PDA

View Full Version : Frost Lance vs. Polar Ray

vettkinn
01-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Let's say we have a level 16 sorcerer, is it possible that Frost Lance could be superior to Polar Ray SP wise?

Frost Lance = at level 11 causes 12d10 damage (120 damage) and costs 20 SP (but damage is halved with a successful fortitude save)

Polar Ray = at level 16 causes 16d6 damage (96 damage) but causes 45 SP (No saves? Please confirm :) )

Share your insights comrades :)

Feylina
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
no save on polar ray makes it one of the best (if not the best with sup eff viii clicky) dps / sp.

the critability of the frost lance could make it comparable if they ever get it working right. Maybe this is only a bug for me but i only get 2 of the 3 lances. if it had the 3 i could see it being a great addition to dps thought i can't see it overtaking my polar ray unless i was out of clickys :).

Faelyndel
01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
You are correct, Polar Ray (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Polar_Ray) has no save.

According to your data, Frost Lance would be surperior, for a damage per SP ratio, assuming the monster failed their save. However, 12d10 has a MAX damage of 120, not average, and 16d6 has a MAX of 96, not average. Rolling 16 die as opposed to 12 would put Polar Ray at a higher average I believe, especially if monsters tend to make their save on Frost Lance. Though for over double the SP cost...

Also, Empower and/or Maximize would put Polar Ray ahead of Frost Lance because of its higher average damage, if I am not mistaken, though again more SP-intensive.

vettkinn
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks for your responses, comrades.

You are correct, Polar Ray (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Spell:Polar_Ray) has no save.

According to your data, Frost Lance would be surperior, for a damage per SP ratio, assuming the monster failed their save. However, 12d10 has a MAX damage of 120, not average, and 16d6 has a MAX of 96, not average. Rolling 16 die as opposed to 12 would put Polar Ray at a higher average I believe, especially if monsters tend to make their save on Frost Lance. Though for over double the SP cost...

Also, Empower and/or Maximize would put Polar Ray ahead of Frost Lance because of its higher average damage, if I am not mistaken, though again more SP-intensive.

That's right, polar is just consumes too much SP. Casting Frost Lance twice will still cost less and damage more than Polar Ray even if all blasts get a successful fortitude save.

In my build, I only get access to one level 8 spell, I guess it would be better to take advantage of Irresistible Dance then :)

Junts
01-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Let's say we have a level 16 sorcerer, is it possible that Frost Lance could be superior to Polar Ray SP wise?

Frost Lance = at level 11 causes 12d10 damage (120 damage) and costs 20 SP (but damage is halved with a successful fortitude save)

Polar Ray = at level 16 causes 16d6 damage (96 damage) but causes 45 SP (No saves? Please confirm :) )

Share your insights comrades :)

You got the damages pretty wrong. Spells don't do max damage. polar ray at 16 does 16 * 3.5 damage base, whereas frost lance does 3 separate 4 * 5.5 damage hits. However, there are saves on frost lance, and resistances apply separately to each bolt.

Polar ray has no save. It is superior in every way, and continues to scale to 20d6, whereas frost lance does not.

FL, however, can be marginally better than cone of cold single target, if mobs fail their saves against you regularly.

However, since FL loses 3x as much damage to any cold resistance, it gets pretty owned on most targets, which tend to have at least 10 or 20 pointers (which are only 10-20 points off pr or coc, but are 30-60 points off of frost lance).

Frost lance does not cost less sp, because if you are casting it without heighten spell (which equalizes the sp cost), its saving throw is so pathetically bad to have it not be worth casting at any single-target mob, most of whom are bosses. Polar ray is a much better spell.

However, getting glaciation for polar ray is more difficult, so it will nto be as good until you get effects that increase level 8 spell damage.

WarDestroyer
12-23-2010, 04:52 PM
The Lance has 3 shots. it means that if the monster have resist of cold of 20, 20*3=60 so it will deal 60 damage less
Ray will be normal resist of 20

Vellrad
12-23-2010, 04:59 PM
At lv16 there is no superior glaciation VIII (unless we're talking about ice games crafting), so you should add +50% or +75% to your lance's damage. In my opinion, lance is better as soon as you get polar ray, but ray becames better as you level up. The lance's dissadvanteges are the fact that it can be saved, resists got tripple strength, and there are 3 separate crit rolls.

ArloOne
12-23-2010, 05:02 PM
I use both, spam that frosty goodness....buy more ddo pots if you need more mana.....!!

Happy Holidays!

Alyiakal
12-23-2010, 05:20 PM
I had thought it was weird that I hadn't seen any posts from Comrade vettkinn in a while...

Nice thread necro O.o