PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Knight

RavenStormclaw
01-11-2010, 07:45 PM
So I was toying around with the idea of spellsword type build but nothing seemed right to me. Then I got to thinking of the Eldritch Knight prestige class for wizards/sorcerers. I think something like this might be interesting for DDO. I have a few rough suggestions but would like some comment/feedback on how to make it work.

Eldritch Knight I
Level 6 arcane
Granted feats and abilities: Have begun martial training on top of your arcane training you have access to a select group of martial weapons. Select two from the list to become proficient in (the list being all martial weapons exotics excluded). Your training also increases you BAB by 2.

Eldrtich Knight II
Level 12 arcane
Granted feats and abilities: Your training has progressed. You may select and additional two martial weapons to become proficient in. You have also learend the art of casting in armor. Light and medium armor check penalties are reduced by 15%. This stacks with elven and warforged enhancements. Your BAB increases by another two for a total of 4.

Eldritch Knight III
Level 18 arcane
Granted feats and abilites: Your training is complete. You gain the weapon specilzation feat in one of your chosen weapons or you may choose to become proficient in a exotic weapon. You have mastered the art of casting in armor there are no penalites for light armor and medium armor is reduced another 5%. Heavy armor has its penalty reduced by 15%. Your totlal BAB increase is now 6.

Its a rough draft and I haven't thought of pre-reqs other then the basic level requirement. Any comments or suggestions are welcome. Heck flame me if you want I don't mind:D

Edit" by my calculations the BAB increase should put level 20 at a BAB of 16 on par with other combat but not meelee classes (ie cleric/FvS/rogue/bard)

Gol
01-11-2010, 07:49 PM
beats the hell out of the alternatives. why they went for a craptastic summoner PrE like Pale Master (with p1ss poor implementation to boot) over the EK baffles me, personally.

Letrii
01-11-2010, 08:09 PM
It would most likely require wizard and fighter levels to take I would think.

hydra_ex
01-11-2010, 08:11 PM
beats the hell out of the alternatives. why they went for a craptastic summoner PrE like Pale Master (with p1ss poor implementation to boot) over the EK baffles me, personally.

Lich form is enough for me.

sirdanile
01-11-2010, 08:18 PM
With the spell failure chance lowering of this I could see the elf armor wizards finally having their turn in the spotlight, but I suggest there be the option to channel spellpoints into special abilities for your weapon, kinda like an arcane archers imbues, and I suggest to change this into a 5-tier prestige class.

Eldritch Knight - Armor focus: (Gained at tier 1) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on defense and gain a bonus to armor class while wearing armor (the higher the bonus the heavier the armor as it means more investment) as well as the ability to use combat expertise while casting. When active your spell failure chance in armor is reduced 15%. You can only use one focus at a time.

Eldritch Knight - Attack focus: (Gained at tier 2) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on channeling your energy into your weapons precision and gain a bonus to-hit equal to your arcane caster level divided by 2 or your Int bonus (whichever fits best).
You can only use one focus at a time.

Eldritch Knight - Damage focus: (gained at tier 3) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on sheer power with your blade as you gain a damage bonus equal to 3/4 your caster level or 1.5x your int (whichever fits best into the prestige)

Eldritch Knight - Arcane focus: 4 AP
Costs a spell slot and spell points equal to casting a spell of that level times 3 to activate
You gain a bonus to the save dc of your spells equal to the level spell slot you sacrifice to gain this ability for one cast each time you critically hit an enemy with a melee weapon. (can change out/in to spell levels at rest)

Eldritch Knight - Weapon mastery focus: 6 AP (Damage and attack focus required)
Costs a spell slot and spell points equal to casting a spell of that level times 4 to activate
You gain the benefits of the first 3 enhancements as if your caster level was 2x the spell slot used or int bonus the same as the spell slot used (depending on which one the earlier enhancements use)

These are just possible enhancements which would act like arcane archer imbues, A good idea would be to move ability to use combat expertise and spell failure chance to the main line as well as other benefits to using melee and casting in the main line, such as gaining free potency per tier.

Xyfiel
01-11-2010, 08:28 PM
And/or...

