PDA

View Full Version : fused metals

My-Gardian-Angel
01-07-2010, 06:29 PM
Ok this maybe the most Idoitic Idea I ever said (In my opinion it is) But why not make people able to fuse two or three metals together Ex: byshek and amadantie (sorry for the misspelling) or byshek, amadantie and flametouched Iron and so on and so forth (again sorry for the misspelling)

donfilibuster
01-07-2010, 07:03 PM
That question was up in PnP D&D and overall the answer is that it isn't possible:

If you make a suit of armor or weapon out of more than one special material, you get the benefit of only the most prevalent material. However, you can build a double weapon with each head made of a different special material.

Not all is lost tough, DDO introduced the Metalline weapons which cover this very need.
(silver excepted, as silver is alchemical)

As for the crafting itself, the D&D rules allow custom crafting yet naturally this applies to either a newly created weapon or upgrading one existing weapon to add more magic.
Merging two weapons accomplishes the same as melting them to craft a new one, even by magical means (short of a wish spell).

JOTMON
01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
That question was up in PnP D&D and overall the answer is that it isn't possible:

Not all is lost tough, DDO introduced the Metalline weapons which cover this very need.
(silver excepted, as silver is alchemical)

While it is a general rule of thumb and a bit more rigid in PnP, DDO sometimes bends the rules to fit as they please.
such as ...

Light and Darkness - (Shield) +5 Large Shield, Superior Stability, Protection +4, Resistance +4, DR 3/-, Adamantine, Mithral, Suppressed Power

This new shield is Adamantine and Mithral.

and the whole Metalline line to bypass all metals from the attack side is a strange one too, but very common in DDO.

WeaselKing
01-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Can you say silver + flametouched iron? XD

donfilibuster
01-08-2010, 05:07 PM
wow, adamantine+mithral, it'd be a new milestone in dwarven and elvish blacksmithing (or of wizard-doing, if a "wizard did it").
It'd be an alloy four times as powerful so that the end result weights half but still resists twice than the original all at once :-)
Not that there's any impossibles of course, and a welcome loot, tough metalline sort of covers it.

Another mixup i spotted on the random generator is that it sometimes lists some weapons as both masterwork and enchanted at once since it isn't needed and magic items are supposed to be automatically masterwork anyways.

My-Gardian-Angel
06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
*mutters* told you it was a stupid Idea