PDA

View Full Version : I feel poor

DoofusBrains
01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Hello. I've been playing awhile now, and I'm having fun, I just feel like I must be missing something. I don't think I'm making enough money to keep up with my level. Seems like everyone has gear that surpasses mine. The armor I'm currently wearing was donated out of pity to me.
Where's all this money I'm missing out on? Quests give me decent loot, but that's about it: decent. I laugh when I get a quarterstaff from a big chest. I'd like to think I'm savvy enough by now to know what a reasonable deal is. I look in the AH for reasonably priced items (I know a lot of items are ridiculously overpriced), but I can't seem to afford but one or two items. I'm not blindly buying whatever I see at AH, and I do check the pawns as well. (They're called pawns?)
Not looking to be rich, just want to not be poor! :p
Thanks!

captain1z
01-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Hello. I've been playing awhile now, and I'm having fun, I just feel like I must be missing something. I don't think I'm making enough money to keep up with my level. Seems like everyone has gear that surpasses mine. The armor I'm currently wearing was donated out of pity to me.
Where's all this money I'm missing out on? Quests give me decent loot, but that's about it: decent. I laugh when I get a quarterstaff from a big chest. I'd like to think I'm savvy enough by now to know what a reasonable deal is. I look in the AH for reasonably priced items (I know a lot of items are ridiculously overpriced), but I can't seem to afford but one or two items. I'm not blindly buying whatever I see at AH, and I do check the pawns as well. (They're called pawns?)
Thanks!

1st server characters tend to be pretty poor unless they can provide everything they need for themselves by use of sp. Your future characters will benefit well from the ones who struggled b4 them.

Craap
01-11-2010, 06:45 PM
like most of us who have been around awhile, plat comes and goes, once you have a high enough level character, you can easily make plat just by doing normal questing, let alone loot running.

what level are you now? what character class are you? what server are you on? looting can be easier on certain characters.

you can run the desert explore area for bloodstone, ring and greaves chests quite easily and selling them can get you a good amount of plat.

Freeman
01-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Without any outside source of plat(Such as a high-level character handing it down), most characters tend to go from "I'm completely broke" at low levels(1-6), to "I've managed to save up enough for a few decent items" in the mid levels(6-12), and then finally arrive at the "I don't bother counting the stacks of money anymore, since I can always get more if I need it" stage in the high levels. It isn't hard to amass several hundred thousand plat on level 16+ characters, and that's if you really don't do anything but normal questing. Just hang in there for now, and look for some of those rarer items that tend to sell for more, such as those mentioned above.

Arnya
01-11-2010, 06:58 PM
Most good gear isn't bought, it's looted or traded.

Quite commonly, people buy gear then loot better in higher level content.

My advice to you is don't buy from the auction House or vendors till later in the game.

Try to stockpile your resources - plat, pots etc until you get to Gianthold and level 12-14.

When you hit this area the loot value goes up considerably and just by having a decent haggle (40+) you can make some good cash.

Most of the nice armour and weapons on the auction house come from chests in Gianthold and higher level areas anyways so you may as well just play the game and eventually stuff will drop that will make your day :)

Besides, a good player doesn't need gear to succeed and a bad player can have all the gear and plat in the game and still suck.

akla_thornfist
01-11-2010, 07:02 PM
my first character was lev 10 before i noticed any real change in the amout of gold i was getting for running quest and selling junk drops, but i made the most money selling rare drops on the auction house mostly +1 and +2 tomes back when they sold before the auction finished. but now at lev 18-20 you can make an easy 40k plat selling junk pulls in a couple hours.

Dragonhyde
01-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Instead of the auction house for weapons and armor I suggest trying the brokers in house d and k for upgrades until you loot better. I typically only use the ah to twink a new lowbie or to snipe something I know I can sell for more.

Temet
01-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Aye, it's not that most items are overpriced but that almost everyone plays alts in DDO so the better items are mostly sold to twinks (who can naturally afford to pay a lot more). That said, you don't even in the slightest need those items to play the game.

You'll be able to buy them for your alts as well once you have a character high enough to do some loot runs (personally I do rare runs for cash - can currently make about 50k PP an hour).

If you want some gear, try the static loot thread.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks!

Hard to comment without knowing your level.

And your sig is out of date:

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know trinary, those who don't, and those who thought this was a binary joke.

dopey69
01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
loot run ........... k we all have them ,those runs we can solo for loot . find some for your self and run them every time there is nothing to do or no one on to group with .we all do it i asume, imo you don't get rich running quests for xp. like everything in this game you have to grind for what you want :)
again if we had your lvl and class we could make suggestions on where to run but.............

