PDA

View Full Version : Would a Bard Paladin viable?

Doganpc
01-16-2010, 03:42 PM
I've done a search and this potential for builds seems to have slipped by. At a glance (otherwise known as, looking at all the information I have available to me when not playing the game) you would think the synergy of the two through Charisma would make for an interesting build. Take the Paladin to level 6 to get Vulkoor/Undying/Soveriegnty, Immunity to Fear/Disease, add Charisma bonus to saves, divine sacrafice and auras to bump AC/Saves/Concentration. Just 3 levels of Paladin gives the Immunity, Charisma bonus, and auras. While you could take 14 levels of Bard, I don't see a big difference between 15 and 16 in terms of spell casting and you could even drop that to 14 which still gets you a 5th level spell and Inspire Courage +2 (think that makes it a +3 not counting enhancements). Then, with UMD as a class skill you have your pick of tools (wands, scrolls, weapons, armor, trinkets).

So i'm guessing the sweet spot would be 14 Bard, 3 Paladin, 3 of your choice (Bard/Paladin/Monk/Fighter/Rogue). Providing Aura/Song and crowd control along the perimeter and/or between the melee & arcane/ranged. Go with 2 levels of Rogue/Monk and get Evasion to go along with your CHA buffed saves and it seems like you could wade through combat at will. Choose the feats right and there is a limited ability to adapt your prestige enhancements to fit the party you're rolling with.

Dogan
Burned by the flame.

Visty
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
no
paladin needs to be lawful good, bards anything but lawful

thats why you dont find those splits

try a monk/barbarian instead, fisting with rage is just uber

Rusty_Can
01-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Viable? Nop. Not even possible.

Paladins need to be Lawful Good; bards any non-lawful alignment: i.e. you cannot mix bard with paladin.

Robi3.0
01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
no
paladin needs to be lawful good, bards anything but lawful

thats why you dont find those splits

try a monk/barbarian instead, fisting with rage is just uber

I hope that this is a joke, cause monks need to be lawful and Barbarians need to be anything but lawful.

Doganpc
01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
well there ya go, one simple oversight of a small piece of character building that seemingly has no effect on the game other than gear bonuses torpedoes something I thought about for a couple hours. Thanks for pointing that one out, i'll go back to playing pure builds now as it seems i'm incompetent when it comes to multiclassing.

They are fast :D

Dogan
shamed.

Zippo
01-16-2010, 03:50 PM
I've done a search and this potential for builds seems to have slipped by. At a glance (otherwise known as, looking at all the information I have available to me when not playing the game) you would think the synergy of the two through Charisma would make for an interesting build. Take the Paladin to level 6 to get Vulkoor/Undying/Soveriegnty, Immunity to Fear/Disease, add Charisma bonus to saves, divine sacrafice and auras to bump AC/Saves/Concentration. Just 3 levels of Paladin gives the Immunity, Charisma bonus, and auras. While you could take 14 levels of Bard, I don't see a big difference between 15 and 16 in terms of spell casting and you could even drop that to 14 which still gets you a 5th level spell and Inspire Courage +2 (think that makes it a +3 not counting enhancements). Then, with UMD as a class skill you have your pick of tools (wands, scrolls, weapons, armor, trinkets).

So i'm guessing the sweet spot would be 14 Bard, 3 Paladin, 3 of your choice (Bard/Paladin/Monk/Fighter/Rogue). Providing Aura/Song and crowd control along the perimeter and/or between the melee & arcane/ranged. Go with 2 levels of Rogue/Monk and get Evasion to go along with your CHA buffed saves and it seems like you could wade through combat at will. Choose the feats right and there is a limited ability to adapt your prestige enhancements to fit the party you're rolling with.

Dogan
I now await the flame.

Hate to break the news to ya but it can't happen. Bards can not be Lawful, Paladins have to be Lawful good.

Damn they are quick.

Visty
01-16-2010, 03:53 PM
I hope that this is a joke, cause monks need to be lawful and Barbarians need to be anything but lawful.

ssshhhhhhhhh

stop ruining the fun :/

ristretto93
01-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Thanks for pointing that one out, i'll go back to playing pure builds now as it seems i'm incompetent when it comes to multiclassing.
shamed.

Are you kidding? This would have been the class combo of my dreams! I've had the thought myself, in fact keep having to remind myself every time I'm trying to come up with MY perfect build that it just can never be. I would say, just cause this one didn't work, don't stop coming up with obscure or strange combos (um, assuming they would be survivable!). The paladin aura and bard song mix is too much inspiration for one for one character to produce I guess, and it breaks my heart.

All I'm saying is...
Don't: stop experimental multiclassing
Do: gather lots of info and crunch the numbers when doing it

LAWPRE
01-16-2010, 04:38 PM
I forget exactly how many tries Edison had before he finally got the light buld right but it was A LOT!!

I have been gaming - in one form or another - for well over 25 years and I get my head handed to me all the time (It is getting rather embarrassing that my 6 year old daughter is starting to do this as well but...). Sometimes, it is a matter of me being old, sometimes it is a difference between PnP or MMO (there are many of these), sometimes I missed a rules change memo.

The important thing is that you keep trying and do not get discouraged. I have deleted at least 20 toons and only 5 of those are because of redoing for the 32 point build. The rest just did not work out for one reason or another.