PDA

View Full Version : key/mousebutton mapping Q

Desdemonte
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
So I got a logitech G5 mouse and thought it would be great for key mapping the buttons for cycling through baddies. It has the 2 side buttons, plus the wheel button. I thought I'd keymap the wheel button to target closest, and the side buttons to target prev and next. I don't seem to be getting any response in-game though. I thought it would soft target the appropriate bad guy when I pushed the button, then I would right click to hard target him. When I use the buttons though, I don't get any picture in my little window of *anything* being targetted, not even the crates in the distance....

I set my keymap to (IIRC) the "classic" one (not the default one that you automatically start the game with), but again IIRC the keys for closest <.>, next <tab> and previous <ctrl tab> are the same, so it shouldn't matter what keymap I'm using. I have to sheepishly admit however that I have never actually tried using the actual keys in-game (:P) so I may be plain doing something wrong. I doubt it though- seems pretty basic: face mob, click target closest, and the closest bad guy pops up in your window.

I'm wondering if I have to set my mouse up out of game in the control panel software that came with it though. This seems wrong though, because I'd have to remap the mouse every time I was going to start or after finishing playing.

So my question is: does anybody have any thoughts as to what may be my problem?

thx,
D

Edit: I tried switching things around in-game last night, and put the hotkeys back to their originals. They worked fine. When I click on the button to set the key map for the function, I noticed the pop-up say that for mouse wheel button and I think the L and R buttons (0 and 1) could only be set as interact functions??? It wouldn't even let me set the wheel or 2 side buttons back to those 3 functions afterward. The weird thing is that it did allow it before.... Wheel (button 2) was closest target, 1st side button (button 3) was previous and 2nd side button (button 4) was next. Did a glitch allow it the first time???? Is a glitch not allowing it now? If I can't set my mouse buttons as useful functions, what the heck is the point of a gaming mouse?!?

Malazarti
01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
You actually do have to perform some setup of the mouse outside of game with the s/w that came with it and you can also setup a kind of "profile" of how you want the keys to react when pressed, otherwise it'll just try to whatever it's defaults are (which are kind of things relating to the web browser mostly, i.e. scroll down, scroll up, forward/backward, etc.).

Once you get into the mouse button setup section, you can create a profile and also add in the ddo.exe to the list of programs that you want G5 to "activate" that profile on - meaning that the mouse buttons/wheel will behave differently in ddo.exe than say firefox.

For my own, I have actually a G7 or something with only one side-button, but it's the mouse-wheel itself that is really useful as you can set it to be a certain key combination when you tilt/click it to the left or right. I think I made mine something like ALT+Left Arrow and ALT+Right Arrow. Then I went into the key mappings for my hot-bars, went down to Hot Bar 9, buttons 1 and 2 (and that bar is kind of out of the way on my screen per se), and put my mouse-wheel left-click into button 1, then mouse-wheel right-click into button 2. You'll know it's working if you see the key combination that you set in the Logitech Mouse Panel s/w appear in your key mappings. Now when you're in-game, just drag whatever spell/ability you want to those hot-buttons and your mouse-wheel controls them.

In WoW, I was able to get quite alot of functionality out of that little mouse using the mouse-wheel alone for:
mouse-wheel left-click
alt+mouse-wheel left-click
ctrl+mouse-wheel left-click
mouse-wheel right-click
alt+mouse-wheel right-click
mouse-wheel forward
alt+mouse-wheel forward
ctrl+mouse-wheel forward
mouse-wheel backward
alt+mouse-wheel backward
ctrl+mouse-wheel backward
left-side mouse button (think it's actuall called mouse button 4)
alt+left-side mouse button
ctrl+left-side mouse button

So imagine having all those combinations keyed to various spells, abilities, and useful stuff. Makes a lot of things SO much easier to activate during active movement combat especially.

Desdemonte
01-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Thank You sooooo much. I'm not very familiar with the DDO UI, or the mouse UI quite yet, but at least I know it's possible to do this stuff now. I will follow your guidelines and figure this out. +rep to you.

D

You actually do have to perform some setup of the mouse outside of game with the s/w that came with it and you can also setup a kind of "profile" of how you want the keys to react when pressed, otherwise it'll just try to whatever it's defaults are (which are kind of things relating to the web browser mostly, i.e. scroll down, scroll up, forward/backward, etc.).

Once you get into the mouse button setup section, you can create a profile and also add in the ddo.exe to the list of programs that you want G5 to "activate" that profile on - meaning that the mouse buttons/wheel will behave differently in ddo.exe than say firefox.

For my own, I have actually a G7 or something with only one side-button, but it's the mouse-wheel itself that is really useful as you can set it to be a certain key combination when you tilt/click it to the left or right. I think I made mine something like ALT+Left Arrow and ALT+Right Arrow. Then I went into the key mappings for my hot-bars, went down to Hot Bar 9, buttons 1 and 2 (and that bar is kind of out of the way on my screen per se), and put my mouse-wheel left-click into button 1, then mouse-wheel right-click into button 2. You'll know it's working if you see the key combination that you set in the Logitech Mouse Panel s/w appear in your key mappings. Now when you're in-game, just drag whatever spell/ability you want to those hot-buttons and your mouse-wheel controls them.

In WoW, I was able to get quite alot of functionality out of that little mouse using the mouse-wheel alone for:
mouse-wheel left-click
alt+mouse-wheel left-click
ctrl+mouse-wheel left-click
mouse-wheel right-click
alt+mouse-wheel right-click
mouse-wheel forward
alt+mouse-wheel forward
ctrl+mouse-wheel forward
mouse-wheel backward
alt+mouse-wheel backward
ctrl+mouse-wheel backward
left-side mouse button (think it's actuall called mouse button 4)
alt+left-side mouse button
ctrl+left-side mouse button

So imagine having all those combinations keyed to various spells, abilities, and useful stuff. Makes a lot of things SO much easier to activate during active movement combat especially.