PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever done the math for costs/time?

Sebiale
01-07-2010, 09:45 PM
Basically, at this point, is it cheaper (in the long run, as in months/years) to buy things individually, or to just get VIP status?

7-day_Trial_Monkey
01-07-2010, 10:42 PM
Many have done it. And those who have, came to the conclusion that it's better to buy individually. However, every one of those opening posts left things out that people pointed out to them leaving the decision up in the air.

The biggest issue is that you can't really factor in future content costs. VIPs will get it all, but you have no idea how often they will come and what it will end up costing the Free Players.

The most recent thread I saw come to the conclusion that what you would have to pay for free is comparable to what a VIP pays in a year.

However they made the following errors:

- left out the 500/month free points VIPs get
- based VIP cost on monthly rate, ignoring that many buy longer terms and pay as little as $10/month

Freeman
01-07-2010, 10:44 PM
The final word in the matter is that it is up to you. Some people choose one way, some choose the other, and it really becomes a matter of how you play and how you value things. Look at it and decide. There's no right or wrong answer.

Lorien_the_First_One
01-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Depending how you calculate it, the breakeven point is either around 1 year or 2 years... I'm not sure I'll still be here in a year so monthly is cheaper... If you are certain you will be here for more than 2 years, buying pieces is cheaper

melkor1702
01-07-2010, 10:53 PM
It will also depend on how much you're prepared to grind for points or if you want the new sparkley race, class, item, quest etc now

Sebiale
01-07-2010, 11:31 PM
I'm trying to decide if I should get VIP status and toss the subscription to WoW until cataclysm comes around, or keep WoW and go through Eberron pure F2P for awhile until I finish leveling my Warlock...

ivar415
01-08-2010, 03:00 AM
If you can, go VIP at least once. I wish I could.
The permanent change (http://furlugedepot.com/2009/09/15/the-true-price-of-ddo-unlimited-free-to-play/) to your account is a nice thing to have.

Sebiale
01-08-2010, 04:06 AM
If you can, go VIP at least once. I wish I could.
The permanent change (http://furlugedepot.com/2009/09/15/the-true-price-of-ddo-unlimited-free-to-play/) to your account is a nice thing to have.

Well that article made me see the benefits of VIPness, but I still don't get what you mean by 'permanent change'.

dunklezhan
01-08-2010, 04:16 AM
going VIP for a month is equivalent of buying something with cash - it makes your account premium. However it makes you premuim permanently. This means you get to keep your two free extra character slots, longer afk before auto-logout time, and a couple of other minor bits.

If, as F2P you buy some points, making yourself premium, then if you don't buy something else for a period of time (can't remember exactly how long) then I beleive you lose these 'premium' benefits.

Edit:
I would also say - I started F2P, bought a bunch of stuff on premium, then went VIP. I was swayed by the xmas TP bonus gifts that were running, to be honest, I may lapse and go back to premium in a month or so when the 3month package I bought expires. But that's because I'm in a static group which plays most nights, and the other two players are Premium - if they don't have an adventure pack, then we can't do certain quests. Although I'm VIP at the moment and therefore have access to all the content, I am not actually making use of it - so its not really that efficient in terms of time/cost.

voidholder
01-08-2010, 04:51 AM
If, as F2P you buy some points, making yourself premium, then if you don't buy something else for a period of time (can't remember exactly how long) then I beleive you lose these 'premium' benefits.

I have never heard of this before, and I doubt that it is true. Spending money to premium will certainly make you have the extra character slots and other premium perks indefinitely too.

The break-even point between premium and VIP at 1,5 years sounds about right, but of course that varies a lot depending on deals used to buy things. You don't need to buy everything, but you will likely spend more money as premium up front.

One VIP benefit that all the charts are missing is that you can open quests on hard even when you have not completed them on normal yet.

dunklezhan
01-08-2010, 06:32 AM
I have never heard of this before, and I doubt that it is true. Spending money to premium will certainly make you have the extra character slots and other premium perks indefinitely too.

The break-even point between premium and VIP at 1,5 years sounds about right, but of course that varies a lot depending on deals used to buy things. You don't need to buy everything, but you will likely spend more money as premium up front.

One VIP benefit that all the charts are missing is that you can open quests on hard even when you have not completed them on normal yet.

I'm sure I read something about it back in september when I started playing, but can't remember the specifics (which is why I said 'I beleive' - intentionally tied not to be unequivocal. I've done a little digging just now, and found this, which the OP may find helpful, its the official thread on the consequences of going from VIP to F2P:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=185146

Arculea
01-08-2010, 07:37 AM
going VIP for a month is equivalent of buying something with cash - it makes your account premium. However it makes you premuim permanently. This means you get to keep your two free extra character slots, longer afk before auto-logout time, and a couple of other minor bits.

Nope,
the only thing that is time limited for a premium account is the premium technical support. Everything else (+2 char slots, higher limits for things like AH and so on) is permanent.

There was a bug (or wrong setting) a short time after ddo went F2P, where all premium settings would be time limited. It was however reported as a bug and fixed. Now everything except premium technical support is permanent, as it should.

So it doesn´t make a difference whether you get your premium account by buying TP for money, or by downgrading from a VIP account ;)

dunklezhan
01-08-2010, 07:44 AM
the only thing that is time limited for a premium account is the premium technical support. Everything else (+2 char slots, higher limits for things like AH and so on) is permanent.

There was a bug (or wrong setting) a short time after ddo went F2P, where all premium settings would be time limited. It was however reported as a bug and fixed. Now everything except premium technical support is permanent, as it should.

So it doesn´t make a difference whether you get your premium account by buying TP for money, or by downgrading from a VIP account ;)

Huzzah!

Sebiale
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=185146

Seems about right to me.

Rumbaar
01-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I create a thread on this a little while ago:
Why would I go VIP? (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=219749)
I did miss off 100TP in my calculations, so the surplus is actually 148. As you get 625TP for a 1750+ favor on your first character and not 525TP. Also levelling sigils will no longer be an issue either.

As for getting it for $10 per month, please point to a subscription model that a new player can get which equals this. As the only current option is US $143.40 Every 12 Months (20% Savings) which equals $11.95 per month.