PDA

View Full Version : Potency and spelltype specific mods

Lirial
01-17-2010, 10:30 PM
Do these items stack at all? such as

A superior potency item that increases dmg for all your such and such level spells and lower and an item that grants increase to one specific type as in Greater combustion Iv for example

So if i used a superior potency item and a greater combustion item would that be beneficial or no?

Visty
01-18-2010, 01:19 AM
doesnt stack, use potency

Bronko
01-18-2010, 07:39 PM
Do these items stack at all? such as

A superior potency item that increases dmg for all your such and such level spells and lower and an item that grants increase to one specific type as in Greater combustion Iv for example

So if i used a superior potency item and a greater combustion item would that be beneficial or no?

What you are referring to is the effects of stacking. Stacking occurs in DDO:EU when two or more things are trying to boost the same spell or effect. As a general rule the effects from items do not stack in this game. When two or more items have an attribute that would boost a spell then only the higher bonus takes effect.

In your example you are comparing Superior Potency (+40% to spell damage) to Greater Combustion (+30% to spell damage). If we assume you are casting a fire-based spell, such as Fireball, where both items by themselves can boost its output then the Superior Potency item wins since it's effect is the highest of the two.

Keep in mind that bonuses from different sources do stack. This means that items stack with enhancements giving you a bigger bang on the damage from your spells if you have both.

CountHenri
01-19-2010, 07:04 AM
So if I have a Mage with suitable 40% Combustion booster in one hand and a 9% fire Crit booster in the other AND have same class enhancements to both fire damage and crit what stacks when I cast a Fireball or Firewall?

Also if I have a Bard with Life Magic to boost Healing 20% and use a Devotion item does that stack?

Kriogen
01-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Enhancement and item (scepter, ring, etc) stack. So "Life Magic" and devotion item stacks. It's actually how you get good damage/heal numbers with spells in this game. It's allmost a "must have".

In DDO things that come from different "source" stack. If its from the same "source", then not.

Enhancement (that thing you get for your Action Points) and item stack. Enhancements (AP thing) is usually "untyped" source, item is usually "enchantement", so it stacks.

It's a bit of a mess, but usually I check what kind of "type" it is. Things like enchancement, moral, sacred, insight, etc ...

CountHenri
01-19-2010, 07:35 AM
So with my Fire Mage example for a fire spell it would be :

100%+40%+40%= 180% Damage base with an 18% chance for 1.5x crit? Or did the Devs go nuts and its a 3x crit?

Crann
01-19-2010, 08:01 AM
So if I have a Mage with suitable 40% Combustion booster in one hand and a 9% fire Crit booster in the other AND have same class enhancements to both fire damage and crit what stacks when I cast a Fireball or Firewall?

Also if I have a Bard with Life Magic to boost Healing 20% and use a Devotion item does that stack?

As a rule, Item effects stack with enhancement effects, but not with other item effects.

Item effects stack with other item effects, if they are different effects. In your example, one item boosts your damage %, the other boosts your crit %. These are 2 different effects, thus they work together, creating high amounts of damage.

These item effects stack with the enhancement effects that boost your damage % and your crit % as well. With your enhancement giving you 9% crit chance, and your item giving you 9% crit chance, your applicable spells now have an 18% crit chance. That same logic also applies to healing magics, and their related enhancements and items effects.