Arcane Trickster
Prerequisites:
Level 6
Ability to cast 2nd level arcane spells
One of the following: Stealthy, negotiator, athletic, acrobatic, alertness, nimble fingers, skill focus(any rogue class skill).
Rogue Sneak Attack Training I

Your attacks gain 1d6 sneak damage. Any ray spell you cast gains your sneak attack damage. You gain +1 to all skills. You can cast the following spells at will: Jump, Tumble, Detect secret doors, and Merfolks Blessing.
Alternative spells: Niacs cold ray and Ray of enfeeblement.

Tier II
Ability to cast 4th level arcane spells
Two of the following: Stealthy, negotiator, athletic, acrobatic, alertness, nimble fingers, skill focus(any rogue class skill).
Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I

Your attacks gain an additional 1d6 sneak damage. You gain +1 to all skills. You cast the following spells at will: Invisibility, Knock, Glitterdust, Blur, and See Invisibility.
Alternative spells: Scorching Ray and Melf's

Tier III
Ability to caast 6th level arcane spells
Three of the following: Stealthy, negotiator, athletic, acrobatic, alertness, nimble fingers, skill focus(any rogue class skill).
Rogue xxx
You cast the following spells at will: Sleet Storm, Heroism, and Displacement
Alternative spells: Frost Lance and Ray of exhaustion

Aesop
01-11-2010, 09:41 PM
Dragon Disciple I (Red, White, Black or Blue)
Prerequisite: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon I, Sorcerer Charisma I, Level 6 Sorcerer
Cost: 4 AP
You delved deeply into your draconic heritage. You gain energy resistance 5 with the energy type of your draconic relative, deal 10% additional damage with said energy types spells and effects, and have an additional 2% chance to generate a critical result. You can produce a cone-ranged elemental energy effect at will.

Breathe Weapon(Free with Dragon Disciple I)
You exhale a cone of elemental energy, dealing 1d6 hit points of elemental energy damage per two caster level to creatures in the area of effect. A successful reflex save reduces the damage by half.

Lesser Draconic Transformation (Free with Dragon Disciple I)
Gain a +4 bonus to Strength Constitution and Charisma as well as a +2 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage.

Sorceror Dragon Disciplie II
Prerequisite: Dragon Disciple I, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon II, Sorcerer Charisma II, Level 12 Sorcerer
Cost: 2 AP
You are so in tune with your draconic heritage that differences . You gain 5 additional energy resistance (for a total of +10 energy resistance), deal 10% additional damage with the matching elemental energy spells (for a total of +20%), and increase your chance to generate a critical result with negative energy spells by 2% (Your base spell critical chance is now 4% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.).

Draconic Transformation
Prerequisite: Dragon Disciple II, Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation II
Cost: 1 AP
Gain a +6 bonus to Strength and Constitution as well as a +4 bonus to Charisma. You also gain a +4 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage.

Sorcerer Dragon Disciple III
Prerequisite: Sorcerer Dragon Disciple II, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon III, Sorcerer Charisma III, Level 18 Sorcerer
You have transended to the height of your draconic power. You gain 10 additional energy resistance (for a total of +20), deal 10% additional damage with matching elemental energy spells (for a total of +30%), and increase your chance to generate a critical result with negative energy spells by 2% (Your base spell critical chance is now 6% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.).

Draconic Apotheosis
Prerequisite: Dragon Disciple III, Sorcerer Elemental Manipulation III
Gain a +8 bonus to Strength and Constitution as well as a +4 bonus to Charisma. You also gain a +6 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage. You also gain immunity to your energy type, sleep and paralysis effects.

Not very good but hey maybe if they get shapechanging right then... it could be very fun :)

Aesop

RavenStormclaw
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
With the spell failure chance lowering of this I could see the elf armor wizards finally having their turn in the spotlight, but I suggest there be the option to channel spellpoints into special abilities for your weapon, kinda like an arcane archers imbues, and I suggest to change this into a 5-tier prestige class.

Eldritch Knight - Armor focus: (Gained at tier 1) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on defense and gain a bonus to armor class while wearing armor (the higher the bonus the heavier the armor as it means more investment) as well as the ability to use combat expertise while casting. When active your spell failure chance in armor is reduced 15%. You can only use one focus at a time.

Eldritch Knight - Attack focus: (Gained at tier 2) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on channeling your energy into your weapons precision and gain a bonus to-hit equal to your arcane caster level divided by 2 or your Int bonus (whichever fits best).

