PDA

View Full Version : rename Enhancements and other confusing terms

Corebreach
01-13-2010, 01:34 AM
"Enhancement" currently has three distinct meanings. The first is a bonus type keyword ("a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength"). The second refers to magic item properties, both individually (e.g. "the Maiming enhancement") and collectively ("an overall enhancement of +7"). The third refers to character improvements purchased with Action Points. This is needlessly confusing. That last meaning is particularly problematic since so many Enhancements provide bonuses, but they are not "enhancement bonuses". This adds another frequent layer of confusion to D&D's already-unintuitive-to-outsiders stacking rules. Plus there's the deal that items and characters are enhanced through entirely different mechanics, though this is a relatively minor extra point.

Character Enhancements should be renamed. The game would gain clarity and lose nothing -- not even PnP fidelity, since the term does not come from PnP rules. ("Action Point" does, though they're gained and spent differently.) Possible replacements are "Features", "Perks", and "Specializations". I prefer "Features" since their benefits parallel Feats so strongly.

There are a few more terms that are ambiguous or misleading, but they're lower priority.

* Healer's Kit: Current name incorrectly suggests it can be used for general healing. Rename it "Trauma Kit" to better reflect its actual use.

* Repair Kit: Current name incorrectly suggests it can be used to repair item damage. Rename it "Reconstruction Kit" to better reflect its actual use.

* Clothing: Currently has two distinct meanings. First meaning is robes, outfits, and docents (i.e., all body slot items lighter than "light armor"). Second meaning is hats, gloves, belts, boots, and cloaks (i.e., the five minor item slots that aren't jewelry). Rename the latter "accessories".

Angelus_dead
01-13-2010, 02:10 AM
Character Enhancements should be renamed.
That's a suggestion I made when DDO was in beta.

Not the Unlimited beta; the real beta.

Borror0
01-13-2010, 06:52 AM
"Enhancement" currently has three distinct meanings.
It shows you're a DDOwiki editor. There's a lot of things like that one. When you start compiling information for a game, you'll eventually start realizing how careless the game's developers are with their use of words. It's not something is obvious from their perspective but it's something that can cause a lot of confusion for new players if they are not careful.

Another good one is how what we called quests are not called quests in-game but rather adventures. Quest refers to something else.

Corebreach
01-13-2010, 01:31 PM
It shows you're a DDOwiki editor. There's a lot of things like that one. When you start compiling information for a game, you'll eventually start realizing how careless the game's developers are with their use of words. It's not something is obvious from their perspective but it's something that can cause a lot of confusion for new players if they are not careful.
Editor, shmeditor. That makes it sound like I only noticed this stuff because I'm anal-retentive. Lurk the /advice channel. I'm not the only one getting tripped up by this.

WeaselKing
01-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Editor, shmeditor. That makes it sound like I only noticed this stuff because I'm anal-retentive. Lurk the /advice channel. I'm not the only one getting tripped up by this.

I'm not a Borror0 fanboi or anything but I don't know why you seem to think he is insulting you.

Borror0
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Editor, shmeditor. That makes it sound like I only noticed this stuff because I'm anal-retentive.
No. I meant we both noticed this because we're both in a situation where we care about how something is named as we try to be as clear as possible. If anything, it's a compliment: you pay enough attention to details to notice it's possibly confusing.

Corebreach
01-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I'm not a Borror0 fanboi or anything but I don't know why you seem to think he is insulting you.
I don't think he's insulting me. I'm concerned that his reply will make readers think I only want this change because I'm extra-picky, or that this change would solve a problem that most players don't encounter.