PDA

View Full Version : LFM Lingo - understand the group you are joining

Gnorbert
01-18-2010, 12:43 PM
Hi All,

Just wanted to compile a grouping of common LFM terms used and a longer explanation about the full meaning to avoid confusion when joining a group. Reply with others that you use and I'll add them to the main post. I'm sure this has been done many times but I was annoyed this weekend so here's a refresher.

P2P/VIP/F2P - seeing one of these denotes that the quest is either a "Pay to Play" (P2P or VIP) quest or available for free (F2P). If you have not bought the adventure package for the quest and are not a paying subscriber then an LFM with P2P/VIP is not for you.

Zerg - Zerging is a playstyle aimed at doing the quest as fast as possible. Usually some monsters will not be killed along the way meaning that the corridors will not be safe behind the group if you fall behind. Most optionals are skipped in favor of speed but some may be convenient or valuable enough to justify the extra time to complete them (such as delera's part 2). If you want to play a bit slower, work on teamwork or are experiencing the quest for the first time.... then a zerg group may not be the best fit for you.

Crawl / Slow - The opposite of Zerg, This group wants to embrace the true spirit of a classic "Dungeon crawl". They want to explore each room, find the optionals, search for treasure and generally see all there is to see. They will stop and allow the rogue to do his thing, they will use classic party roles like having a stealthy character scouting ahead to see if it's safe. This is often in conjunction with the "Teamwork" / "Group play" key words.

n/h/e - stands for Normal/Hard/Elite The group plans to do all difficulty settings of the quests. This can be for one of two reasons...
1. we are doing each difficulty to get the exp bonus for first time completion at each setting.
2. We are going through norm and hard to get to elite for favor.
...or a combination of both. If it's purely the second case then it will be beneficial to the group that you announce that you can open the quest on elite. Either way, the leader will see the available settings when they open the quest so just leave the choosing to the leader. Unless instructed, you should let the group leader open the quest to the difficulty they planned to do.

"Know the Way" - or some variation of the phrase. This means that the group leader expects everyone to know how to get to the quest and, usually, the layout of the quest itself. Jumping into this group and asking "share please, where is the quest?" will be frowned upon and possibly get you booted from the group.

IP - "In Progress" - The group has started the quest already. If you are worried about late entry penalty for a high exp quest then you better ask how far along they are before joining. You also better know how to get to the quest because the group will not be able to "show" you the way. In most cases the group does not NEED you to complete the quest, or else they would have waited before starting.

"be experienced" / "Know what you are doing" - You are expected to have done the quest before and be aware of the role you need to play in the group. Some people consider "experienced" to mean more than simply having run the quest before so look out for that. If having run the quest before is not good enough for the group leader, if they want you to have been in game for more than a certain amount of time, then it may be best for you to avoid this group.

"Be flagged" - raid quests typically have a set of requirements that you must satisfy in order to zone into the quest. Usually this consists of a set of preliminary quests that you have to run first in order to "flag" yourself for the raid. If you see one of these and have not run the flagging quests.... or don't know what the quests are... then this is not a group for you. Send a polite message to the raid leader to confirm the flagging requirements if you think you meet them but just want to double check. Most people don't mind confirming in general terms what you need to have completed in order to join. DO NOT ask for a detailed explanation about how to flag... this person is trying to put together a raid group and possibly has up to 10 other people waiting for him. If you need more information than a simple confirmation of a required quest name or something... then take your question to the forums (do a search first, I guarantee the question has already been answered on the forums somewhere)

"Flagging for <raid>" / "Flagging run" - This group is running quests in order to flag for a raid. Typically they say which raid they are flagging for but if you think you need the flagging and aren't sure... ask first. Asking up front will let you know if there are any parts that were already done that you need to have completed first. These flagging runs are typically done on Normal difficulty as the group is only looking for a quick completion, not specifically loot, Exp or favor.

"Team work"/"Group play" - This means the group is looking to play together. If you are a lone wolf style player who runs off on their own to try and solo the quest or get the most kills then you are not what this group is looking for. These groups typically move a little slower than a Zerg group but don't confuse "teamwork" with "slow play". People playing well as a team might still move quite quickly. These groups will however be much more patient and often are a good place for people newer to the quest to learn in a friendly atmosphere.