Eldritch Knight - Damage focus: (gained at tier 3) 2 AP
Costs 40 sp to activate
You focus on sheer power with your blade as you gain a damage bonus equal to 3/4 your caster level or 1.5x your int (whichever fits best into the prestige)

Eldritch Knight - Arcane focus: 4 AP
Costs a spell slot and spell points equal to casting a spell of that level times 3 to activate
You gain a bonus to the save dc of your spells equal to the level spell slot you sacrifice to gain this ability for one cast each time you critically hit an enemy with a melee weapon. (can change out/in to spell levels at rest)

Eldritch Knight - Weapon mastery focus: 6 AP (Damage and attack focus required)
Costs a spell slot and spell points equal to casting a spell of that level times 4 to activate
You gain the benefits of the first 3 enhancements as if your caster level was 2x the spell slot used or int bonus the same as the spell slot used (depending on which one the earlier enhancements use)

These are just possible enhancements which would act like arcane archer imbues, A good idea would be to move ability to use combat expertise and spell failure chance to the main line as well as other benefits to using melee and casting in the main line, such as gaining free potency per tier.

While interesting I would have to disagree with going this route. The eldritch knight is really about having undergone rigours martial and arcane training. Basing it off a "clickie" type ability is really contrary to the nature of the enhancement.

bobbryan2
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Prerequisite: Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon I, Sorcerer Charisma I, Level 6 Sorcerer
You delved deeply into your draconic heritage. You gain energy resistance 5 with the energy type of your draconic relative, deal 10% additional damage with said energy types spells and effects, and have an additional 2% chance to generate a critical result. You can produce a cone-ranged elemental energy effect at will.

You exhale a cone of elemental energy, dealing 1d6 hit points of elemental energy damage per two caster level to creatures in the area of effect. A successful reflex save reduces the damage by half.

Gain a +4 bonus to Strength Constitution and Charisma as well as a +2 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage.

Prerequisite: Dragon Disciple I, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon II, Sorcerer Charisma II, Level 12 Sorcerer
You are so in tune with your draconic heritage that differences . You gain 5 additional energy resistance (for a total of +10 energy resistance), deal 10% additional damage with the matching elemental energy spells (for a total of +20%), and increase your chance to generate a critical result with negative energy spells by 2% (Your base spell critical chance is now 4% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.).

Draconic Transformation
Gain a +6 bonus to Strength and Constitution as well as a +4 bonus to Charisma. You also gain a +4 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage.

Prerequisite: Sorcerer Dragon Disciple II, Sorcerer Energy of the Dragon III, Sorcerer Charisma III, Level 18 Sorcerer
You have transended to the height of your draconic power. You gain 10 additional energy resistance (for a total of +20), deal 10% additional damage with matching elemental energy spells (for a total of +30%), and increase your chance to generate a critical result with negative energy spells by 2% (Your base spell critical chance is now 6% and base critical damage multiplier is 1.5.).

Draconic Apotheosis
Gain a +8 bonus to Strength and Constitution as well as a +4 bonus to Charisma. You also gain a +6 Bonus to Natural Armor and Size Bonus to weapon damage. You also gain immunity to your energy type, sleep and paralysis effects.

Not very good but hey maybe if they get shapechanging right then... it could be very fun :)

Aesop

And most importantly.... WINGS! Leap of Faith ability.

Aesop
01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
And most importantly.... WINGS! Leap of Faith ability.

oh yeah on the Draconic Apotheosis

Aesop

Letrii
01-12-2010, 07:56 AM

Draconic Transformation

Draconic Apotheosis

Aesop

What about green dragon disciples?

KKDragonLord
01-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Yep, you guys hit the nail on the head, those three are the best PrEs ever made imo (flavor wise)

EK should be the Wiz version of the Dragon disciple, as in each class should have one choice of a melee caster, possibily managing to become an AC build, and having that arcane attack feat for damage, (spending SPs to increase melee damage), increased Hate equipment would be necessary though.

Arcane Trickster, amazing class with excellent flavor, ranged unlocking could be done with an improved version of the Knock spell.

Dragon Disciple: Sorc only, kinda like the Barbarian version of melee sorcs. Although it should be trimmed down a bit to justify it granting spell levels. (mainly losing the lesser abilities like breath weapon)

Aesop
01-12-2010, 03:22 PM
What about green dragon disciples?

same as the black dragon only a different shade