Sebiale
01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm level 3 and carry around about 1k plat, how's that for a start?

PopeJual
01-11-2010, 07:51 PM
My level 11 Paladin/Rogue just hit 5 million GP (assuming the auction sells successfully) because I stumbled upon an exceptionally rare item with a group that told me the item was exceptionally rare. (I might have sold it at a broker if no one told me!)

Even that 5 million GP that I'm expecting still makes me feel poor when I see the crazy prices for some things on the Auction House. It does mean that my level 4 Sorcerer and my level 7 Cleric are going to have some delightful gear once I go shopping for them. :)

The reason why everyone seems to have so much better gear than you do is that they have higher level characters either farming special items for the or simply buying those items on the Auction House. I know that my Cleric had a much easier set of early levels because of the Adamantine Full Plate +1 that the Paladin bought him.

DasLurch
01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
The area you start to see some $$$ come your way is when you start running level 12 quests. You still see some nice stuff drop from lowwer area stuff, but this is really the breaking point. If you really want to see an increase in your plat levels, get a character up to level 11+ and get out to Gianthold. That's where someone really starts to get oneself into the "black" plat wise. Before then, you'll be lucky to amass 50k pp on a character that is not a bard, or sorcerer. Once you get out there, try to sell as much as you can to the brokers in town, and not to any of the regular vendors in gianthold. It's frustrating, but once you get there, you will suddenly find making some plat easy, but then must fight off the urge to spend it all immediately :)

Sebiale
01-12-2010, 01:46 AM
How come numbers are so high?

ivar415
01-12-2010, 03:45 AM
It´s called inflation.

If it weren´t for the brokers, everything would be totally out of the reach of the standard lowbie.

gorloch
01-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Aye, it's not that most items are overpriced but that almost everyone plays alts in DDO so the better items are mostly sold to twinks (who can naturally afford to pay a lot more). .

Most of us who "twink" our toons have been playing for close to four years and have the items saved up from bringing up several lowbies while waiting for the new content everyone gets to enjoy now. Also the reason how many of us have the plat we do now. Try playing this game for almost four years and see how much you have?

PIXA

Kiralyn2000
01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
It´s called inflation.

If it weren´t for the brokers, everything would be totally out of the reach of the standard lowbie.

Yep. On the other hand, the prevailing prices (along with some luck*) enabled my starter characters to have a bit of a nest egg to work with.

*Farming coins in December, I found 5-6 small eberrons, a second STK FF ring, a Bottle of Air, and a good number of 1kpp gold coins. Whee! (And I just got a portable hole from my second Delera's run. Didn't sell that.)

HBene
01-12-2010, 09:48 AM
There are some classes that end being more expensive than others too. But another thing that helps is the haggle skill (it is a waste in a lot of builds, that's why a lot of players usually have 1 hagglebot besides the main character in a server). It may seem you don't get that much money with it in the beggining, but then the differences start to be really evident when your skill is higher and the items are more valuable.

ArgentMage
01-12-2010, 10:22 AM
There are some classes that end being more expensive than others too.

This is very true. In particular, you need to have a Rogue along on most early
quests to be sure you're extracting the maximum loot from each run.

While some folks argue against the AH, I say if you know what a broker is asking
for an item and can get it for less on the AH, then do it. I've gotten some screaming
deals on the AH, and try to post the stuff I put out there for a low price so that it
sells (for more than I'd get from a broker or vendor), and someone gets the benefit
of it.

Finally, my view on wealth is this: If you're completing level-appropriate quests,
and coming out ahead (after repair, etc), then you're good to go. You'll pop for an
occasional goodie from a broker or AH, but most of the stuff you accumulate will
be through quests, and that's as it should be.

pumagirl418
01-12-2010, 10:30 AM
I think the main thing is time put into the game.
Second is cost of running your toon (good groups, bad groups, repair bills, various potions/wands/scrolls).
third is luck of the loot (knowing whats good and whats not can earn you more money when you do pull something as well).

mattysix
01-12-2010, 10:36 AM
(personally I do rare runs for cash - can currently make about 50k PP an hour).

where you running btw?

matty

Krag
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Bad news:
You are going to stay poor untill you cap at least one character and make yourself a hagglebot.

Good news:
You don't need AH stuff to complete quests and the best loot with only a few exeptions comes from raids anyway.

Aganthor
01-12-2010, 10:57 AM
loot run ........... k we all have them ,those runs we can solo for loot . find some for your self and run them every time there is nothing to do or no one on to group with .we all do it i asume, imo you don't get rich running quests for xp. like everything in this game you have to grind for what you want :)
again if we had your lvl and class we could make suggestions on where to run but.............

