PDA

View Full Version : Incoming messages in Guild Channel to make an optional ding sound

SirAggravator
01-18-2010, 05:26 AM
When a message is received in party chat or as a tell we get an audible 'ding'.
It's useful for notifying me to look at the chat box - particularly when your focus is diverted during combat.

I'd also like if we can do the same for the guild channel as an optional UI setting (as some may not want it). Perhaps the sound can be different like a 'dong' rather than a 'ding' :D
This means I'm less likely to miss a guildie message and give the impression I'm ignoring them :)

Like a lot of people I tend to keep one chat window open for all channels - with lots of tabs.

Lleren
01-18-2010, 05:50 AM
You can go to your party chat tab, right click on it to get to the "chat options" tab, and go down to "Set incoming text types" and add tell and guildchat to that tab. You can also use this to remove loot and other messages from that tab.

The rest I'm afraid is something that takes a bit of practice to pull off. Widen your visual focus a bit and the movement of chat text will "catch your eye" most of the time anyway =D

Kreaper
01-18-2010, 05:59 AM
So, you have a ding and want a dong... Hmmm... :D

You know, chatting while in combat is like texting while driving. You might be handling it ok right now, but eventually it will get you killed.

:p

Lleren
01-18-2010, 06:01 AM
Bah I just read if afterwards in most cases, but I know its there to read =p

SirAggravator
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
So, you have a ding and want a dong... Hmmm... :D

hehe ok maybe we go for a less dubious sound like "bong" :)

You know, chatting while in combat is like texting while driving. You might be handling it ok right now, but eventually it will get you killed.

:p
this is true but it was more post-fight messages I missed. With all the DM text and NPC dialogues scrolling around
my chat box. With the sound effect I've a better chance to remember to check the chat when I'm free.

@Lleren that wasn't what I was asking for it's about the lack of sound effect being played for guild messages. I already have my party/guild/tells all in the same tab page.

Rasczak
01-18-2010, 07:20 AM
When a message is received in party chat or as a tell we get an audible 'ding'.
It's useful for notifying me to look at the chat box - particularly when your focus is diverted during combat.

I'd also like if we can do the same for the guild channel as an optional UI setting (as some may not want it). Perhaps the sound can be different like a 'dong' rather than a 'ding' :D
This means I'm less likely to miss a guildie message and give the impression I'm ignoring them :)

Like a lot of people I tend to keep one chat window open for all channels - with lots of tabs.

But noone in my guild has anything worth it to say that would justify me dying because I glanced up from combat to chat to find out why I donged o.O

Yes Aggy you to :D

But I've solved the issue by the cunning use of chat window undocking and set it to only show blue text ;)

SirAggravator
01-19-2010, 04:49 AM
But I've solved the issue by the cunning use of chat window undocking and set it to only show blue text ;)
Hey Raz, Is that the transparent undocked chat window which disapears after about 10 seconds? I tried this and I tend to forget to open this window again :/

Rasczak
01-19-2010, 06:53 AM
Hey Raz, Is that the transparent undocked chat window which disapears after about 10 seconds? I tried this and I tend to forget to open this window again :/

I normally just undock the guild chat (right-click on guild chat channel name, click undock), drag it up above my health/sp bar and resize the window to show 5-8 lines...it sits open always on the left hand side (at the bottom) of my screen above party so it's out of the way of anything and at a quick glance I can see if anyone in guild is chatting.

The dings from tells and party chat are enough for me not to have to do something special with each channel ;)

Then if I want to be complicated I set my userchats on the undocked guild window and party, GM, tells etc on party window. The orange and blue clash well enough for me to tell who's asking what in which channel ;)

Thwap me online tonight if you don't get it

SirAggravator
01-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Ahh I understand but my screen is already filled with UI I want to avoid yet another chat window open. You probably have a decent screen resolution unlike me :)

Rasczak
01-19-2010, 07:29 AM
Ahh I understand but my screen is already filled with UI I want to avoid yet another chat window open. You probably have a decent screen resolution unlike me :)

lol if you 800 x 600 then you need to upgrade that pc...steal one from work :p

But if you look where your chat window is....then life/sp bar...you should be able to fit something else just above it so you don't interfere with party people names. Even if just 4 lines or so ;)

I just find having guild chat seperate makes life so much easier..I can see guild chat at a glance as well as keeping party chat available.
Disabling all the flavour text, GM text etc so you only have tells and party chat on original chat window makes things a bit neater as well...or just make a new tab on that original window that you only allow incoming text that is tells and party and switch to that one while in a group to avoid distraction.

Lagin
01-19-2010, 07:38 AM
I use 1 chat tab only.
I eliminate all the general, trade, advice, npc, loot, dice rolls, etc...
I have guild, party, say, and the "alliance" channel all on the one tab.
As for the ding, while in combat, I ignore it.