"Be self sufficient" / "Heal yourself" / BYOH - Simply, Bring Your Own Healing. These are generally groups that are running multiple quests and have people coming in and out of the group. Since they don't know what the make up of the party is at any given time they ask for anyone joining to be able to take care of themselves. If you join this party and have no potions/wands and can't heal yourself from spells then you will quickly find yourself left for dead halfway through a dungeon somewhere. If you hover over the LFM to see the people in the group currently and see a cleric/FvS/Bard DO NOT assume that the "heal yourself" condition is lifted. Having a class that can heal in the group does not absolve you of any responsibility for taking care of yourself.

"Favor Only" / "Favor Run" - This group is generally not concerned with experience, they will often be running quests far below their level in order to get the favor that they missed along the way while leveling. Sometimes they are running at appropriate levels but that is rare and you should make sure that you are ok with not getting exp before you join these groups. These groups will often be looking for an "opener", someone that can open the quest on elite (or at least hard) so that they can get the favor in the most efficient way. The goal of this group is to complete the chosen quest(s) on Elite difficulty.

"Farming" - This group is focused on obtaining something specific whether it be Experience, Loot, collectibles or ingredients, they will be optimizing their play towards that goal of obtaining those things. A common example would be "Taps farming" where the group runs around the Orchard of the Macabre explorer area in Necropolis in order to find the rare encounters, whose chests contain "Shred of Tapestry" (20 of which gets you a nice piece of headgear). These groups are after one thing, so if you too are trying to get what they want... then join up. If they are running in an area that you also wish to run but you have different goals, then make sure that your goals are not counter productive to the group goals.

RP - This group wants to Role Play their characters. If you are not into role playing then don't join this group. They are after a specific gaming experience so make sure that's what you are also after before hitting Join. These groups have rules about communication and staying in character. Make sure you understand how the group is flagging their OOC (out of character) chat and whether voice chat is in or out of character.

"No completion" / "DD" / "DDoor" - Used when farming chests for trash loot or named items or whatever but without finishing the quest. To let people know that they don't have to worry about having a 0 xp quest completion because there is a lvl 20 in a group for a lvl 8 quest. This is most often done when the run is for a quest which is late in a series of quests that must be run in order or if there is a lock out timer that would prevent running the quest again, such as a raid. Running the quest without completing it means that you can exit, reform and re-enter the quest again without having to do the preceding parts in the chain or wait three days. The "DDoor" notation is added to specify that a Dimension Door will be provided prior to finishing the quest to accommodate those that want to leave before completion in case of a mixed group of people wanting and not wanting completion. Common examples include Shroud ingredient farming and Ring of feathers in the last part of STK.

S/R/E - Slayers/Rares/Explorers, used when running wilderness areas.

"YLYC" / "Leader Loot" - and other variations about loot. "YLYC" = "Your Loot, Your Choice". These are about the distribution of loot in raids. Raid end chests have a chance to drop special named loot which is bound to character once looted. While it is intuitive to think that if it appears for you then it is your loot to take... some raids have rules around this loot. YLYC describes that if the loot shows up for you it's your choice what to do with it... either you loot it yourself, give it to someone else or put it up for random roll to see who gets it. Leader loot would require all named loot to be assigned over to the raid leader who will then handle it's distribution. Any loot system is an honor system as it requires the individual player to abide by the rule that was set by the leader. If you don't like the rule about loot distribution then you have the choice to simply not go on the raid.

"audio on" / "Use voice" - The group is using voice chat and wants you to also use voice chat OR to, at the very least, have your sound turned up so you can hear the others when they speak. If you don't have a mic, that's fine, but you should at least be able to listen to instructions given by the group leader. If the group is also an RP group they will typically have rules about whether voice chat needs to stay in character or not.

"Funny hats only" - your hat better be funny.... srsly.

