PDA

View Full Version : Fighting while swimming

dunklezhan
01-10-2010, 02:16 PM
in fact, doing ANYthing while swimming - how come the monster can, but I can't? Would upping my swim skill improve this? I've heard about items of underwater action - would that fix it? Does every monster in the game including the wolves just happen to HAVE one of these items?

I've done a quick search but nothing obvious turned up. Anyone know what this is about?

SolarDawning
01-10-2010, 02:18 PM
There is no fighting while swimming in this game.
Players do not, monsters do not.
If a monster enters deep enough water that it would have to swim, it instantly despawns, and respawns at it's starting point.

Underwater Action just gives the ability to stay underwater indefinitely.

dunklezhan
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Sorry. that's simply not the case. The drow wizards in searing heights regularly stand in water deep enough that a player has to swim, while they chuck spells. The wolves regularly stand in water deep enough that you can't swing at them while they eat you.

The trogs in Tangleroot also have no problem.

dredre9987
01-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Sorry. that's simply not the case. The drow wizards in searing heights regularly stand in water deep enough that a player has to swim, while they chuck spells. The wolves regularly stand in water deep enough that you can't swing at them while they eat you.

I have to call BS on this. if a mob goes into water deep enough that IT would have to swim it is automatically leashed back to its spawn spot with full HP. Proven time and time again.

Fighting underwater is NOT in this game.

Underwater Action: This item grants its wearer the ability to breathe water as if it were air.

SolarDawning
01-10-2010, 03:19 PM
The drow wizards in searing heights regularly stand in water deep enough that a player has to swim, while they chuck spells.

Did I say that the player and monster swim depth was always the same? No, I did not.
I said "If a monster enters deep enough water that it would have to swim, it instantly despawns, and respawns at it's starting point."

A troll, for example, can stand and walk in slightly deeper water than my halfling can. It seems to vary from mob to mob.

dunklezhan
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Did I say that the player and monster swim depth was always the same? No, I did not.
I said "If a monster enters deep enough water that it would have to swim, it instantly despawns, and respawns at it's starting point."

A troll, for example, can stand and walk in slightly deeper water than my halfling can. It seems to vary from mob to mob.

That would make sense, and maybe drow are taller than they look - but trogs are certainly not taller than my human, and neither are the wolves. Its something all three members of our static group have experienced. To the point where our fighter has to jump and swing standing right next to the mobs in order to have a shot at hitting them. Not a problem for melee mobs as they'll follow you but those casters are killers.

I don't dispute what you say, if its been proven. But either:

1. there are a couple of zones or mobs which are bugged
2. All three of us are utterly incompetent (which I'd accept if it was just me, but it isn't and the other two are very experienced gamers) or
3. we must be the unluckiest group ever, if the mobs we're finding keep locating the exact few pixels which would allow them to stand while we, regardless of where we try to stand around them, can only swim.

Next time it happens I will attempt to take screenshots. I don't have the ability to take video, but I'll see what I can manage.

vettkinn
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM

Haha comrade, I know what you mean. On the river path on the way to Guck (Muck's Cousin :) ) there are drows and wolves stationed in the islands. There are deep areas where you are forced to swim, but the wolves keep chasing and biting anyway.

My advice (and what I did) is that you keep jumping and swinging your weapon while in the water. If you jump above the water (is that the correct term?) you can swing at least once or cast a single spell. This is probably a game design flaw or a bug, but hopefully my workaround helps :)

dunklezhan
01-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Haha comrade, I know what you mean. On the river path on the way to Guck (Muck's Cousin :) ) there are drows and wolves stationed in the islands. There are deep areas where you are forced to swim, but the wolves keep chasing and biting anyway.

My advice (and what I did) is that you keep jumping and swinging your weapon while in the water. Even if in deep water, if you jump you can swing at least once or cast a single spell. This is probably a game design flaw or a bug, but hopefully my workaround helps :)

That is exactly the location I'm talking about, and those are exactly the wolves (and occasional spot for the drow wizard in question). And yes, that is the tactic we've had to resort to if we don't have effective single target range damage.