PDA

View Full Version : A few questions

durzob
01-11-2010, 03:49 PM
So I decided to download and try out DDO, and I was wondering how enjoyable it is without purchasing store stuff? Are there things there that I need to have to make this game great, or am I fine with the free version, at least for the time being?

I am a big rogue class type of person. Played a rogue in WoW to 80 and played a Burg in LotRo, (only at 48 with him at the moment though). Do rogues play similarly here?

I have never really played D&D so I am not sure how this MMO compares to others. Is it a big world with different zones/quests and some dungeons/instances here and there?

Is there a preferred server for someone new to the game to start on?

I am very interested in Dungeons and Dragons, purchased NWN off of Amazon, (though still waiting fer it), and thought this might be a fun game to play.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
It is instances only. The only people you will see in the area when questing, is the players in your group.

evilgardengnome
01-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Welcome to DDO. The free stuff will keep you busy until about level 10. Free content gets thin after that. As you play you will receive Turbine Points for favor acheivements. These TP are used to pay for more content (quests, gear, additional races, classes, morecharacter slots, etc.)

I can't comment on rogues here versus other MMO's, and I don't really play them here.

As far as the best server to play on - Thelanis is the best! (/feeds the trolls)

Sir_Chonas
01-11-2010, 04:16 PM
I'd say you can get to 14 without spending anything. Just make sure you run the slayers/explorers/rares in the explorable areas, do tempest spine, stormcleave outpost, redwillow's ruins, and the tear of dhakaan at level so you don't waste exp. Also make sure you don't forget about ataraxia's haven which has more explorer area/high level quests. AND the 4 new quests you should be able to do at least 2 of.

People mostly recommend joining Orien since it's a new server (hence will mostly be new players). However, Khyber seems to be going through a revival with tons of reincarnations every day.

Lagin
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Welcome to DDO. The free stuff will keep you busy until about level 10. Free content gets thin after that. As you play you will receive Turbine Points for favor acheivements. These TP are used to pay for more content (quests, gear, additional races, classes, morecharacter slots, etc.)

As far as the best server to play on - Thelanis is the best! (/feeds the trolls)
/signed Thelanis ROCKS

Sebiale
01-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Khyber FTW.

DasLurch
01-11-2010, 09:00 PM
/signed Thelanis ROCKS

Is that why everyone from Thelanis is moving over to Khyber? Hmmm, me thinks it's time to call shenanigans....

As for the OP

How the game is set up, some have already stated that all the quests are instanced. So there is no area where people kill sit on a spawn area. You will only ever see the people you are grouped with in a dungeon.

This game is much different from any of the MMO's you mentioned earlier. That doesn't make it better or worse, just different. I think that you will be suprised by the depth of the ruleset, and the customability of the characters you can create. I hope that you do giv e it a try. I think you might find it fun and challenging.

As for your Rogue question, I think you are in for a very rude awakening when it comes to rogues. They are a very fun class here, but are not at all like ones in other games. they tend to be very dependant on other classes for optimum game play, and are about the worst class here for solo play. They do still hit for a ton of dps, but they have a very hard time dealing with the aggro that comes with it.

Your question about servers is best answered like this: if you want to be with alot of newwer subscribers/players, try Cannieth or Orien as they are the 2 newwest servers. If you don't care, try any of them. We all get along, even when some of the others are misguided as to how cool their servers are. :D

Kralgnax
01-12-2010, 09:00 AM
So I decided to download and try out DDO, and I was wondering how enjoyable it is without purchasing store stuff? 7.5 Gigafuns more or less. The game is viable through moderate level 100% F2P, but you will have some incoveniences. Premium costs <$10 and is well worth considering if you play for more than a few days.

Are there things there that I need to have to make this game great, or am I fine with the free version, at least for the time being? As above

I am a big rogue class type of person. Played a rogue in WoW to 80 and played a Burg in LotRo, (only at 48 with him at the moment though). Do rogues play similarly here? Combat rogues (Assassins & Acrobats) are broadly siimilar in combat mechanics to a rogue in WoW - though there are extra skills needed (Traps & locks) and stealth is skill based, not automatic - based on my combat-specced 70 Rogue from WoW

I have never really played D&D so I am not sure how this MMO compares to others. Is it a big world with different zones/quests and some dungeons/instances here and there? There aren't really the jkind of big outdoors zones like The Barrens, Nagrand and Dragonblight. Also, all non-city zones are instanced & no mounts.

Is there a preferred server for someone new to the game to start on? Take your pick.

I am very interested in Dungeons and Dragons, purchased NWN off of Amazon, (though still waiting fer it), and thought this might be a fun game to play.

Welcome to DDO! Answers in Yellow.

Blackrains
01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
If you played an assassination or a combat build, you notice a huge difference in play style. In DDO, you will need to not have aggro or the creature to be held or buffed or be stealthed to xd6 of damage, which makes up a good bit of your dps. You are a lot squishier and will not have a lot of health. Soloing is doable; there are easier classes at lower levels. Take the time to read the forums on rogues there are some good posts in there. Look at some of the builds for rogues. Take some time to plan your build before starting. You will remake your rogue a couple of times as you learn the game. DDO has a lot of flexibility with what you can do with your character. There are no repecs in DDO. You can swap out feats and reset your enhancements, but you can never change your stats. Glad to have you join us. Hope to see you on the Thelanis server.