Common Loot run abbreviations

Ingredients - The chests in the first 4 parts of the Shroud are farmed for greensteel crafting ingredients. Often these are "no completion" runs so that the group can do it several times in a row and not have to wait the 2day18hour timer after completion.
Icy runs - Runs through the Subterrane to get the "Icy Raiments"
Taps farming - Farming Shred of Tapestry from the Orchard of the Macabre wilderness zone
FF ring runs - Runs through Shan-to-Kor part 3 for the Ring of Feathers from the end chest. Usually this is a "no completion" type farming so you don't have to rerun parts 1 and 2 each time.

Ok, that's what I have off the top of my head. This started from people ignoring a few of these when joining groups I was in this weekend and I figured I should add some more to make it more useful (and not so much a rant :) )

Mjoll
01-18-2010, 01:52 PM
No completion - Used when farming chests for trash loot or named items or whatever but without finishing the quest. To let people know that they don't have to worry about having a 0 xp quest completion because there is a lvl 20 in a group for a lvl 8 quest.

S/R/E - Slayers/Explorers/Rares, used when running wilderness areas.

Crucible norm for flagging... in progress... I trapped myself in the maze. Help? - Self explanatory. True story :)

dj.kickz
01-18-2010, 01:55 PM
"Funny hats only" - your hat better be funny.

Gnorbert
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
No completion - Used when farming chests for trash loot or named items or whatever but without finishing the quest. To let people know that they don't have to worry about having a 0 xp quest completion because there is a lvl 20 in a group for a lvl 8 quest.

S/R/E - Slayers/Explorers/Rares, used when running wilderness areas.

added these

Crucible norm for flagging... in progress... I trapped myself in the maze. Help? - Self explanatory. True story :)

LOL "HELP! I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am"

Calebro
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
Nicely done.
I'd add BYOH to the Heal Yourself portion.

Gnorbert
01-18-2010, 02:35 PM
Nicely done.
I'd add BYOH to the Heal Yourself portion.

Ah yes... good call. Added.

Phidius
01-18-2010, 02:40 PM
Nice post!

Not as common, but I occasionally put "YLYC" in the LFM for the Titan... Your Loot Your Choice. I've also seen other LFMs for the Abbot that say "Leader Loot".

DANTEIL
01-18-2010, 02:44 PM
I recently posted here asking what "Icy runs" meant in an LFM. This refers to runs through the Subterraene to go after the Icy Raiments.

Gnorbert
01-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Nice post!

Not as common, but I occasionally put "YLYC" in the LFM for the Titan... Your Loot Your Choice. I've also seen other LFMs for the Abbot that say "Leader Loot".

Added a loot distibution oriented one. Good suggestion.

I recently posted here asking what "Icy runs" meant in an LFM. This refers to runs through the Subterraene to go after the Icy Raiments.

Good call, I added a "common loot runs abbreviations" section. I just added a couple but everyone feel free to suggest any loot run LFMs that sometimes need explaining.

UnderwearModel
01-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Why do people even turn on their MICS when 95% of the PUGs never, ever use them.

I am saying this in jest because most groups I PUG in never use the MICS unless I am running a HIGH level raid.

I will speak and say something, then they type, "what?" as they set off the trap, draw out the monsters, fall, etc.

Or another one, TURN OFF ALL SOURCES of SOUNDS in your room.

I like when they type back, "Sorry I had my stereo up loud."

I dread running anything in the houses or the harbor(HIPS or INVADERS). Marketplace quests(not RAIDS) can all be soloed. Invaders can be soloed but on Cannith I am not quite there yet. But darn close.

Sorry, I do not mean to hijack thread.

The sad thing, the 100% of the people that should be reading this and following it will not.

Gnorbert
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
The sad thing, the 100% of the people that should be reading this and following it will not.

I thought this while I was writing them, that the people I want to see this don't come to the forums. However, DANTEIL above is a good example of who this will help. The people who want to learn, who come to the forums seeking knowledge. So if it helps answer a few questions for people new and old then it has served a purpose.

