PDA

View Full Version : I need help and information ... a lot of them ...

TheAdventurer
01-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Hey there !
I ( and i bet a lot more ppl ) am new in this game . i was looking forward to the free game of dnd . all this medieval-fairytail game is exelent , but i think a lil complicated too . I will ask for answers in questions about the game and any player who has questions , be free to post them too .

the classes are like world of warcraft ( once you choose one you will evolve this class only ) , are they like lineage ( from a point and on you can change the class by chosig asubclass ) , are they like 9 dragons( there are hybrid classes ) ??? how does the class system work ?

are there any jobs or professions you can use to produce things or services for you or other players ( like blacksmithing in world of warcraft : you can make weapons and armor )

are there ways to make more money ( like stands you can make and sell items or auction houses ) ?

there are serers in this game or there is one server only ?

are there any factions allied or enemy ? ( ex: in world of warcraft you choose alliance or horde and you fight the other side , in lineage you choose a guild and the other guilds are rival , exept if you choose to make a guild alliance )

how does the whole pvp thing works here in the game ? ( duels , just kill anyone when in some sort of warzone or arena )

are there battlegrounds or sieges ?

monsters are enccountered only in dungeons or while you travel arround the world you encounter some ?

is there a vast world to explore or there are towns with dungeons and players teleport from town to town ? ( exploring the wild is wonderfull you know ! )

is there a high level cap ?

i noticed that to make character slots you need to buy them with points . how do you get these points ? what items or abilities or utilities you can buy with these points ?

are there racial skills or every race is the same ? does a class gain extra beneits when combined with a race ?

i noticed that there are some races that need to be bought to be used . cn you give me some info bout them or the way they can be bought ?

are there any big bosses in the game ? like huge dragons ? ( i would LUV to slay one :) )

please , answer if you know and post your own questions if you have .

JustWinBaby
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I don't have the answer to every question, but I do have some answers:

Classes: You choose your first class at the beginning during character creation. You can then pick a 2nd class when you level up your toon. This is called cross-classing. You don't need to cross-class, but it's an option. I always just keep pure characters. My favorite toon so far is my level 8 Halfling Rogue. Everytime you level up (not use action points on enhancements, but actually level up) you can choose whatever class you'd like. Also, once you have multiple classes, you can then spend your action points on either class.

Professions: No professions. You can use the Eldritch devices to create items (can't explain that here, search for it here and you'll find it) but that's it.

Servers: There are around 7 servers I think. I only play on Ghallanda, and I know there is Argonessan (?) and I know there are several others I just don't know their names.

Factions: Nope. You can join a guild, but really, it's the toons vs the enemies.

PvP: You can challenge a single person or a party to a dual, or you can go to the arena in Taverns. I've never done this and hope to never do this lol but from what I've seen, it looks pretty cool.

Monster Encounters: You only encounter enemies inside of a quest or in an instance like Korthos Island, Waterworks, Cerulean Hills, Tangleroot Gorge, etc. When you're in the Stormreach Harbor or the Marketplace or other places like that, there will never be any enemies.

I'm level 8 and so far I don't think there is that much exploring. I mean I've been to all 4 Houses (J, K, P, and D), Necropolis, but all of those have been from the Marketplace. I would have to say either no, or I don't know, about the exploring.

The default level cap is 4. You can make the level cap higher buy either choosing a Leveling Sigil as one of your quest completion items (rare) or buying them from the DDO Store. Each sigil raises the cap by 4 levels. The highest level, period, is 20. Each leveling sigil is per toon, so if you make one of your toons' cap 20 and create a new one, that new one will be 4.

You buy character slots with DDO Store points. You need to put actual $ into the game in order to get more DDO Points.

Every race DOES have different things like real D&D. i.e. Halflings get a +2 (or +4) to AC due to being small and they get +1 on every skills.

There are Drow and Warforged races that are locked at the beginning. You can unlock Drow by getting 400 favor points (total) but Warforged can only be unlocked by buying it from the DDO Store.

There are bosses. They get bigger and harder as the game goes on. Like I said above, I'm only level 8, but I love the Redwillow's quest in House J - at the end you fight 12 Giants.

I hope this was helpful. Enjoy.

FoggyKnight
01-19-2010, 11:09 AM
Before you pick a class, read about them on the forums, that will help you decide some of things that you want...it may make no sense at first, but you can always go back and delete a toon you don't like.