Can you share with us newbie what's a loot run?

Thanks in advance.

Alishandra
01-12-2010, 11:42 AM
One assumes it is like running the scarlet monestary (Level 30 instance) at 80 in tier 10 to get those twinker items that sell for 3k gold. Of course gold on wow means more then it does here.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
01-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Can you share with us newbie what's a loot run?

Thanks in advance.

A pure loot run is running a quest up to a quickly reachable chest(s), looting, recalling out, break and reform group, jump back in and repeat until ransacked.

You don't waste time completing the quest.

Nahual
01-12-2010, 11:58 AM
The most noted loot runs are:

Durks muckbane
STK ring of feathers
Giant Caves in threnal (back in the day)
Co6 only last quest (back in the day)
Desert Bloodstone,greaves,etc
Shrieking mines ress ring
Orchard for tapestries
part 1 shroud
Skellie in sub for vestments arg cant remember their name

etc please add if you know others.

unionyes
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I have been playing for a few years, and I switched servers a while ago (From Khyber to Thelanis), so I was starting from zero.

Best way to go is to avoid the AH at low levels unless it is a really good deal, the kind of deal where you almost feel bad buying something because you think the seller must have made a plat conversion error or something. The pawn shops are usually your best bet, but at first just equip yourself with what you loot or can trade for with other party members.

Have a plan for your 'next' characters, and save the good loot that you pull for when you make them. If you are running a cleric and you pull a Min Level 2 Acid Bow, put it in the bank for when you roll a ranged character down the road. The advantage of this is that after a while you will be able to twink your new characters with some really great gear right off the bat, and it won't cost you anything. By way of contrast, if you were to sell that gear now and try to buy similar gear later it will end up costing you in the long run.

Also, don't try to be a gear broker. Buying and selling on the AH for profit is a lot trickier than you might think. Instead, once you are higher level go there looking for things that you need but have just not been able to pull. Browsing and impulse shopping on the AH is the best way I can think of to be perpetually broke and make someone else rich.

By way of encouragement, once you get out into Gianthold you will see some decent loot dropping, stuff that is worthwhile to take to the pawn shop instead of just unloading it to the bartender. And once you get one character up to the point where you can run Vale, you can make some decent plat just hitting the rares out there. Get into a group that seems to know what it is doing, and remember where the rares have a chance to spawn. If you pull something with a base value of 50Kish then you are at the point where you should put it in your shared bank and have your highest haggle character sell it.

One 'cycle' that I do on my caster when I need to put some plat together is to do right side of the Vale, then the Gnolls out there (left and a short swim from Meridia), hit the shrine there, then Greater Teleport to the Menechtarun Desert, hit the Bloodstone chest, then kill some Gnolls to try for some Greaves, then repeat. It isn't hard to make 50K an hour, although it can be a bit of a grind.

Good luck, and remember too that plat in and of itself is useless except to buy what you need. A level 1 Fighter with 100K plat has the same Base Attack Bonus as a level 1 Fighter with 10 plat.

Emili
01-12-2010, 12:39 PM
I am generally plat poor compared to most vets I run with - as they say you cannot take it with you.

May seem like a lot to you but most I ever had was about eight million PP and I generally have about one million PP on average - I hold this as a nest egg for rainy days (and generally not mine)... comparing to how much cash high levels can generate, if I were a bit more thrifty I could money cap all thirteen of my characters.

I started playing this game well over four years ago - in beta - and my first character was a fighter (this class tends to use a lot in repairs and potions) ...
My second character is a bard (this class makes money, it also turns the loot the other characters pull into more money then the others can normally get for it - even with postal costs)... this is really my source of income all girls loot and send junk items to be vendored.

I share ... if I pull something good which am not going to use nor fits my ideas, should someone need it - I give it. If not in group then within guild or friends. I wear the crown as a guild leader and when someone wants/needs something I make every effort I can to fulfill that want/need - I see what I have stored away or loot run or use my currency to fulfill their wants/needs. I often help to support more than just myself.

Thinking back I can pretty much count on ten fingers the times I ever placed anything up on the auction house.

I am rich beyond all means in online friends ... My guildies make me feel a princess and friends and acquaintances on the server treat me very well, had it not been for the people I've met I would not still play DDO.