As for the voice... I constantly have problems being heard over voice. In all other programs such as Ventrilo, Teamspeak, Skype... there is much more developed sound options that allow greater gain on the mic to be turned up. I have no problems being heard in any other program, only in DDO am I sometimes too soft to hear. So sometimes I am too frustrated by it to even try voice anymore. I agree with you... I much prefer voice, and always have it turned up so I can hear it.... but sometimes the frustrations with the codecs in DDO prevent me from trying to be heard.

Kahath
01-19-2010, 12:49 AM
More cryptic one:

"Know what you are doing." - This is a mostly a combination of: BYOH, "Must know way" and be prepared to do your role in the group.

voidholder
01-19-2010, 02:17 AM
Are Crawl / Slow too self-explanatory to be included? In any case, these mean that jumping over traps or running ahead of the group is not wanted. Also often means that all possible optionals will be done and some strategy discussed before main fights.

Gnorbert
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Are Crawl / Slow too self-explanatory to be included? In any case, these mean that jumping over traps or running ahead of the group is not wanted. Also often means that all possible optionals will be done and some strategy discussed before main fights.

Might be obvious to anyone who played PnP but the newer generation may not be familiar with the meaning of a "Dungeon Crawl". I put it up there.

Fratricide
01-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Its obvious that many people don't understand what group requests of "Experienced PPL ONLY!" really means.

Sadly about 25% of random people who request to join my groups understand this one... please clarify for the general public. :)

~Blades / Roboto

Gnorbert
01-19-2010, 11:08 AM
Its obvious that many people don't understand what group requests of "Experienced PPL ONLY!" really means.

Sadly about 25% of random people who request to join my groups understand this one... please clarify for the general public. :)

~Blades / Roboto

Well, I'll add it with the definition of "must have done this quest before". however, there are a lot of people that use this phrase in a further context to mean anything from "Must not be a new player" to "Must have been playing this game since close to launch".

So, defining what an individual considers "experienced" is impossible to do beyond "must have done this quest before".

Raelys
01-19-2010, 12:28 PM
How about "have audio on"? I don't know how self explanitory it is, but it basically means that you need to be able to hear voice chat (or complain that people are too low), but don't need to have a mic. I've been putting this into my lfms mostly to minimize the number of people that tell you that they have sound off only AFTER they do the exact thing people repeatedly said not to do on voice chat.

Oh, and while it's unlikely that anyone this applies to would be reading my post, this implies actually being able to understand voice chat too.

der_kluge
01-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Another one that I see occasionally are groups for Brazilians or French-speaking people only.

Calebro
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Another one that I see occasionally are groups for Brazilians or French-speaking people only.
This is focused in explaining what the different terms mean if that meaning may not be clear to any newbs that haven't encountered them.
Having "French Speaking" or "Must have Mic" or something similar in the LFM is pointedly self-explanatory.

ArichValtrahn
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Id suggest adding "n/h/e" for people who want to repeat a quest on normal, hard and then elite modes. I was in an n/h/e group and someone opened the quest on elite to start with and the leader flipped out on him.

Gnorbert
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Id suggest adding "n/h/e" for people who want to repeat a quest on normal, hard and then elite modes. I was in an n/h/e group and someone opened the quest on elite to start with and the leader flipped out on him.

Problem here is that it can mean two things.

1. we are doing each difficulty to get the exp bonus for first time completion at each setting.

or

or a combination of both. If it's purely the second case then it will be beneficial to the group that you announce that you can open the quest on elite. Either way, the leader will see the available settings when they open the quest so just leave the choosing to the leader.

Well... I'll add this to the list.

dj.kickz
01-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Problem here is that it can mean two things.

or

or a combination of both. If it's purely the second case then it will be beneficial to the group that you announce that you can open the quest on elite. Either way, the leader will see the available settings when they open the quest so just leave the choosing to the leader.

Well... I'll add this to the list.

in all the time ive been playing ive never seen it mean the second.

Braegan
01-19-2010, 11:03 PM
"Funny hats only" - your hat better be funny.

You think he's kidding? I got booted from one of Dizzy's groups because I didn't have a funny hat :(

:D Sup Dizzy!