Also, on Just's note, you can also choose to stay pure class, if you don't want to level up. Like he said, you can crossclass if you want to, but when you choose your action point enhancements, they are tiered, so you may need certain prerequisites to choose them.

Level cap is 20, the highest non-epic level you can get in the Dungeons and Dragons game. Most bosses after level 10 tend to be big (and you can slay your first dragon at level 8-10).

Kralgnax
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
Hello!

As mentioned, the level cap is 20, but it'll probably take a new player longer to get to 20 than to get to 80 in WoW. The big difference is ease of respeccing and need for advance planning - in WoW, you can't really permanently break a character. In DDO, it's easy.

PvP is very minimal. Tavern brawls & arena combat exist, but are limited and have no formal rankings or rewards of any kind - truly speaking you have no structural player enemies, just NPCs & monsters. There is no cognate of Alterac, Arathi or the like. If PvP-centric play is essential for you, DDO may not be a good choice.

zorander6
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
removed

Nuralanya
01-19-2010, 01:59 PM
When you're in the Stormreach Harbor or the Marketplace or other places like that, there will never be any enemies.

I beg to differ... Never say never. :)

There have been occasions when Turbine has run an event which results in some... interesting... encounters in taverns or public areas. For example, a couple of years ago Stormreach was invaded by devils - for quite some time, it was possible to be killed just for wandering in the Marketplace at an inopportune moment. These occasions are relatively rare, though, and for the most part people are safe in the public areas.

Or are they...?

;)

TheAdventurer
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
well , apart from some words that only dnd ( or other rpgs ) experienced gamers use , i kinda understood a big portion of the game and i think tat it is gonna be great cause of 1 reason : its one of a kind !

i hated wow and lineage . i olnly played cause there was nothing better back then and all my friends played that **** .

level cap 20 , huh ? surely it cant be as hard as reaching the 9dragons mmorpg level cap ( 180 i think they told me it was :P )

anywayz , thanks , but i still need to know stuff , but i discover too via playing .

Visty
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
level cap 20 , huh ? surely it cant be as hard as reaching the 9dragons mmorpg level cap ( 180 i think they told me it was :P )

if you need 1000xp to get a lvl and only get 0.2xp per quest, then even lvl20 can be hard to reach
(not saying its that way in ddo, just saying that even if 20 doesnt sound much, each lvl has 4 sub-lvls so in total we have 80 other-game-lvls)

JustWinBaby
01-19-2010, 04:35 PM
In PnP D&D, you get level 2 at 1000xp, level 3 at 3000 xp, and so on. In DDO, 1000 xp will make you Level 1 Rank 2. 3000 xp will make you level 1 Rank 3. You need like 10k xp (I think) to become level 2. Thus, level 20 will be hard to reach.

Lets put it this way - I have 126 hours of this game played (via XFire) and I have 1 level 8 Rogue with 1 rank gained, and a level 4, 3 ranks, Cleric.

Kralgnax
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
well , apart from some words that only dnd ( or other rpgs ) experienced gamers use , i kinda understood a big portion of the game and i think tat it is gonna be great cause of 1 reason : its one of a kind !

i hated wow and lineage . i olnly played cause there was nothing better back then and all my friends played that **** .

anywayz , thanks , but i still need to know stuff , but i discover too via playing .

But our volume dial goes up to 11.

Verimont
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
But our volume dial goes up to 11.

Hello Cleveland!

Orry
01-19-2010, 09:26 PM

Technically I could design a game with a level cap of 2 that took several years of play-time to reach. See Guild Wars has a level 20 cap and it takes a day or so, DDO I am still only level 5, albiet I don't play an excessive ammount.

DasLurch
01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Hey there !
I ( and i bet a lot more ppl ) am new in this game . i was looking forward to the free game of dnd . all this medieval-fairytail game is exelent , but i think a lil complicated too . I will ask for answers in questions about the game and any player who has questions , be free to post them too .

the classes are like world of warcraft ( once you choose one you will evolve this class only ) , are they like lineage ( from a point and on you can change the class by chosig asubclass ) , are they like 9 dragons( there are hybrid classes ) ??? how does the class system work ? The classes are you rather standard DnD classes with one big exception still missing (no Druids yet). There are generally 2 "types" of play classes. Caster classes (Wizard, Sorcerer, Cleric, Bard, Favored Soul) and combat classes (Fighter, Barbarian, Ranger, Paladin, and Rogue). You can be very creative from there. Multiclassing is fairly easy ( any Character can have 3 types of classes in it's makeup if you choose to do this), and you can make a spell caster that is very good in melee combat situations as well. There is no real cookie cutter build here, where only a tank can hold aggro, or only a cleric can heal. It's rather flexible in that way.

