PDA

View Full Version : Does it matter in which order you multi-class ??

pappo
01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Does it matter when you multiclass if you are only taking 2 levels of something.
For example. I have a level 7 human fighter (THF Kensai I) and then I saw an article about the value of taking 2 levels of rogue. However the article shows the 2 rogue levels being taken at level 1 & 2 and then 18 levels of fighter.

What are the plus & minuses of taking the two rogue levels later ?

dredre9987
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Does it matter when you multiclass if you are only taking 2 levels of something.
For example. I have a level 7 human fighter (THF Kensai I) and then I saw an article about the value of taking 2 levels of rogue. However the article shows the 2 rogue levels being taken at level 1 & 2 and then 18 levels of fighter.

What are the plus & minuses of taking the two rogue levels later ?

if you plan on multiclassing with rogue it is always better to take it as your first level for the extra skill points alone.

pappo
01-09-2010, 12:33 PM
if you plan on multiclassing with rogue it is always better to take it as your first level for the extra skill points alone.

That makes sense. I had not thought of that. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Sirea
It's a good idea to take at least one level of rogue first to take advantage of the huge amount of skill points a rogue gets at character creation. You don't necessarily have to take the second rogue level at level 2, just take it whenever you want evasion (usually around level 9 or 10), but keep in mind if you want to use evasion properly, you can't be in medium or heavy armor.

Lleren
The plus and minus is 24 skill points

Dartwick
01-11-2010, 02:12 PM
If you are planning to be a trap monkey it also makes sense to spread out your rogue levels so you can efficiently dump points in search and disable.

Talon_Moonshadow
01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Which ever class has the most skill points should be the one you take at lvl 1.

Also if you take a second lvl of a class with a lot of skill points, later you can use it to quickly beef up a class skill for that class.

For example, taking a second lvl of Rog at lvl 9 would allow you to take all 8 skill points at that lvl and put them into UMD for a massive boost to that skill.

And then there is BaB and saves to think about.

if you were building a Rog/Wiz/Clr for arguments sake, and at lvl 3 you were a Rog1/Wiz1/Clr1, you would have a BaB of zero and have a lot of trouble hitting things.

Similarly a Ftr1/Pal1/Rgr1 would have a will save of zero and have basically no defense against fear and hold spells.

So you do need to look at the compendium charts and plan your lvl ups accordingly.