and for someone to repost it - I would guess that a natural human greed would make them drop the price more slowly than they might be inclined to increase it.

Another factor here could be that more and more people on the server are doing high end stuff fairly regularly and are finding that their looted stuff just doesn't cut it - hence more demand for uberness.

I'd agree, the prices are very high at the moment so my response is not to buy it! The only expensive things I've bought are decent harry bashers!

Side

aurum1
01-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Mostly I think people are just dumb.
Ohhh 5 Chaosgardes are up on AH at 1mil plat and not selling? I will post mine for that much too!

BattleCircle
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
some of the items aren't really for sale... Priced way out of reach so no one will buy them gets you 2+ weeks of free bank space ;)

brian14
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM
some of the items aren't really for sale... Priced way out of reach so no one will buy them gets you 2+ weeks of free bank space ;)
How? I can see that it is one way to store something, but what do you mean by "two weeks?" Each posting is at most for 3 days, AFAIK.

Also it is not exactly free (well, so cheap it might as well be)

dj.kickz
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
after the auction goes unsold it'll sit in ur mailbox for 2 weeks on top of that.

der_kluge
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I think some people who post things don't really know what they're doing. I think some people don't understand the coinage system.

For example, I saw a +6 Con belt (Halfling only) for 20,000,000gp (2,000,000 plat).

I think what a lot of it is are postings by F2P people who can only auction one thing at a time - and then find their best item to try to auction. And then WAY over-inflate it because their expectations are high. Or, they don't bother to see what the market value is.

Personally, I always offer my stuff for less than what equivalent items are selling for. I'd rather selling than to have to go through the pain of having to relist it a second, or third time. If it doesn't sell on the third attempt, it becomes vendor trash.

ddoplayer064
01-20-2010, 02:43 PM
It seems the resellers have hit Cannith . when you see half a dozen of the same items, all with the same price, and all posted at the same time, you know something is up...

markusthelion
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
No, no one is forcing me to buy it, thank you captain obvious for that insightful answer. My question wasn't that I had to buy it, or that I could not get it by farming for it. If you actually read the above post I was wondering why in the past 2 weeks the AH prices jumped so radically.

haha, BURN!

Anyways yeah I think that the cannith economy is still trying to catch up to the other servers. I'd also like to say that I think some people are still trying to figure out how the money (plat to gold) transactions work. My advice would be to check the collectables on the AH, things like "silverflame hymnals, Tome:prophecy of kyber, and fragrant drowshoods" are really hot, and most vets with money will buy them. Thats a good way to start uping your plat early, heck I pulled 4 silverflame hymnals, and 2 drowshoods with only two runs of tangleroot. That way you can afford to buy a few expensive items without breaking the bank. Hope that helps ya :)

BattleCircle
01-20-2010, 05:30 PM
after the auction goes unsold it'll sit in ur mailbox for 2 weeks on top of that.

Exactly.

For players that are not running for favor, but for XP, the AH can be an excellent bank. And we are starting to see more and more TR's most of them are not running for favor... So yeah, lots of mail banking going on.

tunabomber
01-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Prices are ******** because 90% of the gamers that play this game are,plain and simple. Its just a game get over it.

lugoman
01-21-2010, 01:16 AM
People who dont know the cost of something will check the ah for a similar item and price theirs accordingly. So if the first guy is way out of line, then many after will be. Also they tend to look at stas only and not min level, so they price their higher ml item the same as a correctly priced low ml item of the same type.

My favorites are the ones with a 5,000 gold min bid and a buyout of 2,000,000 gold. That is covering all bases.

voidholder
01-21-2010, 05:38 AM
The AH system should really charge you more from posting an item (% of buyout price) and then cost a smaller % of the actual selling price. That way the price fishers would need to start from a more reasonable price in order to not to lose money. This would also prevent the AH filling with storage clutter.

The fact is that some people just want a thing and are willing to greatly overpay for it, so with the current system it is worth it to post things at way high price and then just repost if it did not sell. Which naturally drags the prices up allover.

Also as someone said the average population level gets higher so they start spending their cash for stuff that they think they need, since gear is no longer outleveled so quickly.

Lleren
01-21-2010, 05:47 AM
If someones pricing strategies seem mad. Then check your assumptions.

Quite a few other reasons for the prices as mentioned in this thread already.
My favorite reason for high prices is, "Well I could use this on an alt eventually, or maybe I could get a pile of plat for it, either way I'll be happy." This is a long term pricing strategy, and saves bank space.

cyberguy
01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
You said welcome to the real world? I thought this was an MMORPG, a video game if you will. It's not that I cant afford the stuff, but I just don't understand posting 250k for a drowshood when you can run Tangleroot and get 3 or 4 of them pretty easily. And before you come back and say "well then dont buy it", I was not planning on buying it, I was just curious as to why people would think to post it so high when they are not that hard to obtain, or when they were much much lwer just a few weeks ago. Others have pretty much answered that question.