... and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Now to the OP, this is always the delema of a new character... better items/gear means less expense, while getting those takes some expense... loot runs vary at level ... muckbanes, ring of feathers and the +1 element weapon sell in either cash or trades ... perishables and repairs are a plat sink and you tend you use more of those based on the difficulty of the quests vs your playing ability and your gear. Mid-level loot runs such as XC (planar girds, chaos guardes), TS (for it's named loot) and eventually leading into bloodstone farming, tome page farming, and raids... the most lucritive loot run in the game is by far the Shroud - 12 chests of high level items - but most importantly (crafting ingredients) and thus the real value of an item is based on a devil scale. Just to name a few accross the board... if you perhaps hint at your level we may be able to offer some recommendations.

Strakeln
01-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Where's all this money I'm missing out on?
High level quests.

Aganthor
01-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the information! I'll keep that in mind.

The most noted loot runs are:

Durks muckbane
STK ring of feathers
Giant Caves in threnal (back in the day)
Co6 only last quest (back in the day)
Desert Bloodstone,greaves,etc
Shrieking mines ress ring
Orchard for tapestries
part 1 shroud
Skellie in sub for vestments arg cant remember their name

etc please add if you know others.

Kale_Hagan
01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Honestly, everyone's right, you will eventually have more money that you reasonably need (but probably not as much as you think you want).

My advice is to enjoy being poor while you are. Sounds weird, right?

Right now, whenever you open a chest and you see something you think "All right, what'd I pull?"

When you're rich, the fun kinda goes out of most chests unless they are raid chests. The attitude will become "What **** am I gonna be hauling to the broker this time?"

When you have better equipment than you ever pull, some of the shine goes away from the game. I suggest you stay away from the auction house, browse the brokers for good ideas of what you will eventually want to get (and what is possible to drop) and just enjoy the game. Being poor may end up being the most fun you have. Trust me.

Don't get me wrong - the game is still a blast at high levels, and being rich does have its benefits, but I really think running through the game beggardly poor in the beginning is part of the experience. Don't sweat the loot.

JOTMON
01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
The Gold will come.....

Starter tips.
Invest in a haggle item and find a heroism/GH clickie(Xorian cipher). to boost your haggle when buying/selling.

Spend an hour looking at things in the auctionhouse sorted by $. see what is worth $$$.
In particular look at ingredients. these are generally low value items that sell for much higher than their base value.
When questing click on every clickie bookshelf/mosspile.. whatever... some of the most valuable ingredients are rare drops from these. Vials of Pure water, Khyber Tomes.. these are items used in Alchemal crafting and higher level toons will pay to get instead of grinding to find.

Most of the things we loot from chests are worthless vendor trash, the local bartender will give you much less than you can get value for. sell weapons to the Trader in House D and armor in House K,. Don't bother Auctioning items unless you can get 1.5x face value or more. the AH takes a 30% cut of your sale.

Loot every chest and ask those that don't to flip their items of interest to you(anything worth $$).
Continuously upgrade your items as the come along.

Grouping with same people regularly/guidies. Give up good items that are usefull to others and let them know if you are looking for something specific. Often someone else will pull something you are looking for or is a good fit for you and will gladly send to you if they know you are looking. Karma comes into play here as well. by giving good items to others they typically will remember this when they come across something for you(not allways but is still worth doing).

Buy/keep clickies of items you may buy potions of.
The clickies reset every shrine, potions are just gone...

Eventually you will get the gear that will best suit you and everything else will be converted to cashflow or parked away for the up and coming toons.

LordMond
01-14-2010, 02:15 PM
How come numbers are so high?

One reason is that the game does not have all that many "money sinks" as compared to other games- limited crafting system, no housing, etc., so there aren't many ways to remove money from the game. The result is that there is an artificially inflated money supply that gets worse every day.

At lower levels, you are sorta limited as to quests that you can do that have a chance at yeilding rare loot. One that I would suggest running as often as possible would be "Durk's Got A Secret" (correct the name, please, if I'm wrong) in the Harbor. There is a chance that a rare ooze will spawn and there is a chance that he will drop a nice club called a Muckbane (does not take damage when used against oozes, slimes or puddings!) that sells for nice coin on the AH.

Beyond that, all I can suggest is to loot everything you come across and sell it. Every copper adds up- slowly, yes, but it does.

gorloch
01-14-2010, 02:37 PM
. One that I would suggest running as often as possible would be "Durk's Got A Secret" (correct the name, please, if I'm wrong) in the Harbor. There is a chance that a rare ooze will spawn and there is a chance that he will drop a nice club called a Muckbane (does not take damage when used against oozes, slimes or puddings!) that sells for nice coin on the AH.

You are right on the quest. Muckbane is the only level 2 item that I still use at 20. ;)

PIXA