are there any jobs or professions you can use to produce things or services for you or other players ( like blacksmithing in world of warcraft : you can make weapons and armor ) There are no Jobs in DDO. You make your $ by questing and selling off your loot. Most anything in the game that does not bind to your character can be found for purchase or trade at some point.

are there ways to make more money ( like stands you can make and sell items or auction houses ) ? see above

there are serers in this game or there is one server only ? There are several servers in this game. Each server is identical to all of the others. They all have the same areas, quests, and loot sprinkled in throught your time exploring. The only difference is the people that play on them.

are there any factions allied or enemy ? ( ex: in world of warcraft you choose alliance or horde and you fight the other side , in lineage you choose a guild and the other guilds are rival , exept if you choose to make a guild alliance ) Nope, it's you vs. all of the Mobs that you can find.

how does the whole pvp thing works here in the game ? ( duels , just kill anyone when in some sort of warzone or arena ) PvP is a very VERY small part of the game (thankfully IMO). What it is used for is mostly playtesting loots and spells, or wasting time with some friends. You need not fear a gank-fest here. Finding a cleric is normally easier than finding a PvP match.

are there battlegrounds or sieges ? There are some outdoor slayer/explorer zones, but they are all instanced. You will not find your group sharing an instance with another group. So they are not what you are thinking of in terms of battleground areas.

monsters are enccountered only in dungeons or while you travel arround the world you encounter some ? Generally the only places you will find Mobs to fight are inside the dungeons/quests you enter.

is there a vast world to explore or there are towns with dungeons and players teleport from town to town ? ( exploring the wild is wonderfull you know ! ) Not so much in the way that you are thinking. Imagine being in a city that has several different "neighborhoods". Inside these Neighborhoods you will find quests that will improve your standing for that area, as well as some shops, trainers, etc, etc, etc...
There are also several other zones that exist outside of the city proper that you can find adventures in as well. Many of these areas will have a large Explorer/Slayer zone attached to it. Travel is not a problem here as the Dev's want you playing the game rather than running from one place to another. Normal time running between areas is anywhere from 30 seconds to maybe 4-5 minutes depending on where you are.

is there a high level cap ? This can be a tad bit confusing. The level cap is 20. That said there are 4 ranks within each level (you do get some bonuses for attaining these as well), so it's more like there are actually 100. It is relatively easy to reach level 3 in a few hours, but the XP needed to level gets to be exponetially more as you level up. It's not hard or impossible to level at any point, so no real worry about that either.

i noticed that to make character slots you need to buy them with points . how do you get these points ? what items or abilities or utilities you can buy with these points ?
The number of slots you have depends on how you are subscribing. They can be "bought", earned through adventuring, or recieved as a paying monthly subscriber.

are there racial skills or every race is the same ? does a class gain extra beneits when combined with a race ? Each race has their own strengths and weaknesses. All races are availible and viable for any class. There is no true "uber" race.

i noticed that there are some races that need to be bought to be used . cn you give me some info bout them or the way they can be bought ? The races you mention are Drow and Warforged. Drow can be earned by playing through the game (fairly easy to do) or for purchase through the in game store. Warforged (WF for short) are availible to VIP subs and for sale through the in game store. As for what info you might need/want, I'd direct you to the Wiki or the compendium at the top of the page.

are there any big bosses in the game ? like huge dragons ? ( i would LUV to slay one :) ) There are many "big bosses" in the game. The game uses colors to code what level enemy these would be. The big ones are always "red named". These pop up at the end of most quests. They are much tougher than the regular Mobs you would contend with in the rest of the dungeon. Most of the ones that you seem to be refering to are what many would term "Raid Bosses". They are all "purple named". Of those there are Demons, Giants, Liches, Devils, and dragons too.

please , answer if you know and post your own questions if you have .

Answers in BOLD. Hope that they help!

MrkGrismer
01-20-2010, 09:51 AM

I didn't see anyone else mention this so I will. If you have a free to play account you have 2 slots per sever, but if you spend any real money on turbine points you will be converted to a premium account with 4 slots per server, those that subscribe have VIP accounts which gives them 10 slots per server. Additional slots can be bought with turbine points; which you can either buy with real money (making you a premium account) or earn in-game thru the favor system.