PDA

View Full Version : Feat: Bow Strength

Iakona
01-12-2010, 04:30 PM
This is a class feat? And the ranger has no choice in keeping it?

I do not understand the DEVs despise for ranged weapon class in this game. Bad enough that arrow damage and weapon damage don't stack, I could live with that as a ranger. But a DEX based Ranger gets penalized automatically for specialiing in ranged weapons by severely cutting their damage bonus? So they have to eliminate their dex based AC and mobility in order to wear heavy armor in order to use ranged weapons efficiently?

I'm sorry, if that's what the DEVs intended, why did they make Arcane Archers DEX based and light armor class? They are either messing with newbs wanting to make a Ranger, or something is seriously wrong with this feat.

I seriously doubt the feat allows STR to stack with DEX in determing damage bonus. That would be a severe imbalance. But why do they penalize the folks wanting to use ranged weapons as an alternative to high DPS melee damage? With this feat, ANY Ranger should be started STR based. And easily equipped into at least medium armor without high mobility hits.

Again, this feat just doesn't make sense and it doesn't make sense a ranger can't get rid of it if they want.

Milolyen
01-12-2010, 04:37 PM
I think you are a little confused there OP. Ranged combat has your dex mod added to your to hit but there is no stat mod to dmg when using ranged combat. However if you take the feat bow str (which rangers get for free) then your dex mod is added to your to hit and your str mod will be added to dmg. Hope that clears it up.

Milolyen

rimble
01-12-2010, 04:38 PM
Their only error in this regard is making this functionality a feat. Anyone should be able to apply their Strength damage to bows, and it shouldn't require a feat.

That is how bows work, you don't and never did, add your Dex bonus to damage with bows (which I THINK is what you're complaining about).

And yes, there's really no good reason to make a Dex Ranger.

Dawnsfire
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

I do not understand the DEVs despise for ranged weapon class in this game. Bad enough that arrow damage and weapon damage don't stack, I could live with that as a ranger. But a DEX based Ranger gets penalized automatically for specialiing in ranged weapons by severely cutting their damage bonus? So they have to eliminate their dex based AC and mobility in order to wear heavy armor in order to use ranged weapons efficiently?

I'm sorry, if that's what the DEVs intended, why did they make Arcane Archers DEX based and light armor class? They are either messing with newbs wanting to make a Ranger, or something is seriously wrong with this feat.

I seriously doubt the feat allows STR to stack with DEX in determing damage bonus. That would be a severe imbalance. But why do they penalize the folks wanting to use ranged weapons as an alternative to high DPS melee damage? With this feat, ANY Ranger should be started STR based. And easily equipped into at least medium armor without high mobility hits.

Again, this feat just doesn't make sense and it doesn't make sense a ranger can't get rid of it if they want.

If memory serves bows do not get additional damage from Dex bonuses. Without bow str, you get no additional damage at all except the magical damage on the arrows. So I believe it is a buff to damage regardless.

WeaselKing
01-12-2010, 04:39 PM

What?!?!
No matter what kind of ranger you have dex bonus NEVER gets added to damage, in fact that is true of all characters using all weapons. The ONLY way to add ANY stat modifier to damage from a bow is to have Bow Strength and add your str modifier. There is absolutely why you wouldn't want it. Next time do some research before you get all ****y.

And I don't even have a clue what you are talking about with the armor stuff.

rkp1971
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
So basically composite bows do not add STR damage or give mighty? You have to take Bow Strength for that?

rimble
01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
So basically composite bows do not add STR damage or give mighty? You have to take Bow Strength for that?

Yep, no idea what hater thought that'd be a good idea, but there you have it. Rangers get it for free, others can buy it for 3 Feats (including choosing from Power Attack or Combat Expertise if you want...***? I guess because most damage dealers have one or both of those, I dunno)

GeneralDiomedes
01-12-2010, 05:05 PM
What?!?!
No matter what kind of ranger you have dex bonus NEVER gets added to damage, in fact that is true of all characters using all weapons.

In many other games, however, agility does add to ranged damage which is why he may be upset.

He is not confused, however - he is just complaining that a DEX ranger gets penalized for ranged damage because he presumably has to sacrifice some STR to get all that DEX.

WeaselKing
01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
In many other games, however, agility does add to ranged damage which is why he may be confused.

Really? I only play DDO and wouldn't know.

uhgungawa
01-12-2010, 05:13 PM

DUDE, what are you smoking? Dex to hit and STR to damage that's it.

P.S. And you got the feat for free, so stop your whining

hydra_ex
01-12-2010, 05:14 PM

Exactly. For me, whose first character was a recreation on my pnp character (an archer ranger... /sad), it was my first major surprise deviation. In order to add your STR bonus to bows, you must have the bow strength feat (purchasable by other classes, a bonus feat for rangers). This allows you to add your full STR bonus. There are no STR ratings for bow strength; its all or none. Composite bows simply have an almost unnoticeable higher range; no STR ratings or anything else - they're damage stats are identical to a regular bow of the same type.

Iakona
01-12-2010, 05:20 PM
Exactly. For me, whose first character was a recreation on my pnp character (an archer ranger... /sad), it was my first major surprise deviation. In order to add your STR bonus to bows, you must have the bow strength feat (purchasable by other classes, a bonus feat for rangers). This allows you to add your full STR bonus. There are no STR ratings for bow strength; its all or none. Composite bows simply have an almost unnoticeable higher range; no STR ratings or anything else - they're damage stats are identical to a regular bow of the same type.

Well this is a forum for new players. All those that were rude, and insulting to a degree, over something posted probably should keep that in mind.

Thank you for your response. I was under the assumption dex added to damage bonus, and didn't realize it went to accuracy instead.

Corebreach
01-13-2010, 01:55 AM
Composite bows simply have an almost unnoticeable higher range;
That's PnP rules. The smallest, plainest shortbow in DDO can hit anything you can see, even if you set your draw distance to the maximum in your graphics options, unless there is terrain in the way.

Uska
01-13-2010, 02:39 AM
Dex never adds to damage only str having bow str for free is a bonus no a punishment.

for ranged its

dex for to hit
str adds to thrown weapon damage

str will add to bow damage if you have bow str.

Kriogen
01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
Yes, in DDO, Strength is warriors primary attribute.

There are other games where Dex is added to bow damage, but not here. DDO is based on D&D and thats how it is in D&D.

In DDO Strength rules. More is better and there is no limit. For Ranger, natural Dex of 14-16 is optimal.

I don't think devs despise ranged combat. I think they are just affraid of it. Goes the same for 'casters'.