Varr
01-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Point of referance:

Two days ago I purchased a +2 no rr level 12 vorpal Kama on Cannith....

After it had been posted on ah for three days....

For 36,500 plat.

Right now, rare drop items like bloodstones and large horns.....first time collectors items like dragon scales and even taps are very high even compaired to origional servers.....other, generally sought after items like +4 mith chain shirts, dr by passers, girds, and specialty weapons are incredibly cheap.

UnderwearModel
01-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Just because it is posted does not mean it is selling.

Look at all of the CORONATION shields posted. Ridiculous. Lots of lots of dumb stuff is on there because the froobs do not know what sells. And since they want PLAT they put ridiculous prices. Then the VETS buy the stuff and they put ridiculous prices.

There was one thing i was in a bidding war for that went cheaper than it is now listed. Since I was effected by a DOWN ISP I could not log in until today.

So I checked, my last bid on the item was about 115,000 GP, but it ended last night during my outage.

I log in today and in item similar to it(it was the ONLY item like that yesterday) is now going for a minimum bid of 1.3 million GP. No, I will not pay that. Someone else will because what is the use of plat.

As for me, I put stuff on AH to give me more plat than the vendor will give me. The other day I was the guy in the harbor selling/giving away mithril armor and shields of +1 and +2 value for LESS than base value. I am trying to encourage the new players, not take advantage. I realize that I am in the minority on that view.

ArichValtrahn
01-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Im not sure how much supply and demand really has to do with it. I play on Khyber, and its common to see two identical items in the AH listed right next to each other and one has an extra 0 tacked onto the end.

shadosatblackphoenix
01-22-2010, 07:16 AM
Also have to keep in mind that since Cannith is so unstable (between the fact its a new server, and that there's a wave of people finally reaching end game, WHILE at the same time TR is becoming popular...pure chaos, price wise), honestly, no one knows what is worth what.

You can put 50 items on AH. I have a haggle bot, so anything not worth at least 6-10 thousand plat is not worth posting, that leaves me with a lot of free AH space. I'll post a bunch of stuff that I'm not sure will sell or not at a guesstimate price, and sometimes my guess is wrong, and the price looks stupid. When looking at the AH, you will only see the stupid prices in the upper range: obviously, since if I make a mistake in the lower range, the item sells within 15 minutes. You'll never see it ;)

The same item that doesn't sell for 3 weeks at 200 thousand gold will sell for 3 million the next week.

Hell, I posted a vorpal dwarven axe for ONE GOLD with no buyouts the other day. Twice. It did NOT sell.

Are you telling me that automatically means vorpal dwarven axes are worth zero?

percard
01-23-2010, 06:50 AM
i usually sell as low as i can, not even looking at what other people sell for. it gets sold in 2 hours leaving up space in my inventory for new sellable items

never had problems so far. i dont want to pay for +34534 minor orb of greater antidisestablishmentarianism IIIVVVVX

and if someone needs my platemail +5 they can just have it. dont want to charge millions

DiAGO77
05-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Still somewhat new to the game but I have had small success finding items to auction in the pawn shops .
It was tricky for me to figure out what to sell it at but I did enough to cover my posting cost and it got me some quick cash when I needed it .
I am still not clear on something though , is there a cost to auction an item AND a fee when your posted item is successfully sold off?

Maelphistez
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Yes, there is a posting fee based on the duration of your auction as well as a 30% of the selling price fee when the item sells.

der_kluge
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Once I became Premium, I pretty much started to auction off anything and everything. I sell it cheap, so I get it out of my hair. Just about anything I can sell something for in the AH is more than I can get for it selling it to a vendor. Pawn brokers are rare enough that I don't want to walk all Eberron trying to get to one.

Works pretty well for me!

And low level items sell very well - anyone who starts up a new 4th level veteran character is going to immediately want to purchase better gear from the AH as soon as they are able.

Things that sell better:
Focused items. A +2 charisma/+2 resistance cloak isn't going to sell nearly as well as a +4 charisma cloak is. Or, a +3 resistance cloak. People want stuff with a SINGLE boost. Most of the time, anyway.

Armor with anything less than a +5 enchantment. I don't care what bells and whistles your +2 full plate has. It's +2. It isn't going to sell, because it's 3 AC less than +5 armor. Same goes for shields.

Likewise, no one that I know of wears banded armor. Never played a pure rogue, but I'm guessing studded leather is also really uncommon. Any fighter, Paladin or cleric is going to want Full Plate only.

Weapons are trickier. Falchions are apparently really popular, as are Kamas. Two-handers are also popular, as are longswords. Anything else is tougher. Daggers only sell if they have really good properties. The plus doesn't matter AS much, but it does still matter.

Frost weapons are uncommon. Anything with paralyzing, vorpal, banishing, disrupting or smiting is rare.

Anything that has a racial requirement is harder to sell.

Trinkets always seem to sell pretty well.

Certain collectibles (the ones used in recipes) always fetch good money in the AH. Vials of pure water, for example.