PDA

View Full Version : Couple Dungeon Design Suggestions

Samadhi
01-17-2010, 01:14 PM
Less Mobs; More Named
Personally, when doing dungeon design I would like to see more quests go the route of having less mobs, but tougher mobs. Instead of having to kill 200 mobs to reach the end, how about only 50, with eight of those being orange named. It seems like the current strategy of dungeons generally considered to be tougher is just based on a war of attrition. Endless and repetitive fights of more and more trash meant to either overwhelm or slowly wear down mana supplies. It gets monotonous/boring.

I specifically list orange named over red because I am not a fan of blanket immunities - but it should be easy enough to give some orange named some real OFFENSIVE abilities. Most of the mobs we fight are defensive all stars in terms of godlike HP but lack any real scariness in offensive ability.
Caveat: Although I am not a fan of blanket immunities, it is not unreasonable for these mobs to cast DW on themselves to avoid a vorpal/energydrain. Considering that these clickies are available to 5th level characters, this seems plenty reasonable to balance the encounter so it isn't too easy.

Keep Melee Strategy Relevant
This is primarily directed towards the insane amount of teleporting/phasing/etc. mobs currently in the game; both in Shavarath endgame and in the newer Inspired quests, the idea of using the position of your melees (flanking vs tanking) has largely just been replaced by "swing wildly and don't stop" since there is no way to ever know where the mobs are going to appear next. This makes playing a melee considerably duller IMO.

More Opportunities for Stealth to Shine
Always suggested by some folks, but it doesn't hurt to keep shouting it :D

Samadhi
01-18-2010, 10:31 AM
/bump during primetime

Rhinala
01-18-2010, 10:54 AM
I like what you suggested, it will keep the game a lot more interesting.

Borror0
01-18-2010, 11:22 AM
/bump during primetime
I find that quest design-related suggestions don't get much comments. My last thread on Complexity and Quest Design (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=223720) barely got four replies, one which is me.

I specifically list orange named over red because I am not a fan of blanket immunities
Another way to deal with the problem of immunities would be to allow some effects to take place on the red named mobs but not the full effect. For example, Fear might not fear the named but it could at least hit it with shaken.