/derail off

Gnorbert
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
You think he's kidding? I got booted from one of Dizzy's groups because I didn't have a funny hat :(

:D Sup Dizzy!

/derail off

Well... in that case I better add it :D

Peo
02-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Healer Needed or Rogue Needed.
Does not mean you, the barbarian, needs to send a pesky invite. Healer falls to a favored soul or cleric whom have chosen to enhance their healing spells. Rogue really tends to be a trap disabler, some wizards with a dip into rogue qualify.

Some people have no idea what the quest picker does or the class picker and will list the quest they plan to do or class desired. I'd personally PM telling them to list their p2p quest properly to avoid f2p people from joining and having to quit. My advice isn't for the guy looking for the party to google the quest the comment talks about, but for the party leader (PL) to learn how to use the group system correctly. It takes mere seconds to learn.

Gnorbert
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Healer Needed or Rogue Needed.
Does not mean you, the barbarian, needs to send a pesky invite. Healer falls to a favored soul or cleric whom have chosen to enhance their healing spells. Rogue really tends to be a trap disabler, some wizards with a dip into rogue qualify.

I'm not going to list these painfully obvious ones simply because the people who don't understand them or ignore them... are not here reading a guide on LFMs. If someone can't understand "rogue needed" then there's nothing I can do to help them.

Though I have to contend that "healer" should not exclude bards, at least not at low and mid levels.

FauxSho
03-25-2010, 02:04 PM
"Funny hats only" - your hat better be funny.... srsly.

http://www.hoyso.com/props/don/animations/agSillyHatsOnly2.gif

dj.kickz
03-26-2010, 12:46 AM
http://www.hoyso.com/props/don/animations/agSillyHatsOnly2.gif

qft

Kaldais
03-26-2010, 08:35 AM
might want to add

IP = In progress, quest has started.

Gnorbert
03-26-2010, 09:41 AM
might want to add

IP = In progress, quest has started.

Good call, a lot of people don't understand that if the quest is in progress already then they will not be able to show you the way to the quest.

PopeJual
04-07-2010, 01:04 PM

"Experienced PPL ONLY!" means that the other people in the quest will probably be experienced, so I should get in that group if I don't know the quest at all. After all, they're experienced and can finish the quest even with me in there dragging the party down. :)

I never put "know the quest" or "experienced" or "vets" or anything like that in my LFMs because it seems to actively attract people who don't know the quest even a tiny little bit and who are just plain morons in general.

GreenGurgler
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
LOL "HELP! I'm somewhere where I don't know where I am"

Do you see towels? If you see towels, you're probably in the linen closet again.
;)

Gnorbert
04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
"Experienced PPL ONLY!" means that the other people in the quest will probably be experienced, so I should get in that group if I don't know the quest at all. After all, they're experienced and can finish the quest even with me in there dragging the party down. :)

Well... if that's the case they should at least not advertise their ignorance by asking "what house is this in again?" or "Share please?".

If they are capable of following the leader and learning quickly then they are not the kind of players people are trying to avoid in the first place :)

bokaboka
06-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Hello there,
1) I use "off-sequence" a lot when peeps drop in the middle of Sorrowdusk or whatever.

Off-Sequence (or mid-sequence): You will not get an end reward, but you will get xp, loot, and favor. You will also be entering with "Wrong Chapter" messages, so don't bother asking for a share.

2) I use "know the way there" for in progress runs with big wilderness areas like 3BC.

Know the Way There: Not necessarily a zerg or vet-only run, but you will not have a guide to the entrance.

phayth
06-28-2010, 10:37 AM
BACON is the pinnacle LFM call sign, everything else is ****

phayth
06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
everyone loves bacon
bacon guarantees completion because the people in it bring home the bacon

cannith trademarked, please dont imitate

Varr
06-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Man I wish even half the people that joined read the lmf peramiters. Lol, I swear I just laugh to myself some times.

It's something to see #3-6 join and ask what house, how to get there in a row. Gives me alot of confidence that they paid attention to the other primary requirement of my LCMs

varrs Zerg: know your way, heal thy self, all welcome.

Maybe people only read the end.....hum...