SoulDecay
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
You don't have to be behind them to get sneak damage, you just need to not have agro.

IanW09
01-12-2010, 03:47 PM
Rogues are the same in DDO as anywhere else - huge DPS but squishy and in close combat, so it's all about the aggro control.

Remember Diplomacy skill - it's a taunt that works in reverse rather than an aggro dump.

My plan would be to form a mini-assist train - chase around someone big with a 2 handed weapon, and let them get the first swing in and then just hit what they hit.

durzob
01-12-2010, 05:41 PM
Welcome to DDO! Answers in Yellow.

If I switch to subscription based, (which tells me it is 14.99 a month, not 10), do I get a free month? Does that unlock everything, or will I still need to get things off the store eventually?

IanW09
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
It will unlock all content, and give you free TP per month (about 500).

You can either use those free TP for things like Warforged, monk etc that are not unlocked, or save them for buying content if you got FTP again.

Ingo
01-12-2010, 11:06 PM
If I switch to subscription based, (which tells me it is 14.99 a month, not 10), do I get a free month? Does that unlock everything, or will I still need to get things off the store eventually?

When you subscribe, you get access to all quest content and can create 10 characters per server. Some things, like Drow race or Favored Soul class, remain locked until you either earn enough favor points to unlock them on the server where you earned the points, or purchase them from the DDO store with Turbine Points (TP), which unlocks them for all servers (even if you cancel the sub and revert to free to play).

You can earn free TP by completing quests and amassing favor points (FP, like reputation). You can earn TP from favor this way on each character on each server and they all go into one pool that you can use to purchase stuff from the DDO store in-game. Anything you purchase with TP is permanent, even if you purchase when a subscriber and then cancel the sub.

When you subscribe, you get a bonus 500 TP each month that you're subbed.

You can also purchase TP with cash (watch for sales!).

If you spend any money, whether by subscribing for as little as one month, or buying the smallest TP package, your Free to Play account changes to Premium. (If you sub for a month and then cancel, you revert to Premium level and not all the way down to F2P.) Premium is an improved F2P which permits 4 characters rather than 2 and eliminates restrictions on mail, chat, max cash, and use of the auction house. (If you spend real money, then you're not likely to be a gold farmer so a number of restrictions get lifted.)

One last hint - if you can find and buy an original DDO boxed set, you can enter the CD key with your F2P account to become a subscriber for one month. Some people have been able to find the box for less than a one month sub, including shipping, so it can be a better deal than subbing for a month. You also get the 500 TP for that month.

Have fun!

durzob
01-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Thanks.

I'll keep a look out for a boxed copy. Still a bit overwhelmed by the game, and a bit nervous to try grouping yet. Not sure if I want to pay 2 MMO subs, (also playing LotRo which I very much enjoy). But I have been reading up a bit on the game and will continue to do so.

Btw, I really love the graphics.

Sinni
01-13-2010, 06:24 AM
there is one thing about rogues that hasn't been mentioned yet (or i just haven't seen it): rogues in DDO are not only squishy melee damage dealers like in WoW or LotRo, they also have a unique ability only to rogues: they can disable traps and unlock locked doors (tough casters can to the latter too). some quests have no traps at all, others have tons of them. a dangerous trap in elite difficulty can easily kill an unsuspecting caster (and other people without evasion or really high hitpoints)

and they have use magic device as a class skill which allows them to use a lot of utility stuff (equipment they couldn't wear otherwise or use magic wands and scrolls)

btw: there is no need for a boxed copy of the game. and don't be afraid to group, just join a lfm and tell them you are new so the more experienced players can explain stuff to you instead of just zerging the quest.

Kralgnax
01-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks.

I'll keep a look out for a boxed copy. Still a bit overwhelmed by the game, and a bit nervous to try grouping yet. Not sure if I want to pay 2 MMO subs, (also playing LotRo which I very much enjoy). But I have been reading up a bit on the game and will continue to do so.

Btw, I really love the graphics.
I really like the graphics too/(especially the chiaroscuro lighting)

For my 2 cp worth, by all means hold off subscribing for now, but do buy some Turbine Points from the store if you like the game at all (esecially if you can't find a boxed set). The smallest TP pack is <$10, it gets you premium status forever (4 characters/ server, 50 auction limit, gold restrictions off, full acess to mail, chat & the forums) - more points gives you more options, but you certainly don't need to buy anything for a while.

Good hunting!

IanW09
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
This is going to sound like weird advice - but if you're new, play Permadeath.

Permadeath groups dont zerg, and they generally dont use spoilers.

As a rogue, you're always welcome in PD (traps are killers).

There are PD guilds on most servers, and they tend not to mind F2P people, so ask in Advice or general.

7-day_Trial_Monkey
01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
It will unlock all content, and give you free TP per month (about 500).

You can either use those free TP for things like Warforged, monk etc that are not unlocked, or save them for buying content if you got FTP again.

False. Warforged and Monk are available to any VIP right away. Drow, 32 point builds, vet characters and Favored Souls are the one's VIPs have to either earn with favor or buy in the store.